Hex editing protos, and Unofficial Patch

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by chuftka, Apr 14, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. chuftka

chuftka New Member

Hi all,

Years ago I made a number of mods for my own satisfaction - changes to weapons and armor, portraits, character backgrounds, schematics etc. I am now coming back to the game and would like to get back into it. Originally I avoided the Unofficial Patch because it was not compatible with the level cap remover, and also, it said it was not compatible with other mods. My hex editing work was based on some old Word documents in a zip file called "ArcanumProtoDocs.zip" by Otto Krupp, and a web page called "Proto files Arcanum" by Tekkus McDwarf.

I have two questions for anyone that can answer:

First, is any sort of modding compatible with the Unofficial Patch? I would dearly like to use the fruits of my old modding efforts - and/or make new ones - to use with the UAP, now that a level cap remover compatible with the UAP has appeared. I am not sure what about the UAP makes Drog say that it is not compatible with all other mods. Does anyone know?

Second, has any more info been made publicly available about the structure and values of proto files? The documents I used, helpful as they were, reflected an incomplete state of knowledge, especially about magic items. Otto Krupp's documents were from 2003, not sure when Tekkus McDwarf's were from (or where I got it). Has any sort of detailed guide to hex editing appeared since 2008 or so?

Thanks for any info. I plan to try to catch up on the threads here but there are a lot of them since last I spent time here.

Tirapelli likes this.
Our Host!