Role-Playing Forum - Terms, Rules and Guidelines

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by DarkUnderlord, Feb 17, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quethim

Quethim New Member

No I knew you were refering to me. In the RPG forum I actually read threw everything. The thing is I just do not want other people controling MY character. Please do not make other peoples characters do stuff.

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Q.'s got a point there, Retard. As someone new to role-play, you may not realise but one of the cardinal ... guidelines ... is that you should try to avoid putting people on the spot.

Don't pull the strings of their puppets. They might want it to dance to a different tune.

Anyway, I meant to say before that I am very impressed witht he quality of your posts. Writing doesn't really come naturally to me, and role-playing doesn't seem to come naturally to anyone. Your posts don't look like those of a rookie to me, so reckon you must be doing something right.

Quethim, I don't think you suck at all this stuff. I don't think it is possible to suck at it, as such. Maybe you just need to adjust your style a little to fit in with the prevailing one here.

If I can make a suggestion, why don't you try playing a low profile character for a while? Keep him following along with the gang, not making any radically different or dramatic moves. I'm not saying don't do you own thing, but I think maybe if your character did lower impact actions, it would give you a chance to experiment with your posting style without having major effects on the thread.

I suppose what I am suggesting, is that you hold back your vivid imagination for a bit. Our characters are a little less imaginative and radical, perhaps than suits your flamboyance.

BTW, I deliberately made this post a bit long and used load of big words to test your claim about reading RPG forum threads to the end. If you get to the end of this one, it'll be an achievement :grin:

3. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Only word I did not really understand was flamboyance but I can kind of tell what it means. And yes I read your post all the way through.

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Hmmmm....

12) Don't interfere in other people's posts?

Actually, isn't that what Quethim did? I mean, making Jar be in the inn and saying he hired him? Anyway, I think some 'leverage' is required. Making other people do certain things in your post... It can sometimes be the only way to add to the story... But I thought that's what retard was doing (making a role for Quethim) but wasn't too certain about it myself seeing as Quethim was in the bar at the time and he didn't report to his superior officer.... Ummmm... Anyway, Quethim killed himself and is playing a new character now... Or something.... Umm... Yeah....

5. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Yeah I am being a new character since the orc was not going to well. And I really thought Jar was in the inn thats why I went there. But dont worry I made it be a different character that I followed(my new character)

6. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Hey quethim, I really do apologize. I was wrong in doing what I did to your character. I'll watch that in the future. Fatman, thank you.

7. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Nah its ok retard.

And do you guys think I am doing a lot better?

8. DarkUnderlord

Yeah.. Quethims waling off in his own wonderland there..

* DarkUnderlord sings *
    Walking in a Quethim wonderland....

9. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Honestly, Q., I would prefer it if you made your character more obviously part of the main plot. It seems as though you've begun a different thread within Jar's thread.

Sorry to give you a hard time, but I also still think your posts need to be longer and less dramatic. Most stories (which what we're trying to create, in a way) aren't completely filled with action. For a story to make sense, there have to be pieces of background about the character. Just turning up, pulling some bladed device and killing someone doesn't mean anything on its own - it's just generic violence.

Drama doesn't have much impact if it is constant. There needs to spaces in between for contrast. It's like with loud noises. They only time they make you jump is if they're preceded by a quiet period.

10. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

It's good to see this thread working out some of the issues that are arising in Jar's thread as they arise.
    Here is my 2 cents on the issues.
    1. About controling other peoples characters- I don't have a problem with someone else roleplaying my character to a very limited extent. With all the different time zones at play in this thread some some npc'ing of other's PCs is necessary to move the storey along. My thought is to make sure to leave the other player an out. Make sure they can undo what you did or if they like the changes they can go with them.
    2. I think if the tread creator wants to have contol of the thread then they need to say so from the start. This gives people the option of knowing what kind of RPing they are in for. Also the creator needs to let people know if they are creating a specific plot of if this is just free form.
    Well those are my thoughts on the matter

11. DarkUnderlord

Basically, the reason for these is to encourage people to join in the Forum (mainly to make up for certain people abandoning it because they should be working on their Arcanum mods and modding tutorial but they just post in the General Forum instead... I hate those people :smile: ). Anyway I removed quite a bit (the stuff about playing multiple characters for example, mainly because if someone wants to.... They will, there's really no need for a rule for it so to speak).

If this is okay everyone, can you bug Oyarsa to post them up as a sticky? Also, while you're at it.... Someone try and get the delete post function to work in these forums. There are times when you want to completely remove a post but the option isn't available for some reason.

