Fallout: New Vegas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grakelin, Oct 13, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Or will it also have unkillable children? :roll:

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I really don't get it why - since Doom 2 has no problem with being called Doom's continuation nor does Fallout 2 with being called Fallout's continuation (and keeping in mind that both continuations use the same engine and all as the first games) - Vice City isn't called a continuation of GTA III, San Andreas of Vice City, Liberty City Stories of San Andreas, Vice City Stories of Liberty City Stories (despite the fact that that's what they are) and therefore for what reason (other than - in order to avoid suffering from the fan mentality of "the higher the continuation number the shitier the game" - trying to not make it look like cutting coupons off a good game's name, even though that's exactly what's being done) GTA IV isn't called GTA VIII. Same goes for the Worms series, Serious Sam series, Resident Evil series, five thousand other serieses and, in this case, Fallout: New Vegas being a continuation of Fallout 3 without being called Fallout 4.

4. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

New Vegas isn't a continuation of Fallout 3's storyline. I'm slightly confused at what you're getting at.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Now Muro, I'mma letcha finish, but first, I gotta say something. The reason for this is engines. Vice City was built upon the GTAIII engine. It was an improvement of that engine. This is also true for San Andreas. For GTAIV, they changed the name because the engine changed.

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Neither is Doom 3 continuing the storyline of Doom 2. It's actually a remake of the whole series, yet it's called its continuation (Doom *3* after all), so being the storyline's continuation or not doesn't have anything to do with being officially caled the game's continuation. What you're talking about is being the sequel of the game or not, and that doesn't equal being the continuation, since it can very well be a prequel or a remake.

Yet as I remarked earlier, the engine didn't change between Doom and Doom 2. Those engines are the same, so are the ones for Fallout and Fallout 2 (or they are slightly improved at best, yet surely not in a bigger scale than the ones from the successive games from the GTA saries), yet Doom 2 is called, well, Doom *2*, so is Fallout 2 called Fallout *2*. Keeping that in mind I don't see why isn't Vice City called GTA IV, San Andreas - GTA V, and so on. And - it being the reason why I started this whole thing after all - why isn't Fallout: New Vegas called Fallout 4.

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    What makes a game a sequel or not has nothing to do with engines, otherwise ToEE would be Arcanum 2, Bloodlines would be Half-Life 3 and The Witcher would be NWN 3 respectively. Clearly this is not the case. The real gem is to define what exactly makes a continuation worthy to be called a sequel or not, if such a definition could at all be made. Perhaps it is a trend in the gaming industry in recent years, as games in the days of yore pretty much always had n+1 affixed to their titles if they were continuations on a series, whereas nowadays it seems to be up to the whims of the developers/publishers.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Which reminds me how the n'th game of the Wolfenstein series is called Wolfenstein and how the n'th game of the Prince of Persia series is called Prince of Persia. Oh, so now we're not only cutting of the coupons out of the classic game titles, but we're kicking the said classics out of their rightful place on the golden throne marked as "the first game in the series" and replacing them with our newly made 3D super duper products, so that the future generations of players, when hearing Prince of Persia, will never ever think of the legendary 1989 game, nor will they even think that something like that might have existed. Because why should they? After all, it won't be their fault that they will be victims of the oh-so-very innocent name brainwashing, which is starting to take place (while naming a game GTA XIII at least leaves a hint that there really was, no, is a GTA I). How very fucking clever and logical of you, game developers. Fuck you and burn in hell.

10. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

These are the ones out for the computer and the only ones I've played;
    Grand Theft Auto
    Grand Theft Auto: London
    Grand Theft Auto: London 1969
    Grand Theft Auto 2
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    Grand Theft Auto IV

All great games, independent of names. While they were all great games, I didn't much care for GTA 2, and San Andreas. The former, I don't know why. The latter: going around tagging on walls? Seriously what the fuck? That's not mafia, that's just fucking moronic.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

So far I played GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas, yet I have a disc with the first two games (+London expansion) to play some day in the future. San Andreas was a impressingly enormous game, so full of possibilities that it hurts (positively, in contrast to how not-so-positively the need to eat in a GTA game hurts - I mean, the hell?), yet GTA III is the game I feel the most attached to. I return to it every now and then, and it was the only game in the GTA series I was able to complete in 100% without any help from the Webz (even though my first 100% was accomplished when I finished the game the fifth time, I believe). It seems It's been 1,5 year since my last playthrough and I feel like playing any time soon (which means whenever I will finally make myself go to the store and buy a new video card, since the last one died in an excruciatingly painful death, leaving me with an ancient card, which thankfully is "new" enough to run Arcanum and the Fallouts).

