The Great Arcanum Scavenger Hunt!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Oct 14, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Indeed, the First Blade himself.

Humorously enough, I easily found and remembered the chest in the temple in Tarant containing small and medium Pilgrim's Robes in my first game, but found a second set of medium ones in Shrouded Hills just recently.

I find the Shrouded Hills set harder to stumble upon because its container is right behind a lantern which causes the said container to often not highlight when one moves his cursor over it, making the player think it's just scenery.

Isn't that exactly the point why there are no Pilgrim's Robes in Caladon, though? Why make a pilgrimage to Caladon if you're already there?

There is no mithril in Vendigroth. The false memory is probably caused by the fact that Vendigrothian Sheel Metal uses the same graphic as Mithril Ore.

The Mithril Ore I have in mind can be found in an inhabited area.

It's a snake-like creature found in one of the many inaccessible areas in K'na Tha.

More targets:
    • Black Adder Empress (creature)
    • Ensanguine Soul (creature)
    • A Water Elemental (other than those summoned and actively maintained with the 5th spell of the Water College)
    • A wielded Axe of Strength

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Mithril Ore: In the general store in Blackroot, in one of the barrels behind the counter.

Yay! One point.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Indeed, one point to ytzkindor.

Is it, by any chance, the staff wielded by the Elf Wizard faced during the Meta mastery test in Tulla?

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I guess I think of it as "Oh I've just finished my pilgrimage to Caladon, I can take these tatty robes off now!"; but yeah it probably makes more sense for the lesser temples to have a stock of robes so people can start their pilgrimages.

Yes, yes it is. Congratulations on finding that one, if hints were going to be needed for any more items then I thought that would be one of them because it's so situational. I guess at the same time though Tulla is the first place you'd look for a wizard so it might not be as tricky as I thought!

I'll go on another hunt in a couple of days time, I'll be pretty busy for the next few days.

5. Jojobobo

So after a very long hiatus, I thought I'd give finding some of the targets a try once again. I'm double posting because otherwise the thread wouldn't update and it wouldn't be obvious that I'd responded again.

After searching in vain for the diseased chainmail as I usually do when looking for targets again, I got to thinking who other than barbarians wear barbarian clothes? The answer is of course orcs; right now I can't understand why I hadn't bothered to ask myself this before because it seems like a very obvious line of inquiry after searching barbarians. The only place where you can find orcs outside of random encounters are when you are assaulted by thieves in Tarant, the few that live in the Boil and finally the orcs that occupy the factory with Donn Throgg - which is where I finally found the axe.

• I've also got a new target:
    • 3 pure ores (is the plural of ore ores? I guess it should be 3 pure ore) - not those found after resolving the Bessie Toone Mine quest and obviously not ones that are crafted or store bought.
    If I find any more targets or any thing else good I want to add as a target as always I'll update my post.

6. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

The three lumps of pure ore are in the barrels of the shopkeep in Blackroot, with the rogue mithril.

Btw, there's another rogue mithril is in the dresser in the back room of the junk dealer in Derholm.

Booyah, two points.

7. Jojobobo

I didn't know about these lumps of pure ore so good spot! The ones I was referring to are still out there.

Also...

The mithril ore has been covered, it's still not well known about though so again a good find!

I don't know about a water elemental, but a whole bunch of them can be found in the fire college mastery quest - is this what you meant?

8. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Could you be referring to the stash of pure ore in the bandits lair in the sealed area of the sewers of Tarant?

Booyah?

9. Deman

Deman Member

Going somewhat off topic but;

If you want to smack someone with Torian Kel's ancestral sword or Kryggird's Falchion outside the Void (in the vanilla game) what do you do?

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Is that a question or a riddle, Deman?

Quite honestly, I'm pretty sure the correct target was the last NPC having the Elf Wizard class in Arcanum I checked.

Not that there are too many of those. That's the thing, in fact. Since shopkeepers have Shopkeeper classes, mages in Tulla have student or master classes and this was specifically an Elf rather than a Dark Elf, options were far more limited that I would expect if not having to think about it too much.

After checking all the ones that qualified except for the correct one, I had to think a few moments before remembering there was a mage in one of the mastery tests in Tulla.

Indeed, that's what I meant. Since giving a small army of Water Elementals as a target could be too much of a giveaway, I decided to pick the first one and call it a target, conveniently avoiding to mention the rest.

Congratulations on finding that one and the axe.

11. Deman

Deman Member

I guess since I know the answer it's the latter :D.

To broaden the playground a little, would it be okay to make this scavenger hunt a hunt for anything (e.g. creatures, quests, reputations) rather than just items?

12. Jojobobo

You are correct, booyah indeed!

I don't mind what people search for, as long as the targets aren't really obvious. Most quests and reputations will be known about by now but if you feel like you know about an obscure one then go for it.

Just to confirm about your riddle, you're not using any sort hack are you? Such as Virgil's debug menu or an inventory hack?

13. Deman

Deman Member

Great, I was thinking of completing stuff like quests in a manner which you aren't supposed to.

And no I'm not using any hacks but I'll give a hint which most likely will be a dead giveaway;

All that matters is who you bring along

Two more "hunts"

1. How do you successfully finish both Lukas' quest and Owens' concerning the thieves? If you can tell me how you persuade Lukas and his lackeys to leave afterward you'll earn a gold star.

