Mystic Robes

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Jojobobo, Oct 9, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I was wondering where do I find these? Are they sometimes in the wise women's inventories, or is there a character who has these equipped guaranteed? The reason why I'm asking is because I want to create a character who has 95 in AC and all resistances using only the Shield of Protection spell as a buff. To save on character points and enhance aptitude I've got to use the Dark Helm and Gloves of Dex, I needed an item that had more AC than the Arcane Robes but still some + all resistance, which is why I've settled on the mystic robes. I know blur sight ups AC by 60, but how I've planned my character I only have room for 16 spells and I can't waste 3 points in the Phantasm college. I ran a search beforehand and didn't turn anything up, and I did re-spawn a wise woman's inventory about 20 times with a character but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I don't think you can achieve 95% in all resistances. Best I managed had 85% in electrical resistance and 95% in others with Escaped Lunatic. Can't find the image or any thread about it.

Might be other tricks though, but I doubt you can max out AC as well.

3. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

4. Jojobobo

Bugger! Well thanks anyway Drog, I'll build the character and hope I luck out in a dungeon somewhere.

Oh you can! I'll go through how I'll rack up my resistances:

Damage: +30 from Velorien's blessing, +10 from the screaming shield, +45 from max aptitude shield of protection, then the dark helm, gloves of dex and enchanted war boots make up the rest.

Electrical and Fire: +40 from 2 arcane rings, +45 from max aptitude shield of protection, +35 from (hopefully) mystic robes.

Poison: I'm maxing constitution so this isn't a concern.

Magick: +30 from Velorien's blessing, +40 from 2 arcane rings, +35 from the robes.

AC: +13 from mystic robes, + 40 from screaming shield, +11 from 21 dexterity (I'm playing a troll offspring half-elf), +5 and +6 from the enchanted war boots and dark helm (I can't remember which way round these are), +20 from max aptitude shield of protection to give exactly 95!

So there you have it, though as you can see the mystic robes are the only piece of equipment that will allow me to max both AC and magick resistance. Overall I'm going to max ST, CN, DX, IN, melee, dodge and backstab; get WP to 18, and then get conveyance 5, temporal 5, mental 2, force 1 and necro white 3. This character should be unstoppable! I did waste the better part of my day coming up with this, my first thought was an escaped lunatic but with everything set at 8 there simply isn't enough points to make this possible.

I know, I need to get a life.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Nope. Mystic Robes, just like Arcane Robes, give you 0 (+3) AC.

Additionally, Mystic Robes tare inferior to Arcane Robes in all other aspects, giving 2 (+35) FR compared to the Arcane Robes' 2 (+50) and 0 (+35) to all other resistances compared to the Arcane Robes' 0 (+50).

Stat-wise, there's no reason to choose mystic over arcane. This applies to everything, no matter the user's MA or whether the item in question is a weapon or a piece of armor.

Yet, this can be done, even without using the Shield of Protection or any other spells.

[​IMG]
    • + Escaped Lunatic background
      + 100 MA
      + Velorien's Blessing
      + Arcane Robes
      + Screaming Shield
      + Sword of Defense
      + Arcane Helmet
      + Gloves of Dexterity
      + Enchanted War Boots
      + Arcane Ring

++++=

+ 95 in AC and all resistances
      + free necklace slot (suggestion: Finger of Mannox, Amulet of N'Tala or Amulet of K'an-el)
      + free ring slot (suggestion: Ring of Virility)
      + 5 speed (from the Boots)
      + 2 Dexterity (from the Gloves)
    EDIT: Forgot to mention the blessing in the list. Fixed.

6. Jojobobo

Damn you gamebanshee for lying to me! Gamebanshee has it listed as 13AC, otherwise yes I'd pick the arcane robes everytime. Well I guess it's back to the drawing board for this character, I'll see if I can find a work around that'll give me more AC. Actually thinking about it I'm sure a set of arcane robes and a ring of protection/poison restistance will achieve the same affect - I don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place. I would just go with the escaped lunatic background but as I said I can't see a way to max all I want and get 100 MA (even if maxing constitution is a unnecessary and excessive).

Also the number 178 is a little unusual for total defense maxing everything.

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The way Total Defense is being calculated never made any sense to me whatsoever. The only thing it's good for is for making followers choose inferior equipment.

8. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

178? That's 13 points higher than my best total defense.

9. Jojobobo

I just gave working out the total defense formula a go and nothing works; I tried simultaneous equations, and also just weighting each of what factors into total defense with what seemed appropriate and I couldn't make all of my characters' total defense values fit conclusively. It seems as a good rule of the thumb that if you average your resistances and multiply by 1.2, and then multiply your AC by 0.7 and add the results that often gets pretty close but is still out by a little bit. I think either the formula is some unusual binomial equation or the weightings for each factor of total defense are pretty random, whatever the case I can't be bothered to waste anymore time trying to figure it out!

10. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Someone on Gamebanshee said it was just an average of every aspect of your defenses, i.e. AC plus all resistances divided by 6. In this case, it should be 95. It's 178, so that doesn't work. Worse yet, the person who posted after they did said "yeah - thanks Gawain.

At first that math didn't seem to fit, but I ended up finding a ring that gave only resistances and by using that to test, I figured that out also. "

Unless the actual values of those stats can be higher than the displayed cap, I don't see how 178 could actually be an average of those six numbers.

11. Jojobobo

No that isn't right, they're clearly just retarded! I tried checking through several new characters; some who just had damage resistance, some who had just poison resistance, some who had just AC and some who had a combination of these and other resistances thrown in. I've also checked and it seems like negative AC adjustment (i.e. below 10 DX) doesn't have any effect on overall defense as I thought it might, neither does negative resistances (e.g. the frankenstein monster background). I still can't figure out the weightings so I do think it's a more complex formula than just 0.5DR + 0.6AC +...etc. I guess it's just one of life's mysteries!

EDIT: I say these things and yet by spending a little more time on the subject I find a better fit. Multiply AC and DR by 0.425; FR, MR and PR by 0.3; and ER by 0.12 and then add the results together - this seems to get within a couple of points of "total defense" for the characters I tried it on. With rounding it hits the max "total defense" dead on where everything is 95.

Our Host!