The Great Arcanum Scavenger Hunt!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Oct 14, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. symban

symban New Member

[​IMG]

here one from me, though a pretty easy one, just dont use search engines otherwise it will be a direct find.

I checked my obsessive background character who gathers every single item in the game in the warehouse, and I noticed I have %95 of the items mentioned above, though I have seriously have no idea where I got them.

Another one to find is;

2nd The Machined Gauntlets (first in BMC). I am not talking about Vendigrotian one btw. Good Luck!

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I continue my short tradition of opening a post with a barrel of ammonia. One such barrel is in a guard house several meters SE of the Panarii Temple in Caladon.

Comment of previous targets I suggested:

• A hexed staff that weights 1000 stone (actually, up to 2000 in the hands of a tech character)
    As Jojobobo found, it is indeed Grack's Burdensome Staff and as Drog recalled, it is indeed located in the Dernholm Pits.

It's lying on the floor in a dark cell, so it's easier to miss it than not. Chances are you only find the staff if (a) you know what you're looking for or (b) you have a follower who will pick (and become substantially slowed down for some reason).
    • Three copies of the Power Axe:
    Jojobobo already mentioned two (Black Mountain Clan & Roseborough blacksmith).

Since there are problems with locating the third I had in mind at the moment, I'm offering a hint: it is wielded by a dwarf in a platemail.

Both the second bottle of Poison and the third Machined Hammer are in locked chests in the guard chambers in Caladon's high security prison.

While we're at it, there is also a third bottle of poison in a fancy chest at Razors Pointe.

Don't know where the fourth Machined Hammer could be. A hint, by any chance?

Indeed. The revolvers Maxwell and McPherson have are the same as the ones that can be bought in gun shops. Doc Roberts', on the other hand, is unique - it has the same base stats plus a +3 TH bonus.

Shocking Dagger. Held by the general store clerk in Ashbury.

Righteous Staff. Held by the magick shop clerk in Caladon.

By the way, Witch's Dagger was my first thought as well.

Well damn, that's a good target. I think I recall stumbling upon those at one point or another, but it could have very well been several playthroughs ago.

Hint?

They are sold by Ellumyn in Qintarra.

The item is in the game files, but I've never stumbled upon it in an unmoded playthrough (or at least I wasn't aware if I did - considering the fact that it uses the graphic of a normal bottle of wine it would be rather easy to accidentally ignore it). Is it actually in the game?

Malloy's Peacemaker, held by Caleb Malloy in the Boil.

A rather strange weapon. Unique enough to have a custom name, but not unique enough to give it even a single stat boost compared to a standard quality hammer on which it is based.

I actually recall three pairs myself. One, as you mentioned, is in the BMC, one is worn by the Ashbury blacksmith and one is worn by Lianna Pel Dar in Dernholm.

New targets:
    • Balanced Sword. Found rather than forged by the Living One or Magnus. Two copies.
    • Poisoned Plate Mail
    • Diseased Chain Mail
    • This:
      [​IMG]
      "...so stoned."

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Props to you Muro, that was very difficult to find! After checking all the royal guards in the Wheel Clan, I really had to rack my brain to think of obscure places where I'd seen dwarf guards. It's on the dwarf outside the king's chamber in Caladon palace.

Someone's wielding it.

It's quite tricky to give an effective hint without giving the game away! How's this: it's in a location that you're probably more likely to visit if you're evil than good.

I haven't found any yet, but I've only had a rather hasty look around. I'll get back to you on this one.

At first I thought this was the Consuming Platemail, which with all my level 50 characters I'd already got and sold, so I had to buy a scroll of invisibility with my current character and head to Gorgoth Pass; all just to find out I was wrong! Then I remembered there was magic platemail on the shipwreck south of Caladon, if only I'd thought of that first.

I have possessed this before, and I have a strong suspicion it's in a chest somewhere as opposed to on a corpse. As before I'll get back to you on it.

That is a quest item given to you by Renzo in the Thieves’ Cave.

• Here’s some more:
    • A quality mace that isn’t shop bought or found randomly in a chest (I’m hoping this is surprisingly rare but there is a good chance it may not be).
    • Nerve pills found on the floor.
    • This book:

[​IMG]
    Also as a tip for would-be scavenger hunters out there who find yourself in Philes position of not having progressed very far in the game, buy yourself some teleportation and invisibility scrolls (murdering shopkeepers for the funds if you must) then either travel through Gorgoth Pass or talk to Gildor in Stillwater and get the position of the Ruby Glade to teleport to it (or just go through Hardin's Pass). Use this or this to find more locations, and get in the game! Granted you won't have access to everywhere, but you will be able to get to significantly more locations.

