Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

+1

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Spiffy...that's a bad post.

But yes, I agree with frosted ambassador about the bowmen being masters. It just seems so unrealistic (that's funny, talking about realism in a game with magick and orcs).
    An expert combatant is pretty fierce, so you may want to flat-line their ability to expert at the highest. Though, I admit that the challenge would be pretty entertaining if they were all masters...

3. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Sorry, I'm so used to the spam boards I go to! :lol:

But yeah, draw the line at Expert.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I haven't yet played a full game with her but she seems to be able to go to level 50 - if I'm reading this right:

{102}Priscilla Penn {Anatomical 1, Firearms 8, Heal 4, Anatomical 2, dx 11, firearms 16, heal 12, Anatomical 3, dx 13, Anatomical 4, st 10, firearms 20, dx 15, heal 16, Anatomical 5, heal 20, Anatomical 7, dx 20, st 12, dodge 12, maxhps 150, dodge 20, st 20, cn 20}

And yes, she quickly becomes a crack shot and is well worth having.
    I'd have to say she's the equal of Faithe.

Sort of - I used the character editor to change a half-elf female into a half-ogre. The alignment would have been 2 or 3 when I tested this, as that's where I normally set my test PCs. As for beauty, intelligence and such, they would have been dropped into the 3 to 4 range. In other words, extremely ugly, clumsy, and stupid.

Frigo said his lines every time.

Ok - You all convinced me. Max setting of Expert it is.

And just for the record - Your last sentence sums up my thoughts exactly.
    You want to kill these guys, then you're going to EARN that victory!

5. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I'm on the 3rd level of the Spider Cave (the level that has all the widowers on it) and have had another map malfunction.

[​IMG]

The last 2 levels were fine but the 3rd one is completely blank.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I got the same problem. For some reason the town map is going all the way back to a blank section just above the entrance at level one.

Now when I tried to scroll back to level three, the map refused to go beyond the very start of level three.

For me, this clinches it. I'll move the corpses to level one and remove the teleports from that level.

Thanks for telling me.

Edit: Job done.

7. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

Question:

How do random encounters work? Could you script random encounters to work like they would in Fallout, with prospectors/merchants potential random people?[/list]

8. Darkform

Darkform New Member

it would be neat to have a adventurer random encounter and maybe if your evil they attack.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I know from Car-Arcanum that random merchants is possible, but due to a lack of understanding the mechanics of how the encounters function, I was unable to make them work with my hack.

One of these days I'll try again.

10. Vorak

I assumed the Car Arcanum merchants were a faction like the Molochean Hand, they appear and initiate a conversation which contains a choice to barter.

Both the Molocheans and the Orc Bandits start out as non aggressive so I'd guess that Beddoes based his merchants on them.

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You are correct in they form a faction, show up at random intervals, but they don't start the conversation - you do.

And, what I was able to figure out about them is Chris started with the unused gnome protos and modified them. All in all, it was pretty good work as all the races and available genders were represented. One thing he did mess up on was setting them all for "guard" instead of "shopkeeper". That's why his merchants won't buy anything.

Once you have working protos, it seems to be a simple enough matter to add the random encounters into the WMap_Rnd.mes.
    But like I said, I was unable to get them to work back when I tried it shortly before the first release.

Edit: I've filled in Gaylin's floor and reset the dialog of the junk dealer in Dernholm.
    He was using #1814 Inventor instead of #1994 Junk Dealer.

Edit 2: Last call for bug-reports!
    I'd like to start packing the 4.2 version (yes, I finally settled on a name) within a day or two.

12. frosted ambassador

Bugs!

Obvious issues in Brandybuck... there is no person to buy the house from. (Maybe I'm confused.)

No access to Dernholm via the ship wheel.

In Roseborough, you can access the world map after going to the edge of the dock.

Isle of Despair issue with the fact that the secret landing can be found by anyone.

I still think that Harry "Baules" shouldn't have too much money.

The warehouse in northern Tarant (near Bates') containing mechanical arachnids, holds upwards of 200,000 dollars. Just a bit too much for a tiny struggle.

That tea lady in Brandybuck is extremely annoying. Just an opinion.

No Descriptions In Title:
    Old Mine.
    Old Blind Master.
    Port/Harbor Remains.
    Lighthouse, near Stringy Pete's.
    Catyr Freeport.
    Veloren Island.

