Racism

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Anonymous, Nov 4, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here's a part of my earlier research on the game. I figured this might be interesting to some people.

The following table shows how NPCs of different races react to a specific PC race. The info was taken right from the code.
    [​IMG]

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Seems that halflings are very amicable fellows.

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Well according to the table you don't like them.

4. Roller

Roller New Member

Ohh, Elfs hate Orcs the most. How predictable.. not. I have yet to see an orc enemy. Dwarves hating Dark Elfs.. arent they living together in Forgotten Realms. I guess Leonard Boyarsky's favorite book was LotR.

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    Actually, drow and dwarves hate each other quite passionately in D&D. This goes for both regular Shield Dwarves and the Duergar of the Underdark.

6. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

What in the name of fuck does Forgotten Realms have to do with Arcanum? And it says right on the back of the case that Arcanum is a tolkien-esque game with a steampunk twist.

7. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Hmm. Fuck as a deity?!
    *ponders*
    What would you give as a tithe?
    And what about communion?

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    This new religion should be polytheistic and services should include holy communion to the deities Fuck, Intercourse, Hump, Scrump, Bang, Bag, Bugger, Fornicate, Copulate, Coitus and Mate.

9. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

What about Shag, Bone, and Screw?

Anyway, communion should always be oral sex, with religious rituals on high holy days including tantric sex. With the highest of holy days being Valentine's day since it's basically an excuse to fuck anyways - Guy: "Here's chocolate and flowers, let's fuck." Girl: "Sure let me just go slip into your present..." (change sex as needed for your relationship)

As for tithes, the gods of the Pantheon of Fuck would include such things as a contraceptive bonfire, screaming the deity's name during sex, or (as with most if not all deities) cash, etc.

10. Roller

Roller New Member

Dark Elf
    I guess neighborhood is not equal to good relationship.

uhh, dark elves maybe? Evil elves in LotR.. blasphemy!

11. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Forgotten Realms dark elves are a seperate race from their surface cousins whereas Arcanum dark elves are the same race, they just differ philosophically.
    In essence, FR has jack shit to do with Arcanum.

12. Roller

Roller New Member

Archmage Orintil
    But so do orcs. According to the above table these philosophical differences make them evil. Which cant possibly have anything to do with LotR. There are no evil elves, as we know them, in human history too. The current fantasy elves were invented by Tolkien AFAIK. The only source of evil elves i know is FR.

P.S. FR elves and dark elves are same thing too, the dark ones were cursed though. Because they differed philosophically...

13. Archmage Orintil

So do orcs.....what? In Arcanum Orcs are human variants. I'm not sure what this has to do with me claiming that dark elves from FR have nothing in common with dark elves from Arcanum. :/
    Every elf I've ever met has been very evil, even the gold haired vixons. They steal my wallet after I cash my check and ass rape me until I orgasm prematurely. Whether they're a true elf or not I'll never know. I won't report the multiple incidents to the police due to embarassment. But I hope...I really do.
    Anyway, what does human history have to do with the Forgotten Realms OR Arcanum??? Both are fantasy worlds that, obviously, take aspects from real peoples creativity. That's called fiction. Fiction is wonderful in that it can steal everything from real life, but real life can't demand anything in return. It's a lot like child support really.
    ? How much of FR history do you actually know? Not DnD (which is similar, but historically vastly different), but FR. FR dark elves were a seperate race from the beginning, even before the Descent.
    Go Google "Karsus the Mad" and "Lord Karsus"
    Those two, due to having absolutely no life, know FR history better than Ed Greenwood.
    In fact, all you actually have to do is read any FR sourcebook that includes the word "Drow". Damn I'm drunk thinking I needed to defend my statement of obvious FR geekdom knowledge. I'm still trying to figure out whatever you said has to do with Arcanum....
    I'm confoozled, even with myself now....damn you....

14. Roller

Roller New Member

Archmage Orintil
    Fictional literature throughout human history.

Correct, what does ingame race origin has to do with creature design origin. This is a pretty insignificant parameter. I could make a game where Orcs are mutated Elves. This doesnt mean yet i introduced orcs and elves into the genre or wasnt influenced by other creations. Human variants, dog variants, separate race. Doesnt matter. The key points are: colorful, big, ugly, strong and evil. And these are just about the same everywhere. The key points of dark elves are: evil and elves. Which were introduced by FR. Unless you know any other source.

My level of geekness isnt that advanced. Hat off. I know what DnD knows. Though to be picky, history is written by people, fictional history even more so. At the end the most popular version wins. That is - mine. :D A wild guess, looking at the advance of computer games.

15. Archmage Orintil

? I'm too drunk to coherently understand just what your point is. I pointed out that FR dark elves have nothing in common with Arcanum dark elves. They really don't. One is a cursed race that was a seperate race before being cursed due to a single nation and the other is the exact same race as the rest of elvendom that simply has different philosophical views about technology and thinks Arronax was correct in his political views. How exactly are they even remotely similar? And more to the point, how is this even remotely on topic?
    Drow weren't introduced by FR, but they were made famous by FR, via Drizzt. Drow first showed up in the first monster manual I believe. EG's oringial DE's were more similar to DL's DE's if I recall. Don't take my word for it tho' as I'm not an expert or nutcase library of DnD.
    Anyway, if ever you're in Oulu, I'll buy you a drink.

16. Roller

Roller New Member

Archmage Orintil
    They dont have to be similar, just their design concept. What you call a different philosophical view ultimately is what makes a race evil or good, and a simple look at the above table shows it. Kill or let live, purely philosophical question. Now Tolkien didnt had the idea to create elves which were distinctively different from each other, aside from living habits. FR did, and populate that idea successfully. Which again we can see in Arcanum. Where are the Dark Humans, Dark Gnomes and Dark Dwarves. None.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There's no dark elves race in Arcanum. It's a race only from a technical point of view, only in the engine. There's only one pure elven race in the lore.

18. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

What's with all the Gnome love from the Half Ogres?

19. Archmage Orintil

Conspiratorial breeding program.

20. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I just thought it was because everyone loves their favorite snack food.

Our Host!