Update: Still can't find the swords or chainmail, anyone else have ideas?

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Found the fourth Machined Hammer. It is wielded by one of the dwarf guards who's locked up with Erland Iron Heart and the rest of the dwarves at the Stonecutter Clan.

Tricky hint. Checked everything that came to mind for now, to no avail. Perhaps I'll have some more ideas later. Either that or I'll give up on this one.

I recall two off the top of my head. One is wielded by Leach Meanface, one of young Ryan Sanders' half-ogre bodyguards, while the other is wielded by Tor Bighand, one of old Jonathan Sanders' half-ogre bodyguards.

Storage room in the Roseborough Inn.

A bookstand in Trevor Lynwood's room in the Roseborough Inn.

New targets:
    • High Velocity Pistol. Found rather than created from a schematic by the Living One. Two copies.

Unfinished quests from the previous page:

5. Jojobobo

Well then, apparently there are five! The other one is on Vegard Moltenflow.

Okay I'll try to make things a bit simpler, there are in my mind four motivations for an evil character visiting a location:
    1) Finding an item
    2) Solving a quest
    3) Pointless destruction
    4) ...

Solve 4 and you have your answer, also 4 can be a motivation for a good character to visit a location too.

They are more common than I thought! The one I was thinking of was on the half-ogre in the Stillwater bar.

One's on one of the guards for the Donn Throgg quest outside the factory, the other... erm... is it on one of the people who kills Virgil? If not I'll have a better look. I'll wait til some of the other targets have been solved before posting up more.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Five is quite a lot considering the fact, that typically only the one in a chest in the Stonecutter Clan is remembered. Finding a second was already a challenge.

4) Recruiting a follower

An evil character is more likely to recruit an evil follower than a good one.

Torian Kel is an evil follower. He's chillin' at the Ancient Temple, but to recruit him, one would have to travel to the Dungeon of the Dragon Pool, where he would find these strange salves/potions lying on the floor close to the Axe of Lost Time, surrounded by some bones.

Again, this was a good target.

Correct.

No, none of them wields a High Velocity Pistol.

7. Jojobobo

Well, I do try! Also I'm glad my hint wasn't too vague as to make finding the item impossible but it didn't make things too easy either.

It's not on one of the firearms mastery gang members is it? I have no easy way of checking this without sinking a good few hours into the game so I just wanted to rule it out before searching in more detail.

• Another target:
    • 3 found (not forged) copies of the envenomed sword. I only found two of them a few days ago so I'm hoping they're not common knowledge, one should be quite well known.

8. de Vere

de Vere New Member

Dunno if this counts, but I found one on the smith in Stillwater on my last playthrough. Could be random, could be it's always there, not sure :p I prefer the basic Balanced Swords anyways!

9. Jojobobo

Yeah sorry, I forgot to mention to exclude those, so I mean three excluding the ones from the Stillwater blacksmith.

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Nope.

Well, one (and probably the one you're calling quite well known) is wielded by Grunwalde in Blackroot.

Don't recall the two remaining at the moment. Checked some aggressive bar patrons and such fellows which I remembered poisoning me during a fight but in all such cases so far strong poison has proven to be the one behind those memories.

Yeah, it's unbelievable how much slower and weaker a sword can get after you pour some poison on it. Always found it illogical.

The blacksmith only has one during the first transaction with the Living One. He doesn't sell any more of those once his stock resets.

11. Jojobobo

Hmmm, is it on Vollinger when he tries to kill you? Again this isn't something I can check because I'm hated with my only high level evil save in Dernholm, I know he is carrying a fancy pistol to start off with but I didn't know if he got a new inventory for when he stabs you in the back. Apart from that I'm stumped - you've ruled out the Willenbecker Gang and Virgil's killers, the poachers in my last save are all dead but I'm sure I would have remembered if they carried one, it's not on Maxim, Weldo Rubin, the tech guy outside of Tulla, or any of the shopkeepers I've checked, and most guards who use guns use shotguns; I can't think of any suitable locations or more users of guns where I could find it. Any hints? Also any hints for the others? I have searched where I could think to find them and I'm drawing a blank, though at least it is causing me to find more items (like the envenomed swords) as I'm looking which I can add to the hunt!

EDIT: Another quick thought - the diseased chainmail isn't on the dead dark elf at the Dark Elf Camp is it? He's not there on any of my saves to check. I also checked the whole of the Isle of Despair and the Void for the items but had no luck.

Yes the one on Grunwalde was the well known one I was thinking of, and I did do a quick sweep of the bar fighters to try and make sure none of them had an extra one that I needed to list before adding the swords as a target so hopefully they shouldn't have another! The last two are in locations/on people which I would have never bothered to check til this thread.

