Suggestions

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by wobbler, Feb 19, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Since we are in constant development I thought I should make a thread for suggestions, questions about the site WIP and such. Mostly because I wanna vent. Anyway, great site, looks amazing but those silly little questions like grey/brown cogs and so forth.

Anyway,
    Can we have cogs instead of avatarportraits on threads in the forum? :)

Jojobobo and Xz like this.
  2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I've noticed that the grey cogs just at the side of the different subforums don't seem to update too (as in, there are new posts the cog isn't grey). Is there anyway to change that back to the way it was?

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I think, Jojo, that the real issue is that NEW posts are labelled as the orange color, and no-new-posts is the grey color.

Which is the opposite of how it used to be.

EDIT: A word

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  4. Jojobobo

You might be right there, seems like it would be an easy fix.

5. Jojobobo

Seems like the search function doesn't work for me, maybe something to look into when other bits and pieces have fallen into place.

6. Jojobobo

Further, and because triple posts make everything better, the "Rules" tab leads to what amounts to fucking anarchy. You only have yourselves to blame.

on1ondevelopment likes this.
  7. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

Perhaps that's why we regularly encounter advertising bots?

8. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Bots are known for following the rules, it's true.

Jojobobo likes this.
  9. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

IIRC there should be a thread here somewhere where the rules were forged (mostly by Xiao_Caity), but I can't find it. So far I linked whatever is linked in the lower right corner of the page.

10. Jojobobo

I think those rules got taken down because people didn't like the ridiculous manner in which they were written. Regardless I think several things that were rules (necroing threads, double posting, etc.) don't seem as relevant anymore, especially if the site is looking to encourage new members.

11. wobbler

In what way would new members be drawn in with necroin and or doubleposting?

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

The rules the fine. The way they were written, not fine.

13. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

NOW HOW OR WHY COULD YOU HAVE ANY POSSIBLE PROBLEM WITH THE PERSON WHO WROTE THOSE RULES ZANZA

The_Bob likes this.
  14. The_Bob

Because it seems that's exactly what new members come to do on most forums.

I remember they were a little... Passive aggressive. It's just that the only alternative I see to using the old rules is to one-up them.
    Or we might decide not to have rules. Just scold people at random and expect to maintain order that way.

15. wobbler

This forum was a lot more aggressive than the rules. Also, if new member only wanna revive dead and useless threads they don't need to come.

And double posts shouldn't even need to be a rule, when you can achieve the same thing with just editing your own post.

ANd while on the note, there are few threads in need of "bumping".

16. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

This isn't really true. A new post will notify users that there is new information, but an edit will go unnoticed by those who have already seen the original post.

17. The_Bob

A strict no-double-posting rule is no longer needed, but a no-pointless-double-posting rule might help remove clutter from threads, and cut back on people bumping their unpopular threads.

Then again I don't want people to try and explain what they think the point of their actions was, so I'll make that a no-stupid-double-posting rule. Or a no-stupid-anything rule. So now we can proceed to call people stupid whenever we don't like their behavior. Also, because arguing whenever someone calls you stupid makes you look even more stupid, this should serve all of our future moderation needs.

18. Jojobobo

In terms of thread necro-ing, I'm sure there were examples of people reviving old discussions or help threads with pertinent information that they occasionally meant they got scolded. Seems a bit unfair on good intentioned new members who came here to talk about Arcanum, though granted if they're douchely necro-ing general discussion threads it's a problem.

In terms of double-posting, as Xz said edits go unnoticed. I think The_Bob has the right of it in that a general no stupid posts rule is good enough, as it's a suitable catch-all for when people are knowingly being dicks and the mods have the power to enforce it without much explanation.

19. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I always thought that edits caused a notice, but it appears I was wrong.
    Necro-ing a thread with pertinent information, makes more sense to me than starting a new thread and should the only reason to do so.
    I do think there should be a Rules/Read First thread stickied. Even if its a simply "Don't be a dumb-ass!".
    I was actually amused by the snark of the old Rules, though I can understand how the tone may have put some people off.
    I also miss the 'who's who' and history threads. It was fun reading about some of the old-guard and history of the forum.
    And it's always a good thing to know whom to fear (ie, list of admins, admin hierarchy, what they are primarily responsible for, how to contact them, types/amount of bribery expected, rituals for summoning, etc.)

20. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

You are correct in the sense that there will be a notice at the bottom of the edited post, but the post will not be marked as new. At least it wasn't in phpBB, and I assume it won't be in XenForo either.

I'm inclined to agree. Making a new thread seems rather pointless. Especially since XenForo brings you directly to the first unread post when opening a thread, so you won't end up reading a whole thread before realising you read it two years ago.*

* Pretty sure it doesn't work that way with threads you haven't read since we installed XenForo. However it still makes sense to keep the discussion about a particular topic contained in one thread, rather than spreading the information all over and making it hard to find.

Our Host!