Good Old Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorak, Jan 31, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

2. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. Just bought a bunch of point-and-click adventure games for cheap.

TheDavisChanger likes this.
  3. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Arcanum's currently on sale for $1.49 USD.

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I'd buy that for a dollar...

...and 49 cents.

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Has anyone tried out GOG Galaxy yet? I'm curious if it's useful, but I also passionately despise Steam, so there's always that...

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Why the steam hate? It's certainly not without it's problems, but as a gaming platform I've personally not had any problems with it. Bought many an indie game I probably wouldn't have through it.

If GOG Galaxy gains enough traction I'd be willing to jump on board.

7. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I'm not too fond of Galaxy myself. No major issues, but there are occasional problems with recognizing installed games. And Steam is a fair bit slicker at the moment. Can't remember how slick Steam were at launch though, so the comparison might be a bit unfair. To be frank, I much prefer installing GOG games without Galaxy, but I'd wager that I'd feel differently were my GOG library as well stocked as my Steam library. Multiplayer worked nicely, I spent about an hour playing Alien vs Predator without a hitch.

8. TheDavisChanger

A bunch of good games are on sale at GOG right now.

I've had my eye on Age of Wonders III but haven't purchased or played it due to the backlog of games I still have.
    Thea: The Awakening looks like it have more to offer in the 4X genre, but being so similar to Age of Wonders III I wouldn't double down on these even if I did have the time to play them both.
    Both Armello and Dust: an Elysian Tale look beautiful and are populated by furries. I've heard nothing but good things about Dust.
    Kingdom gets an honorable mention but I am less intrigued by it than those previously mentioned. There are other popular and more mainstream games on this list, but I haven't looked at them closely enough to have much interest.

Of the games I can actually vouch for, I've mentioned Dragon Commander before and still recommend it. I'd like to have another playthrough when I can find the time.
    I enjoyed The Cat Lady but it is difficult to recommend. Watch the trailers or gameplay to see if you think it's something you'd like.
    I started Deus Ex and being from 2000 it is pretty dated. I was impressed by the freedom the game offers but have lost interest and not returned to it.
    Papers, Please was an indie favorite a few years ago and how I approached it made it more of a fulfilling role playing experience than most RPGs I've played.

9. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Age of Wonders III for a while however in the end I felt it was lacking as most of those games when it comes to diplomacy.

10. TheDavisChanger

11. TheDavisChanger

Steampunk stories are the order of the day at GOG.
    If you haven't tried Dragon Commander yet I still recommend it, although lately Steam has had better deals on the more complete package. Recently I've been considering reinstalling it for another playthrough.
    The Swindle looks like it would be an amusing caper. Windforge is a thematic sandbox game but I never really got into it. I've played Syberia on the Nintendo DS and it wasn't anything special. If the PC version has anything more to offer I don't need to experience it. Also, Arcanum.
    You have three days to cash in.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2017
  12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Cheers for the update. I enjoyed dragon commander as well.

TheDavisChanger likes this.
  13. TheDavisChanger

Hoi chums, GOG is having a sale on city simulation games for the next three days.

Although I have played and enjoyed Anno 1701, I'm not much of a sim player. I mention this sale because it includes Lethis: Path of Progress, which is a steampunk themed city sim that I've followed on Steam for awhile. It looks to have only come to GOG two months ago and is not often discounted, probably due in large part to the fact that it isn't even a year old yet.
    Other honorable mentions on sale include Dungeons II an updated Dungeon Keeper clone and Banished a settlement building survival game. I've attached the survival qualifier to Banished because it looks tough as nails and rather than simply upgrading your population to fancier houses, you are practically combatting the natural elements to survive. Evil Genius is also a part of this sale and while I've heard good things about it, I'm not particularly inspired for giving it a go.

14. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Haven't played the Lethis game you mentioned but the others are a good bit of entertainment.

15. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I played Banished when it first came out and really enjoyed it. I would recommend it for sure if you can get it cheaply.

16. TheDavisChanger

Banished has my eye at the moment, but I don't know when I'd get around to playing it. My dilemma is if I get it now, will it have decreased in price by the time I get around to actually playing it? A shekel saved is a shekel earned.

In other news GOG has recently introduced GOG Connect, which is a service that will allow you to connect your GOG account to your Steam account so that select games from your Steam library are added to your GOG library. I generally consider GOG as the superior service because of the lack of DRM and the extra downloadables (particularly soundtracks) that are frequently packaged with GOG purchases, but GOG lacks the selection and bargains that Steam makes available. I just linked my accounts and now I have the soundtrack to Xenonauts where before I had no Xenonauts soundtrack and that's a big win in my book.
    The game publishers opt in on this service so the number of games that can be linked is limited. They also only opt in for a limited amount of time and once this time lapses, the specific games can no longer be linked. These games will be periodically replaced by other games, so check back at GOG every so often to see if you can score a DRM-free copy of your Steam games.

I cannot figure out why a publisher would choose to do this, but screw it -- free soundtracks.

17. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'm only like ten months late in responding, but hey: Until 2-3 months ago, my gaming rig was in a corner of the house that only had Wifi available, so I didn't give it internet access. Ever. Anything I wanted to download onto it was done so via downloading on a different machine, and then transferring over to it. However, once I setup the room to primarily be an office (There's now three computers and my private NAS in this room), I needed hardwired internet, and so I enabled AV on the system, let it spend three months running Windows Update, and now Steam isn't as big of a pain in the ass.

18. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I had to like, go back and read shit to understand my own words in the context of your reply.

Quick making me think thoughts man, one of the benefits of being the person who is spewing my mind garbage is I'm significantly less likely to have to read it than you poor bastards are.

19. MeowsePad

MeowsePad Member

Arcanum, Roller Coaster Tycoon, and SimCity 3000 Unlimited in 2019. I love the non-mainstream Internet.

20. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I don't think Caesar III has been mentioned in this thread, has it? More than 20 years old and yet no city builder since has ever come to close to it.

Our Host!