I didn't know this, but as we're all agreed on how crappy the sword is I probably haven't purchased it from him for a couple of years.

• I'll add another three:
    • A pyrotechnic bow (found not forged)
    • 3 reaper's axes - not bought and not found randomly in a chest
    • Two keys with the word "Black" in their description

12. Constipation

Constipation New Member

Asking about it in this thread was certainly a good way to find out. I guess the answer is no. No brandy for Geoffrey then.

Guess I'll continue believing it was intentionally left out of the game to accentuate just how hipster his taste is.

13. Jojobobo

You've let as all down Constipation, for shame! I guess you are right though, this is a good way of finding out if an item is real or not.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nope. It's in a chest along with some other magick-related toys.

One of the balanced swords is wielded by a human in a nice suit.

The second one is in a locked chest in a chamber with lots of shields, swords and platemails around.

Gonna have to think on this one.

Naph'Tha, the Mistress of Fire in Tulla.

Always found the fact that she's wielding it intriguing. The way I see it, her disdain towards technology has proven to be weaker than her curiosity about a non-magick tool that harnesses fire.

Stringy Pete's undead pirate crew.

• Key to Dockworker's Barracks, Black Root
    • Key to Drog Black Tooth's Cage
    The is proof to the contrary, though.

Firstly, as already said, the finished item can be found in the game files.

Secondly, if the player asks a displeased Geoffrey why he's in such a bad mood while - thanks to a bit of modding - having the brandy in his inventory, there will be an option to give it to him. If chosen, it will result in Geoffrey accepting the gift while expressing content and his reaction going up.

Troika wouldn't write those dialogue lines, include the item check and record the verbal response if the plan would be to not put the brandy in the game.

My guess is that the authors had problems deciding which store should be selling the brandy and ended up forgetting to add it to the stock of any of them.

New targets (hope you love them as much as I do):
    • The fourth Power Axe + a Small Elite Plate Mail (found rather than created from a schematic).
      Hint: These items are equipped by a high-rank military officer.
    • The fifth Power Axe
      Hint: It is in the inventory of an translucent being.

15. Jojobobo

Bugger me - I really wasn't expecting that to be correct!

Your hints are as inscrutable as always, I will have a proper look for these items come morning! I'll let you know if I need any more hints.

I should have known experienced players who'd already tried to assassinate Stringy Pete would get this in a heartbeat, still I thought it was worth a try!

• Four more (maybe my last) targets:
    • A shovel; excluding Bingham's Shovel, the shovel found in Dernholm, or a shovel bought at a general store
    • An amulet that allows mind control of a creature
    • A found trap springer
    • This ring (and no it isn't a magick ring despite having the same functionality - you could call it the Malloy's Peacemaker of magick rings):

[​IMG]
    When I say maybe my last I mean I only want to post items that can't be resolved by a quick search (ruling most shopkeeper items and magickal items out of the picture) but if I find anything that I don't think can be solved in such a way I will still post it up! As always, anyone with an unusual contribution you feel that no one else will find should post it up. I will say don't be afraid to gravedig for this thread ethier, so long as it will lead to an interesting hunt I'm (reasonably) sure no one will mind!

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

They can be also bought from junk dealers, but I'm guessing those don't count as well.

In that case, there is a shovel in a guard house just SW of the Panarii Temple in Caladon.

Just to be clear, we're not talking about the unique Magick Ring from the Uncharted Cave?

I have yet to make a proper search for the rest of the targets. I find the amulet especially intriguing.

17. Jojobobo

Yep that was the one I was thinking of. Never knew it existed til a week ago.

No we're not, sorry for not specifying.

I haven't got round to looking for yours yet either, I'll have a good look for them this weekend. As a slight hint, for some of the items a broadening of your search may be required; not to suggest you don't have good searching skills but I went out of my way to find items in awkward places/on awkward people.

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Daniel Hallaway, the innkeeper of Drop Yer Anchor in Black Root, has one in his inventory.

Ristezze wears a Charming Medallion which gives its owner the ability to cast Charm from the mental college.

Would that be, by any chance, the type of mind control you had in mind?

19. Jojobobo

Nope that's not what I had in mind, but I never knew that so thanks for sharing. The amulet gives direct control over a creature, as in they have there own icon with all your summons or followers, and for another hint it's a specific creature.

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Well then, what you have in mind is either of the two Dorian Amulets worn by the two Dark Champions guarding a guy with a blue robe and an afro in the Void, with the Spirit Snake being the creature in question.

Not sure if I would have guessed it if not for your use the word "specific" there. Was too focused on finding an amulet with Dominate Will/Succour Beast charges.

Our Host!