Is it worth to buy this game?

Discussion in 'Vampire Discussion' started by Arthgon, Oct 26, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Community patch is the way to go, I always think we should host it if we don't already.

2. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I attend a Vampire: the Requiem LARP, and one of the players goes on and on and on about this game all the time. This particular guy reminds me a lot of you, Arthgon, and thus I think you would enjoy this game.

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

You actually go to LARPs? Are they anything like the one in Role Models?

4. Charonte

Charonte Member

You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't give Bloodlines and Redemption at least one playthrough each.

Redemption is showing its age in a few ways now but it's still definitely worth a look -- suffer through the first few quests and the game will get a lot better.

The best thing about Bloodlines is the atmosphere and the characters. And that you get to fuck a Vampire. And get a ghoulish sex-slave. Those should have been like the main selling points of the game in my opinion. Overall one of the better RPG's I can remember playing.

Get the Clan Quest Mod for Bloodlines (includes unofficial patch). The dialogue is incredible, some of the shit you can say to people (especially chicks in the clubs) still makes me drop on the floor laughing.

There are a few mods for Redemption that may be worthwhile as well.

5. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Re:

He is, regrettably, not the only forumer doing this.

6. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Re: Re:

Go on....

7. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

My brother used to go to D&D larps where the dungeon master used to smelt his own fantasy coins, pretty creepy seeing as he was in his late 30s and they were a group of teen boys.

8. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

So can you show examples of those games? Because I don't know any.
    Whole "piracy" thing was hyped by publishers and only publishers (and retired creators). If you look through news of "damn piracy" cases, most of them would be about publisher getting butthurt.
    In case of this game, buying it now is just giving gold to jews from Activision, because Troika is long gone and you can't kill already dead game.

9. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

How about Arcanum for one?

10. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

Piracy killed it? I thought it was only Sierra fault that they rushed Troika developers to the point that the game needed like 8 years to reach playable state. Even Sierra went bankrupt by this time and Troika has gone. GoG version is published by Activision which didn't invest a penny to Arcanum development. So if you buying from them you are supporting what?

11. Xz

If I recall correctly the scene had it online before the game was in stores. Bad sales ensued. Of course the bugs may have been part of it, but it sure as hell contributed that you could get the game for free before you could purchase it.

Activision may not have contributed to the development, but Troika signed the rights over to Sierra which did contribute. And now Sierra is bankrupt and Activision has purchased the rights to the game. So if you purchase it now, you're supporting the concept of private property.

If you don't support that concept, that makes you either a communist and a thief, or just a thief. Or rather a copyright violator, but that's beside the point.

12. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

So it's okay to pay to irrelevant people just because "private property"? I bet you are also don't watch movies which you didn't buy or see in theaters.
    What's with this "ad hominem" reasoning? Oh that is good ol' "copying is thieving" argument. If you look closely to both games they are well made and interesting (after a ton of patches, ofc) so the problem clearly isn't developer, but time constrains are surely a fault of publisher.
    By that logic HL2, which had the same release date as VtM, must be utterly destroyed by piracy, it even had leaked beta problem, and Valve should have collapsed. But they aren't, somehow.
    Why am I comparing shootan and rpg? Well, the difference between them, from consumer point of view, is that the former was a finished product and latter - screaming beta. Do you like to pay for unfinished product? Nor do I and every other consumer.
    TL:DR Troika was killed by shitty business decisions, piracy has a little contribution to this.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

14. Xz

Re:

Not only is it okay, it's wrong not to, because it's their property, and they won't give you permission to use it if you don't pay for it. So if you can't agree to their terms you shouldn't use their property. If I go and use your computer without your consent, that's not OK, even if you're not using it. Not because you built the thing, which you may or may not have done - that's irrelevant, but because it's yours.The only reason I see that possibly could justify pirating, is if the content you want is unavailable in your region, in a globalised world, that's just wrong. But then againg that too is the right of a property owner, to decide with whom he or she will and will not share.

There are other ways to legally watch a movie, like Netflix for instance. But no I don't watch illegally downloaded movies.

Yes, the publishers are to blame for a lot of the shortcomings. Without them and their funding however, there would be no game to have such faults in the first place.

If you don't want to pay for an unfinished product, then don't. But then you shouldn't use it either. If you do use it, you're implicitly saying that the product does in fact have some value. And by not paying for it you're effectively stealing that value from the owners. You either like the product or you don't. If you do like it, purchase it. Just because you don't think a product is finished doesn't make you entitled to use other peoples property on your own terms. So don't act like it does, that just makes you a whiny little bitch.

Sure Troika and Sierra may have made some shitty business decisions. But no matter how solid your business decisions are, it's hard to compete with free, especially when people, like yourself, have no sense of respect for other people's property.

15. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

Ad hominem again. "You're wrong because you are sooo wrong".
    You still didn't explain why I must pay to someone, who didn't invest a penny (or tried to invest as little as possible) to a digital product I want to use, but happened to have some ethereal "rights" to this product. Honestly, if they didn't bother with quality of their product back in release date, why do I have to bother with their jewish milking schemes now?
    Streaming site? Can you show a better example, please? Last time I checked torrents for my favorite chinese cartoon, I could easily find 1080p BD rips. Somehow it's both better quality and for free.
    I bet Netflix is also filled with ads to the brim.
    And what about very old films? You won't watch at all, 'cause g-d forbid you to break someone's private property?
    You give to publishers too much credit, honestly. We won't argue that changing publisher doesn't have the same impact on resulting game as changing developers, will we?
    The funny thing is that I surely wouldn't buy those games in release date, because I knew that they were bugged pieces of shit. The reason I somehow played Arcanum at all is that I stumbled on
    UAP page and thought "wow so much fixes, might give a try to it" and that worth it. As you can see Activision doesn't have anything to do with this, so I won't give those jews a gold for nothing.
    blah blah "you're communist bastard and you die communist death"
    You won't buy broken equipment if you can get fully functional for free, will you?

16. Xz

No you're wrong because the law says you are wrong. Doesn't matter if it's digital or not, they own the rights to it now. And whether they bothered with quality or not is irrelevant. Just like I can't push you off a bridge just because you pirate software, you can't pirate software just because it lacks in quality.

There's a lot of old content on Netflix, also no ads. Don't know about Chinese cartoons though, but I'm sure those could be acquired legally somehow too.

I never said it would, what I said was few developers could afford making a large game, like Arcanum without funding from a publisher. Part of the funding agreement is that the publisher gets the rights to the game. So no publisher no game. Sure it doesn't matter who's funding it, while it does make a difference who's developing it. But SOMEONE has to fund it.

Good, that's the way to make them release better games. Of course, I suspect you wouldn't buy them anyway since you'd prefer just stealing them.

Correct Activision doesn't have anything to do with that. However you're using something that belongs to them, so in a way they kind of do anyway. So what you're saying is that even with the bug fixes available the game is worth nothing, and therefore you're entitled to steal it.

Actually according to your logic I would since I've bought Arcanum at several occasions.

17. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

In accordance with local laws, as well as the fact that Arcanum was heavily negatively finanically impacted by torrenting, I provide you with this as your first and last warning: You may not discuss the concept of torrenting here, nor promote the theft of a product. I care nothing for your stance, nor your anti-Semitic remarks. If you cannot abide by this, fuck off immediately so I don't have to waste the clicks to ban you.

18. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

It's times like this when I think Like A Boss should be DF's personal theme.

19. lovelyme

lovelyme New Member

ahmm.. for me base of my observation about this game.. well
    it so good so it is a worth to by this game.. but..... ^_^

Our Host!