unlocking cantrip or lock picks

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by legolas, Apr 4, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. legolas

legolas New Member

what should i get unlocking cantrip or lock picks? i know that lock picks are much quieter, so i dont know wich i should do.

also were in tarant could i get some lock picks?

2. Orlon KA-Lor

Orlon KA-Lor New Member

Are you magic or tech?

If you are magic then use the unlocking cantrip. when you reach 100 magic ap the unlocking cantrip is almost foolproof. That the reason its loud, it always works.

If you are tech then get the lockpics and then the auto skelton key. It takes 5 cps in lockpick and at least expert to equal the unlocking cantrip. if you need to be quiet, this is the only way to go. your dex has to be 18 for you to get the last point in lockpick. Keep that in mind cause youll need to spend those points too.

I know you can get them at the black market but you have to be a member of the the thieves underground. The only other place was in random chest in the world.

3. legolas

legolas New Member

im like 75 in magic. but what if i gave lock picks to virgil? he has some points in that skill

4. Xombie

Xombie New Member

Then definitely get Unlocking Cantrip. Virgil's lockpicking is almost useless past Shrouded Hills.
    Best of all, a failed cast doesn't jam the lock.

5. Piter

Piter New Member

6. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Yes.

Lockpicks - there are some in the Wolf Caves (between Dernholm and Black Root), and you can get a set from the merchant at the very beginning of the game (right after character creation).

7. legolas

legolas New Member

ok i got em both . i tried to use lockpicks but just jammed the lock , and unlocking cantrip is amazing . so i gave the lockpicks to virgil

8. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

If you want to followe thieves' path then you'll have to develop locksmith skill - you'll be to easy to get caught using Unlocking Cantrip. If you just want to get some containers opened use axe, or shoot them.

9. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

if you are going to be a mage DON'T put points into lockpicking, it'll lower your apititude. cantrip is the way to go, and it bring you closer to that cool-spell-for-lazy-people Teleport. besides, you don't even have to put any points into lockpick then, the effectiveness increases with aptitude.

remember, if you want to be a STRONG mage, don't put waste points, and don't touch tech skills.

and IMHO, the best lock opener is Disintergrate :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tzehoong on 2002-04-05 04:39 ]</font>

10. dig314

dig314 New Member

Cantrip / LockPicks

Does Cantrip unlock doors or just chests ?
    I am trying Cantrip with my Mage on the Steel Vault door in first Sewers in Tarant. No luck. My Mage is low level - like level 10. Is that the problem ?

11. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Dynamite is the way through that door. Cantrip works on any lock, BUT the formula is lock difuculty / magical aptitude. Low level mages open low level locks. The ballanced PC had better use lockpicks.

12. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

Unlocking Cantrip will work on both doors and chests.
    The cantrip will also open Magically Sealed chests and doors, where the lockpicks wont.

If you plan to do some stealing, then use the lockpicks. The cantrip is TOO noisy and you'll get caught and in trouble.

Tssk, tssk.... you used to be such a nice girl ...
    The way to open that door is FROM THE INSIDE.
    Go to the house of Mr. Walloughsby in Tarant, enter the bedroom, go down the trap door, have some fun with the guardians, and then PEACEFULLY open the door from the inside.
    What happened to your signature?

13. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

There are some lockpicks in a chest near Poone's flophouse. Also, magically sealed locks (even the ones on the doors in Tulla) can be opened with disperse magic. If you stand far away enough from people they won't here the cantrip.

14. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Evil Assasin has it right. The niose from Unlocking Cantrip comes from the caster, not the object. Your placement is everything.

I'm still nice, Menkhur, at least when I am not playing evil. :wink: I didn't know anything had happened to my signature.

I have entered that room from both directions and I never knew it was a one way lock. :oops:

Our Host!