2. How do you become cherished as the hero and despised as the outlaw of Shrouded Hills at the same time?

14. Jojobobo

Hmmm some good targets Deman, I'll have a think about them.

• Here are two more of my own:
    • Like Muro's rustic finery, two fine suits with a white sprites, I won't say which size to keep things a bit more tricky
    • A staff (normal, not magickal in anyway) wielded by a halfling

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Well, you passively slaughter countless innocent lives back in Arcanum with Kryggird's Falchion if you end the game with the Bane of Kree wielding that godlike sword. Awesome ending by the way, definitely the most satisfyingly evil one. That one wouldn't explain smacking someone with Torian Kel's Ancestral Sword outside of the Void, though.

Gonna have to do some checking before answering any other questions.

On a side note, I'm happy to see this thread active again. I was planning to revive it in a month or so myself, but it's good to know I'm not the only one who cares.

16. Jojobobo

I was always cared, I was just busy towards the end of last term and I wanted to come back to some of the targets I was stuck on with a fresh mind so that's why I took a fair while starting it back up. I think I'll always have an interest in Arcanum regardless of what other games I play.

• Here's another Six:
    • A character with only a dagger of speed and a potion of heal lesser wounds in their inventory
    • Two large gears in one container/on one person
    • A rustic dress with the sprite of an elegant dress
    • A gnome carrying a regular staff
    • A person carrying corrosive acid
    • A quality iron shield found on the floor, I will mention it's hard to spot
    UPDATE: I found another nice suit with a white sprite, I've edited my previous post to account for this. Also...

It's on the half ogre villager in The Thirsty Soul in Stillwater. I had no idea there even was large rustic finery, quite an interesting find. I made sure that this wasn't the aptitude neutral +10 MR item in case you'd trickly listed one item as two targets, hoping that once found no one would bother investigating its properties - but obviously my suspicions proved false!

UPDATE 2: Found another, on the gentleman wandering around on the west side of the bridge in Caladon.

It's in the Museum of Caladon in a barrel. I stumbled on this completely by accident.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the right light.

One small white nice site is worn by a gnome noble cruising around King's Way and Temple Road in Caladon.

It's in the inventory of Albert Leek in Caladon. Odd. I would have sworn I checked him when I was searching for the trap springer last month. The only reason I looked at his inventory today was to see if he's wearing a white nice suit.

It appears you are correct. That's not the one I had in mind, though.

Actually, Arcanum does have brown suit sprites for the large races. Jonathan Sanders' bodyguards use them, for example, though they aren't really wearing anything at all. As for standard brown large rustic finery, it is indeed a rare piece of clothing. It can be found in the stock of the Black Root tailor every now and then, in case one would be interested in obtaining such an item.

I did no such thing, though I like the idea.

18. Jojobobo

This is indeed one of the ones I was thinking of, I guess there is a possibility that there are more than the two white sprite nice suits but I haven't come across any others yet.

I noticed those half ogres, and I thought I'd edited out what I said before you posted. Just thought I'd mention it seeing as it's now missing from my post!

I'll two more targets and then leave it for a little while til more have been found:

• Charmed Chainmail, found in a container who's stash isn't randomly generated
    • Two more vials of poison; excluding the three previously found at Razors Pointe, Adam Maxwell's house and Caladon's high security prison
    UPDATE:

Top left room of the Roseborough Inn.

One is on an Innkeeper at the Roseborough Inn. The other is equiped by Daemon Gardi, the Master of Phantasm.

Finally worked out this is in fact Priest Robes. I'm not sure where to find all the copies but one is found on Dante, another on a halfling in the magickical smith in Tarant and another in the Panarii Temple in Tarant. I think it took me so long because I was looking for something a bit more extraordinary than Priest Robes!

19. Deman

Deman Member

I'm going to flesh out the hint I gave away two days ago somewhat;

There are, to my knowledge, five (possibly six) individuals who qualify for the task ahead. Two of those are not unique and can be found in multiple locations.

It's still vague but it could be enough to reach a conclusion. If not, then I'll spit out two more hints later on.

Also, I'm pretty frustrated that I can only make up hunts myself but not partake in any of those that are available. With only one playthrough under my belt, I simply lack the experience. Although I'm pretty confident that I uncovered much loot, I wouldn't remember were.

I do have two targets concerning items however;

1. If you play your cards right, you should be able to collect three magic crystal balls in Madame Toussade's house. How?

2. Name how you can get at least two examples of the item “Debt of Bessie Toone mine” from Stanton . Acquiring unlimited is again gold star material.

For the record, all the targets I put on here can be completed in the vanilla game.

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

To be clear, Deman, what is the game version on which you base your targets, official and unofficial patch-wise?

I can see you also added a mention about a second white rustic finery to your previous post. That's the one I had in mind, yes.

It's in one of the locked wooden chests in the Dernholm castle.

Yep.

Ah yes, I forgot one of the master mages had such a ring, good show. One of the Roseborough inkeepers was indeed one of the NPCs I had in mind, the second one is yet to be found.

Other ones I remember is one on Geoffrey, one on Alexander and four in a chest in the Panarii temple in Caladon.

I have to admit, I very much liked the trickiness of this quest. What made you eventually check the Priest Robes, I'm curious?

Our Host!