I'm pretty happy with this... I think it'll encourage people (lurkers) to join (I know you're out there, reading, watching, waiting....). The kind of "n00b5" who perhaps would've been a little skeptical at first. I'm a *little* unhappy with the intro paragraph and the "How to play" part. But if someone with more experience can write better ones then feel free to do so (Oyarsa?)

Anyway.... I must get back to updating a certain tutorial....

Oh, ThreeDogs, would you prefer it if the credit list at the bottom was put up in reverse alphabetical order instead?? :smile: (I think I got everyone in there who's ideas and sentences I blatantly copied...)

------------------------

Terra-Arcanum: Role-Playing Forum - Terms, Rules and Guidelines

Ahhh... Welcome friend! So, you have stumbled across the role-playing forum have you? You may well be asking what exactly is this forum for? Well my friend, this forum is for those of us who wish to become someone else for a while. To get away from it all and play a character in a fantasy land. To play out our dreams, fantasies and sometimes even our nightmares! So, if you're looking for an adventure and you're axe is a litle rusty or you'd like to dabble your hands in the art of wielding magic... Then make yourself at home! Join in one of the stories (threads) on this forum and take part in the experience! Of course, if you are new to the role-playing forum, you might wish to take the time to read the following terms, rules and guidelines. Laid out here for your benefit!

----------------------
    How To Play
    ----------------------
    You may well be wondering, how exactly does one participate in the role-playing forum? Well, there are no dice rolls and there is no need to take written note of such things as strength, dexterity, constitution or any other details in the role-playing forum. So, you may well be wondering, what do you do then? Well, you merely use words to add to the story. Simply think up a character and jump in one of the stories (threads) that are here. If you still aren't sure, feel free to peruse some of the older threads and see how the story played out. Then, join in one of the new threads by getting a feel for the way the story has developed and then simply try to make a character that can make an interesting contribution to the story!

----------------------
    Definition of Terms
    ----------------------

Thread - The overall topic/conversation/story. That is the whole shebang, all posts included.

Post - An indiviual reply made by one person to a thread. Good threads are made up of lots of these. Threads where people get flamed also have lots of these as well....

[OOC]
    Enter your message here
    [/OOC]

- Out of character. This is used to tell other role-players things that you want to get across. Things such as 'I'm going away for a few days, so I won't be able to post for a while' or 'Hey a***hole, edit your previous post. You killed me you prick, I wasn't meant to die until later you dips**t' or even 'I think we've spent too long in the inn, so I'm moving my character outside. I hope some of you follow. I'd really like to role-play in another part of town.' or perhaps 'Just a question, how are we supposed to kill this monster that we're supposed to be fighting?' or anything else that you might want to ask or tell the other role-players in the thread.

PM - Private Message. Can also be reffered to as 'Elecktronic Messaging Service' or 'Telegram' if you prefer a more game oriented term. This is a method of 'posting' people private messages. See the forum FAQ on how to use it. It is useful if you want to ask someone a direct question and you don't want to post an 'ooc' message in any particular thread. Especially useful for notifying the moderators when you want a thread or post removed for some reason (Better give them the reason as well, otherwise they may not co-operate).

--------------------------------------------------
    Rules and Guidelines for the Role-Playing Forum.
    --------------------------------------------------

1) Who's in Charge?
    ----------------
    Ultimately, no-one is in charge around here except Oyarsa, the Role Playing Forum Moderator. If the person who initially starts a thread wants control over the direction of the story, then ultimately, they will need to say so right from the beginning. This can be useful in some cases where a person might want control over the direction of the story for a particular reason. In most cases though, no-one "owns" the story. A story will ebb and flow as the players see fit. Often times, if someone "steps out of line" you'll hear about it from one of the players. In which case, someone might need to edit their post or change the direction of the story with another post.

2) Sane, Sensible Posts.
    ---------------------
    There is nothing worse than dumb posts. NOTHING. Ultimately, don't post senseless, ill-fitting crap in the thread. If your playing a dim-witted character, make sure he does dim-witted things. A stupid Ogre isn't likely to solve a complex murder mystery with any kind of sudden revelation. If you want to do that, why did you decide to play a dumb Ogre in the first place? Remember, you are ROLE PLAYING. If you're a clumsy, bumbling idiot, stealthily sneaking up behind a Master Thief isn't going to happen. Also, if you're the Captain of the City Guards, make sure you act like it. Don't go running off doing things that a Captain of the City Guards wouldn't do.

In essence, make sure your posts follow some kind of logical steps. Don't just run around after the Bad Guy, that gets boring very quickly. Instead, perhaps investigate the murder/accident scene? Try playing detective. It's highly unlikely that a character would be able to see a dead body and then suddenly determine that the person he's after must be staying at such and such hotel. Instead, make your character look for clues. Maybe you find a matchbook or an engraved ring dropped accidentally by the person you're after? Posts like that make for a much more interesting story.

