Is it worth to buy this game?

Discussion in 'Vampire Discussion' started by Arthgon, Oct 26, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Because it was mentioned in the site feedback, my curiosity was invoked once more. Now, before I actually buy this thing, I want to know if it is worth for your money. Why? That's because I've heard from different resources that the AI (allies and opponents likewise) and the combat is truly sucks. Not the mention the bugs that seems to mess up everything. Another question that crossed my mind, is how close it is to the canon of the PnP? Oh. How good is the plot?

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    My opinion is that it's a solid game. Feels rushed at the end, but certainly did a decent job at convincingly conveying the feeling of being a vampire. The setting also deserves mention, as very few RPG's play out on contemporary planet Earth. Go grab it.

3. Arthgon

Thanks. The best and trusted way to buy this game is at GOG, right? Even though, I am always been a bit wary to buy it digitally on GOG or similar kind of things (you can't bring it back if the game doesn't work), I think it is the only way. That's because I've not seen this game in the shops for a long time. Am I right? Me old-fashioned? If it comes to buying games and all. Yes.

Edit: The seven basic clans (Brujah, Toreador, Malkanian, Gangrel, Tremere, Venture) are all presented in this game? I am familiar with the PnP, but that has been years ago.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  5. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I got mine from GOG, works like a charm. I'll echo DE by saying it's a great game, one of my favourites.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

From what I can see, GOG offers Activision's 'Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption' from 2000, but not Troika's 'Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines' from 2004.

7. Jojobobo

It appears you're right, next time I'll think again before posting filthy filthy lies! I remember now I got mine from direct2drive before it became gamefly.

8. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Just pirate it and fuck around, see if you could give a shit about this old ass game.

Nobody cares if you download an ancient piece of software without giving your Jew gold to some fat cat publisher.

9. Arthgon

Sorry, but this sort of actions killed many games. Therefore, NO.

First, I am all against software piracy and such. Besides, what do you have against old games? Come on. They are just as good as the new games. Perhaps better. Most are even instant classics. Think; Ultimas, Wizardry, Bard's Tale, The Legacy of Ancient, Legend of Black Silver, Eye of the Beholder, Buck Rogers, Maniac Mansion, Zack McCracken, et al. You must be sure that I would rather play a game with a masterful plot and background than with only state-of-art graphics and bombastic music. I grew up with the c64.

What the...?

See. I knew that I was forgetting one. You can see that has been years ago.

So, if it is not in GOG, I have to use Gamefly? Is it just as safe as GOG?

Edit: Fixed Grammar and such. Mea Culpa. Less haste, Less speed.

10. Jojobobo

I never noticed a problem with it, so I'm going to say yes. I've downloaded Amnesia since it became Gamefly and not noticed anything dodgy.

11. Arthgon

Okay. I will see if I can get it. Thanks. One question crossed my mind at this moment; the manual and such are included with the game in this form, right?

12. Jojobobo

I had a quick look and I can't actually tell. The tutorial in game is very comprehensive though so I wouldn't worry. However I've just looked on the website and it says "This title is available for purchase in the Canada, Mexico, Ireland, and United Kingdom." so maybe you might not be able to purchase it from there anyway.

13. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Re:

And I thought for a while there you were talking about the good one...

14. Arthgon

Now, what would you reckon then? With the eye on safety and trustworthy of course.

15. Jojobobo

No idea with you being in Holland, have a look round yourself and see what you turn up.

16. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I just bought it on steam, for €4.99. It's a 75 % Halloween discount, normal price at €19.99. If safe and trustworthy are your requirements, this is probably the ultimate deal, so long as you don't mind the DRM.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/

17. Arthgon

Shit. Missed it. I've had some troubles with my internet. Fixed it. I shall try Steam. Thanks.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Steam is the best place to grab it. Also make sure you grab the latest patch as there tends to be three moments (that I've experienced) in the game that can/will break for you.

19. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Is that an official patch or a community patch? Steam takes care of patching for you. Also if you don't mind waiting, the game will go on sale again in not too long. Most likely for the holiday sale, around Christmas.

20. Jojobobo

The community patch is pretty good, found here. It now encorporates both a "basic" patch (just bug fixes) and a "plus" patch (aiming to restore lost content, but it's really now approaching a mod) which you can choose to install or not on top of the basic patch. I'd strongly recommend playing through a basic version of the game first as not all changes made by the patch are in my opinion better (some dialogue was cut for a reason, etc.) but the majority are. Other major differences in the plus patch are the inclusion of new areas to the game (as of the newest patch released on Halloween - making new areas has only recently become possible) which weren't included in the game because of time constraints (so they weren't actually cut from the game - they were never developed fully and aren't in the game files), new quests (mainly to reward the player with occult items cut from the game), more experience for quests and tweaking the clans to make them more akin to the PnP game. Unlike the UAP, it has no check boxes for what content you do want to install so it's an all or nothing approach I'm afraid.

Our Host!