Smuel's good morning extravaganza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, May 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

If anyone was curious about Alien: Covenant, I would recommend it. Whereas Alien is borrows much from the slasher sub-genre of horror, Alien: Covenant is more or less straight up gothic horror, complete with what amounts to a creepy castle, pouring rain, Frankenstein-esque weird science and plenty of gore as well. Considering it's a sci-fi film, it was interesting to see Ridley Scott pay homage to a form of horror that you wouldn't naturally assume would go with sci-fi quite so well, and though I think it pulls it off it isn't so seamlessly blended as the slasher genre was with the original.

It is also more or less a direct sequel to Prometheus more so than it is an Alien film, which I think might be off-putting to some people, but I didn't mind - I always thought Prometheus was a reasonable film that fell short of people's sky high expectations with Ridley Scott returning to the Alien franchise. If you're a fan of the franchise it's definitely worth a watch, and it's a solidly entertaining 7/10 - probably an 8/10 for me personally for the unusual horror nods and the complex philosophical questions as well as great character development (well, of at least of one character) that occurs in the movie.

Good morning.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  3. Jojobobo

20something-ish+ celsius is definitely a great temperature to work in lab in, where trousers, some sort of upper clothing and a lab coat are all mandatory to protect yourself against the off chance you thought pouring acid all over yourself was a good solution to life's problems, particularly in a lab which is barely air-conditioned.

I hope you all have mornings the opposite of what my armpits smell like in the lab most days, however as you'll never know if I deodorise especially well or not that really could mean anything.

Morning, and here's a video on extremism. It's got John Cleese in it, so it's okay.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Hey, it worked for the Joker.

5. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    You think you've got it bad, it's like 30 degrees here in Germany.

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, I live in Germany now.

Guten morgen.

6. Jojobobo

No one cares Smuel. No. One. Cares.

But also, why have you moved to Germany?

Gunk Morgen. I remember I posted that as a play on guten Morgen awhile ago, and have since forgotten why that word play would be remotely funny.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Aww, I always suspected you harboured a deep and abiding affection for me. But don't worry little Joey-joey, I'll be back in about six months, if not sooner. Yes, it's true, "I live in Germany" was hyperbole of a sort, I haven't moved in any permanent sense, this is just temporary work thing. You see, about 4 months ago, I got invol... oh, wait, no one cares. Okay then.

Good mo... I mean GUTEN MORGEN, DU ENGLISCHER SCHWINE.

8. Jojobobo

There I finished it for you.

As for not caring, I was only joking around in my usual abrasive manner. How is Germany treating you?

Good morning.

PS In other news, Drog just dropped this bombshell. I'm not entirely sure how many people scroll all the way to the Arcanum section anymore, so I thought I'd mention it here.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  9. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Didn't realise he was still around working on Arcanum after his spaz attack like 7 years ago.

10. Jojobobo

Yeah I'm not sure if he's trolling or not. His best trolling was assuredly his lengthy posts about encounters with young asian teens. I remember Wolfsbane made a post that he was a sickening disgusting pervert (or something like that), but then he deleted it next time I looked.

Good times (well kind of, as we never really got to the bottom of whether Drog was a paedo and assumed it was trolling plus gallows humour) and Good Morning!

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Germany? ich habe nicht gewusst.

Well, I hope that Drog did something new for Arcanum. Because that would be good. However, I truly hope that we are NOT getting the same old thing as back then that people start to accuse him for supposedly plagiarism. If you know what I mean. Or getting another spaz attack and not finish it.

Not meant to be mean or negative or something.

Edit: And Gooooooood morning.

Edit1: Fuck. I really need to double-check my posts.

12. Jojobobo

I've been checking out the Codex thread, apparently he's working alongside the Russians this time (I know, crazy right) so there shouldn't be any squabbling.

Good morning.

13. Jojobobo

Hung parliament, whoop whoop. It's a bad state of affairs when both of the major parties are so bad that you start to hope for a hung parliament though (and even so, it looks like the Conservatives here will still be able to form a majority with the Northern Ireland party the DUP, unfortunately).

About the best result I could hope for in the UK general election, so good morning!

14. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Braveheart feels more remote now than ever before. I guess two major geopolitical experiments running parallel in the same region would be a bit too much of a mess for the press to handle anyway.

15. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

So, he actually made a pact with those whom he formerly disliked, so to speak.

Oh...and good morning.

16. Jojobobo

Yeah the SNP lost a lot of votes by pressing the matter further, which is fair as their tunnel vision has allowed other things to fall by the wayside in Scotland, such as education.

I started reading more about the DUP (not being born around the time of the Troubles, I'm not really all that familiar with Northern Irish politics). Apparently, they're dreadful - homophobes, racists, creationists, anti-abortionists, global warming deniers, and associated quite heavily with the Unionists' IRA counterpart the Ulster Defence Association (essentially a terrorist organisation). It's ironic given all the shit the Tories here gave the Labour leader about past IRA sympathies and ties, when they are literally getting straight into bed with people who are not much better. They are also super British - they really play up being British over anything else as unification with the UK is literally all they care about and they are very Eurosceptic, which really isn't going to help us negotiate Brexit.

So maybe the hung parliament situation isn't so good, particularly given that some concessions are going to have to be made to the mental DUP (though I suppose it's better than the Tories having a massive swinging dick majority and doing whatever they please). We now have a shit leader in May (U-turns on policies, dodges debates, has all the charisma of a bowl of cold soup, even her own party now hates her for calling this election and then losing their majority), likely a terrible government which will barely scrape a majority and will have a tough time getting any bills passed through if there's even a whiff of backbench dissension, and all the while the EU are getting ready to spread their cheeks and do a bum widening shit all over our sorry faces.

I blame Smuel.

A markedly less good morning than I thought, but still a Good Morning.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  17. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I found it weird that commentators were saying "Now that May has lost her majority, she'll pursue a hard Brexit in order to keep her base happy." Whereas of course if she had kept her majority they'd be saying "Now she has a mandate to pursue a hard Brexit." What kind of logic is that? It's almost as if they're saying that people in power do whatever they like and then come up with arbitrary reasons to justify it.

Good morning.

18. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I feel that Rupert Fucking Murdoch is the elephant in the room when it comes to all of these questions about how and why democracy votes for it's own demise.

There's a yuge tangle of "reasons" behind the hatemongering but the bottom line is that the ecopalypse will eventually require us to dismantle some entrenched economic institutions, and the media mogul would prefer us to dismantle all life on earth instead.

Good morning.

19. Jojobobo

Pretty much, unfortunately. I'm still holding out some hope that she'll get voted down by dissension in her own party, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well he didn't do such a good enough job this time, seeing as the Conservatives lost so many seats. Not for lack of trying however, with front pages like these (this and this). Allegedly he stormed out of the Times election party when he saw the exit poll indicating a hung parliament. Lovely impartial British media.

Good morning.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  20. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    You never realise how much you miss ytzk's ranting about the imminent collapse of civilization until you've been without for a few months.

How have you bean, old been?

Good morning.

Our Host!