Please Help. Arcanum Installation FAIL

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by 4eburashka, Mar 2, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. 4eburashka

4eburashka New Member

I have a problem. I got the original Arcanum on 2 CDs, but i cannot launch the game. When I go to install Arcanum the first CD works fine, then asks for changeover and when the bar reaches the end I get an error message:

Error 1305. Error reading from file:
    D:\Sierra\Arcanum\arcanum2.dat Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

I looked around the net for solutions but could not find a definitive answer to this issue. Most deal with a downloaded version of the game and once it actually starts. My game does not even install.

I found a post on this forum, which mentions a manual unpack of the CD contents, hinting to a comprehensive description earlier in the forums, but that is years and years back and i cant find it.
    http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/view ... hp?t=13953

Can someone please help??? I only played the game once years ago and never even finished it. Now I cant even get it to start.

2. 4eburashka

4eburashka New Member

I think the file arcanum2.dat is corrupted somehow. I have managed to install the game by copying all the files from both cds to one folder and using 'JFileRecovery' to move arcanum2.dat in place. But it does not patch the file and copies it with holes, which only enables me to run the game and see the first 2 opening screens Sierra and Troika...then jumps out to desktop...so frustrating

can someone just upload their clean arcanum2.dat file so i can download it...

I really cant think of any other way to fix it...

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

What operating system are you running? Also, have you tried cleaning the cd?

4. 4eburashka

4eburashka New Member

I tried cleaning it didn't really help much. I had the same problem maybe six months back and i posted in various forums and never got a solution so gave it up, but now i really wanna figure this out without having to download the whole thing over again. Had a look around online just for that file alone but its not available unless you download the full game.

Win XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Well, firstly, you need to update XP. Massively. Secondly, while I am happy to provide troubleshooting information, and help people get the game running, I'm reluctant to upload files, out of a concern of it being considered illegal filesharing... and the fact I don't know that Vorak would approve, and we all want Vorak's approval.

6. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Try copying the files from both CDs manually - just to see if the computer can read them. Like into directories cd1 and cd2. If it works, look up my manual install howto.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I think this is a genuine case of man the fuck up.

8. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Just double click them and you should see their contents. If that doesn't work, try installing total commander - that should open the files.

Also, if you can copy the CD contents to the hdd, you may just run the installer from there. Maybe try a different CD drive if the first one fails.

9. 4eburashka

4eburashka New Member

its all good now got the cd cleaner and scratch filler and then ran the files manually from hd to install...thanks for your help

Our Host!