Dialogue exceeds the general barrier in Ivory Lake. Skip a line or two.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Ambassador:

1) Read the sign, talk to the man in blue, and do the run-around. You'll eventually find Frigo Furbottom.

2) Not yet. The Dernholm to Norleigh ship is the only one at the port.

3) The docks in Roseborough just barely extend into another sector. It wasn't worth adding all the extra bitmaps of water just to include those little pieces.

4) True, but until I get everything needed for the last part of the Iron Clan treasure quest added, it's just an easy way for players to return to the island without messing with the existing set-up too much. Someday I'll see if I can make swap scripts work with ship's wheels so that new locations are accessable only after you learn about them.

5) Harry Baules' inventory is no longer accessable to thieves.

6) Thanks for reminding me. I just disabled most of the containers.

7) FINALLY!!! Someone says something about Weqia! I thought for sure I'd hear a million comments and complaints about her - but no....

Anyway, she's modeled after some real-life people I deal with. You know the type: Say hello and you're going to hear their entire life story with no possible means of politely bowing out. I figured, why should I have all the fun?

Besides, she helped add a bit more dialog to Racuu and her rambling chattiness allowed me to create a backstory about the hobbit-hole, plus tie it into the stock game with a reference to Tollo Underhill.

8 ) I did skimp on those, didn't I? Also - The listing for Catyr Freeport will be removed until I get the town built.

9) Everywhere you've mentioned the dialog exceeding the barrier has also been where I needed to convey a lot of information at once. Every line does get checked and adjusted as needed to (try to) make sure every word comes up.

14. frosted ambassador

1) Shouldn't Cattan consist of tropical grass, not normal grass?
    (Just a thought.)

2) Several times, upon leaving the mine near the old blind master's house, I am stuck in an endless void of black.

Question:

Why is it that sometimes, when I sell the same item over and over again, shopkeepers refuse it? (I don't recall this in normal Arcanum.)

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

1) Probably. The southern half should be tropical jungle too, but I didn't make the island. The landscape is stock game - grassland - and that's why I added comments about the island being deforested both in Brandybuck and Plainwicke.

2) The only one I made behind the Old Blind Master is An Old Mine, and you should not be able to enter that. I've got it set up for examine only and even then all you get is: "A glance inside is enough to show that the mine has collapsed. There isn't enough room to bother going in."

Are you sure you aren't talking about the section at Dwarrowdelf at the top of the Ancient Trail?

3) The refusal part sounds like an odd glitch. As long as the merchant has money and has the proper buy item listing, there sould be no trouble in selling something.

16. Vorak

It isn't an item related to a thieves guild quest is it? You can't sell those.

And I liked Weqia, that comment about 'One hour has passed, your bladder is getting full' was great.

17. frosted ambassador

Two More Issues:

Leabho, inkeeper has no dialogue when you click on her.

Dock's water beside it is very dark, while the actual water is bright.

All of your characters tend to say, "my good fellow" or, "my good man." I just think that's historically inaccurate.

18. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

I have a solution to followers not using grenades - make it so the grenade is an actual weapon that you equip in the weapon slot. Then make it so the grenade needs an ammunition to throw, and give it the same animation as throwing a grenade.

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

While I'm not certain about historical accuracy, I've seen those phrases used in the game and in period-piece movies. The latter usually had some big-city dandy saying it.
    Check out Tremors 4 - Hiram Gummer used such expressions frequently.

20. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

You know RRoyo...I was reading what you were posting about the Elven traders and such...and got to thinking about all those talks of furthering the Half-Ogre quest...

Wouldn'y it be trippy if, along with the Orcs and the Molochean hands, there were (a few, as in givena Random encounter, 1 in 10, maybe more) a chance of running into a troupe consisting of:

- Two Gnome firearms experts
    - Two ogre or Half ogre guards
    - A female prisoner

Dialogues could be like:

- Where are you taking that woman (if good)
    - Looks like you've got a hell of a party planned (if evil)

- Just seems a bit suspicious, two gnomes, ogres and a poor girl...what have you got planned for her (if player knows nothing of the conspiracy)
    - You bastards....I'll not let the horrors of Half Ogre Island continue!!! (they attack)
    - Rightey oh...take care (they leave).

Now the comabt would have to involve saving the girl, who's grateful and runs away, unaware of what was in store for her.

The gnomes, could have on them, cryptic clues as to the conspiracy and parhaps the location of a stronghold, that could be done in future versions.

What do you think? On paper at least?

Our Host!