Followers, Leveling and Waiting

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Jay, Feb 27, 2017.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jay

Jay New Member

Hi All!

I am playing a thief character for the first time, with prowling/sniping my main mode of attack. I want to have a few followers, basically to carry gear, and have them wait at the front of any area I go into. But I am curious if anyone knows whether they will level up when I do while waiting. They are so uncontrollable in combat, and I assume will miss up my prowling/sniping plan by rushing in at people. But I also don't want to stay at their original levels the whole game!

Thanks!

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I honestly have no idea, and most likely no one else does either. It's not too tricky to test early on yourself by telling Virgil to wait and rattling out some Shrouded Hills quests. If you intend to level high (bearing in mind the cap is at 50) they would only be a few levels behind you in any case, which doesn't make a practical difference.

I would say that the game doesn't really work so well for stealth in my experience, as you have to be a Prowling 5 Master to avoid being spotted much of the time - which isn't viable early game (and even late game, such mechanics are a little hit and miss). I have heard though that the Hushed Revolved can working from Prowling without you being noticed, but then you're just plinking away at them with the enemy having no ability to detect you - hardly a fun stealth experience. I'd advise for Backstab attacks pairing it with Stun or Stasis if magick or Throwing + Paralysis Grenades if tech, plus the previously mentioned Prowling, that way you have a back-up to get to a fun stealth attack if you can't manage it with Prowling.

Let me know if you have other questions and I'll try and answer them.

3. pavlekocev25

pavlekocev25 Member

Hi, you can leave them wait while you increase your experience, but every time in the moment when YOU level-up they need to be in your party if you want them to level-up too, good luck.

4. Jay

Jay New Member

Thanks to you both! Very interesting tips and insight! Appreciate having a resource here 15 years after this awesome game was released!

5. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

If they are nearby and waiting, they will sometimes level up with you. I don't know exactly how far away they can be and still level, but my guess would be that they can't be off screen as that is the necessary distance for allowing merchants to restock their wares.

Anyhow, I think there is a nice mod somewhere around here which levels up followers to your level when you (re)recruit them. It's pretty useful in your situation and if you want to a late-game low-level character like Weldo Rubin in your party. But why you'd want that is beyond me.

Our Host!