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Only problem I found with San Andreas was being forced to play a nig- I mean ghetto character.

13. Dodgy7

Dodgy7 New Member

I'm pretty attatched to the GTA games, I had (have?) GTA and GTA: London + 69, GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories and GTA IV, all for various PS consoles. I think I actually enjoyed San Andreas the most, although I know a lot of people didnt care for that one, and, unlike Xz, I used to play GTA 2 tons, so I guess that really proves the point of different opinions regarding these games. How can you not like a game that lets you drive a bus around town to make sausages out of the passengers?

As far as the Wolfenstein games go though, I dont see the major issue here. "Wolfenstein 3D", whilst awesome when it first appeared, has, in my opinion, lost a lot of it's replay value. Sure, spamming space around all the walls had its charm, and I fail to see how any game which includes Mecha-Hitler can be bad, but the controls always disappoint me when I try to play it again. Also, if you do look at the titles, "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" does imply that there was actually something going on there before, although the newest "Wolfenstein" doesnt really tell the tale. I'm not saying that the game wasn't groundbreaking when it arrived (3D!), but I dont agree that some 15 year old who buys "Wolfenstein" today should be asking questions about where this game came from. I would even go as far as to question the relevance of the previous games, apart from the obvious ones with the presence of B.J Blazkowicz, nazis and the paranormal (if you count the spear of destiny along with "Wolfenstein 3D"). Sure, there is some name dropping in "Wolfenstein", but bear in mind that there's nine years between "Wolfenstein 3D" and "Return to Castle Wolfenstein", and another eight between that one and "Wolfenstein".

(I have not been counting the Castle Wolfenstein and Beyond Castle Wolfenstein games as part of this series as they really belong to a different genre.)

14. Xz

Racist, are we?

15. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

That was more of a play on words, however I tend not to play female characters or races other than human in most cases, so the chance to play a Caucasian when given the opportunity is much more appealing to myself. It may be lame in an RP sense but its what I do best, be lame.

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That's the attitude I like. I simply don't like how a new game based on/being a continuation to an older classic one decides to have a name which makes her look like she's the first game in the series. It's just like if I wrote a book with my very own shitty ideas and called it "The Bible" instead of "The Bible II", because "the first one simply isn't keeping up and it needs to be reintroduced without any tribute to the original in the name". Not that that wouldn't be good in this example, but I guess you get the point.

Holy fuck, the eagerness with which the time insists to pass terrifies me!

Racism is one thing, not liking the attitude of a 'nigga from da hood yo yo bitch' is another. That's the reason why, after I obtained a copy of the game, it took me two solid years to actually play it more than half an hour. Tolerating the ghetto atmosphere and pretending it isn't there was truly a hard task for me, yet once done, it finally allowed me to enjoy the awesomeness of the game.

17. Post-Internet Syndrome

Post-Internet Syndrome New Member

I must agree. Of the three 3D games (I have not played GTAIV), Vice City was the one with the most interesting main character. I have never been a fan of gangsta stuff.

18. Xz

I agree with this. I've yet to play trough San Andreas, the whole street gangster atmosphere put me off.

19. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I didn't mind the whole street gang thing. It was very "Boyz in the Hood" (which is what it was going for). Just like GTA III took themes from the Godfather, and Vice City took themes from Miami Vice, San Andreas took themes from Bad Boys. No big deal, lower income street culture just isn't what most of us are used to. Remember, these guys weren't just rapper posers (except for one character), they were actually poor people trying to get out of their position with the last avenue left. CJ was way more interesting that generic psychopath Tommy Vercetti, in my opinion.

GTA IV had the best story, though, probably because its influence was Eastern Promises. Niko Bellic = pro character.

20. Dark Elf

Media:
    GTA IV is great, especially as Brucie could be replaced with my steroid-abusing cousin without anyone noticing any difference.

The guy benchpresses 180 kg without breaking a sweat and is convinced that the world revolves around him, making conversations with him a bit tedious as they're essentially monologues meant to describe the full extent of his greatness.

Our Host!