Also, game mechanics based stuff about your character gets in the way of role-play and people should infer such things as alignment and other abilities from you actions, not a sign on your hat. Part of the enjoyment about roleplaying is finding out about other characters abilities. Try to be detailed, but don't be TOO detailed. This isn't some essay writing contest. But if you're posts are getting long, please use paragraphs.

3) All Powerful Characters.
    ------------------------
    Okay, we ALL want to be the Master of Firearms and the Master Melee and the Master Dodge character. But how much fun is it going to be if everyone in the thread is some kind of super hero? Not much at all I'm afraid. Instead, give your character(s) weaknesses. Don't go and make him/her/it THE ultimate thief. Sometimes, Master can be excessive and Expert will do just fine. Of course, All Mighty and Powerful characters are fine, as long as they are mainly used as plot devices. So there's likely to be at LEAST one all-powerful character in the thread. That's usually the Big Bad Guy that everyone else has to kill. However, there's no need to go and join the thread as Joe Bloggs, Thy Ultimate Uber Character. Instead, just play plain old Joe, perhaps an old retired city guard? All Powerful Characters that just happen to have Thy Ultimate Weapon handily at their side, get boring very quickly as well. In some cases, it may even get you banned from the forum :smile:

4) Dealing with Death.
    -------------------
    It happens to the best of us. Most times, it'll really annoy you. But get used to it. At some point in time, there's going to be a fight and your hapless character is going to be caught right in the middle of it. Often times, for the story to continue, someone has to die. After all, whoever heard of an epic battle where no-one was killed? So, what happens when you die? Well, first of all, don't get all antsy and start flaming people. That'll just get you banned from the Forum :smile: Instead, perhaps you could rejoin the story as a NEW character? Or someone might be helpful enough to resurrect your OLD character. Whatever happens though, don't get too annoyed.

If you plan on killing someone else's character, first off, don't make it happen in a single post. It's not all that fair. Secondly, if it comes down to it, before you actually go about killing someone's character, it might be best to try and talk to them privately using a Private Message or an "OOC" post, to see if they really mind or not. If they don't mind, then perhaps the two of you could work out the 'death scene' together and make for a really good addition to the story.

Remember, for the most part, you aren't playing AGAINST people, you are playing WITH people, essentially creating a story.

5) The GOLDEN RULE.
    ----------------
    The most important rule to keep in mind when in this forum is simple... There are no rules! Sometimes, it's necessary to bend or break the rules. Seriously. If the rules get in the way of the story, then bend em, or outright break them, for the good of the story. I'm not saying that people should just go hog wild or anything, but if it benefits the plot, go for it. Most often it boils down to whatever is necessary to have fun! These guidelines are just here to give you some kind of an idea as to what to expect in this funny place (It's also to encourage more people to feel confidant enough to join in on the fun and post replies)! If you feel that you might make a mistake, don't worry about it. If you do, someone will be kind enough to point it out to you and tell you what you can do to fix it if need be. Ultimately, at the end of the day, this forum will only last as long as the people using it are enjoying themselves. That is what this forum exists for after all...

Compiled by: (In Alphabetical Order)
    - DarkUnderlord
    - Jarinor
    - Just A Geek
    - Oyarsa (Anything you'd like to add?)
    - Sheriff Fatman
    - ThreeDogs

12. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

just so you know, DU, the "delete this post" option is only available for a half hour after you post... and i think you did a very nice job...

13. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

hehe , i was reading the forum for about a month before i bothered to sign up . Someone should start a new RPG thread , not because Jar's one sucks , its pretty good , but most pplse dont bother reading all 9 pages of it .
    Don't ask me why i didnt make a new one , all of my threads seem to die out in a few hours .

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Well, Slaggirl, most people want to join a thread when it's new, they can get established, and follow the story from the beginning.

15. DarkUnderlord

Ahhh..... 1/2 an hour? Okay. So err.... Oyarsa, wanna post them there rules up as a sticky then?

16. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

'af a mo, Gov, 'af a mo

Give me a chance to review them. I'm going home early from work due to an as yet undefeateable sinus headache.

Thanks for the work on this, all of you who contributed. Such commitment from a community bodes well for its existence.

17. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

err.. its s-l-a-g-g-e-r .. repeat slowly after me ...

*sigh* , some people ...

18. DarkUnderlord

19. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

*grunts* :grr:

what happened to FLr , did he get banned ?

20. Notharah

Notharah New Member

no gravedigging but I just thought it would be handy if this topic would be on the top, because it has some nice tips for people who don't understand the idea of roleplaying enough yet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!