RPG Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NobleKnight, Dec 14, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

It COULD be. If that's all you know, then it may be possible for you to still be surprised how this is so. I actually found out something about the end game before I played it, but it didn't actually impact on how I played the game. I played it through twice actually, and it was just as good the second time around. The ending (if you get to experience it in all it's glory) is absolutely fantastic.

2. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Since we're talking about Torment, anybody know where I can get a copy that will ship to Europe? I checked eBay last week and it was a nogo. I'm sure it'll show up there eventually, but if you know of any other options, it'd be great. I'd buy it the normal way, but it's out of print and underdogs doesn't have it yet.

3. Canis

Canis New Member

I see, you're at the age when you think people's opinions are sacred artifacts to be admired without further explanation. (By the way, I don't see how that was sarcasm. Care to elaborate or were you just stating your Blessed Holy Opinion again.) What you actually said was,

Now, I'm not going to guess at what's going on in your prepubescent brain, but in normal circles this sort of statement begs further discussion. The fact that you chose not to elaborate, and the fact that nearly every single one of your post here lately are one-liners, leads me to believe that you are spamming your way to a higher post count. In case you were wondering, no, replying to threads over and over with, "Nice gravedig," does not qualify as a particularly interesting statement of opinion.

Stating your opinion is fine. But don't leave it at that. Elaborate. Embrace the "discussion" part of "General Discussion Forum".

(Somebody's going to stick me with a Midol avatar one of these days, aren't they.)

4. Wolf

Wolf New Member

What's the point of a long post if you can say the same thing in one line?

5. Icairus

Icairus New Member

If you hadn't said first-person mode, I would have believed you were talking about Neverwinter or Temple of Elemental Evil.

6. Settler

Settler Member

Labyrinthian, Amazon stocks Planescape, and I assume they would a ship it to Europe...

7. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Thanks. But Amazon won't ship to post Commie Europe until April, unfortunately. I could go get a POBox in Germany, I guess.

8. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Wow, look at this Canis, on the Bloodmoon box it says RPG of the year. I would have though that wouldmake it an RPG but you MUST know more than someone who rates games for a living.

9. Canis

Canis New Member

Wolf, you, I, and everyone else here should know that just because a box or advertisement says something, doesn't make it so. Grow a brain and a pair of nards.

10. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Canis, I'd rather trust that boxthan you. I doubt any game that wasn't pirated would falsely advertise on their box.

11. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Wolf, I like and support you, yet I am torn, I'm unsure that if I ever meet you whether I'll shake your hand or just attack you with a heavy blunt object.

12. Canis

Canis New Member

Wolf, you are a shining example of why crap sells. If the box says New And Improved, then it must be. If the box says RPG, then it must be. They wouldn't say that if it were really a first-person shooter with a backstory and some kind of leveling scheme, would they? No, that would be a disservice to the genre! We should just believe what The Box says and leave all independent thought out of it. You still haven't told me why YOU think Morrowind is a roleplaying game. Do you have reasons beyond what it says on the box?

Richard, I'm leaning heavily towards the blunt object option, but it might just be my time of the month.

13. Wolf

Wolf New Member

You create your own customised character, learn spells and many skills. Mybe you should give me a list of criteria for an RPG. It IS an RPG, it won an award for being an RPG. \Do you honestly think they would just stick that on a cover?

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yes, yes I do. It's called Advertising, otherwise known as the "Sucker Fish" Syndrome.

If Joe Bloggs' Monthly Fishing Trawlers Club gave the award, it probably doesn't mean as much as if a 20 year old computer magazine gives it.

15. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Deus Ex has been called an RPG many times. Advertisments are going to tell you what they think you want to here, not what is true.

16. DrFraud

DrFraud New Member

Actually, I kinda sorta thought a first-person shooter had to involve, oh, actual shooting. Where Morrowind's concerned, I'd call it an action-RPG or a hack-'n'-slash RPG. And there's nothing inherently wrong with hack-'n'-slash if that's the sort of thing you like, IMO.

Me, I like a little of everything. Sometimes I like hack-'n'-slash. Sometimes I like an RPG with a fairly linear (but hopefully strong) storyline. Sometimes I like something a little more open-ended.

(By the by, my all-time favorite RPG is and has pretty nearly always been Fallout. Here's hoping KOTOR has a bloody good try at dethroning it.)

17. Tholtan DarkOne

Tholtan DarkOne New Member

I am with Wolf. If Diablo2 is rpg, why couldn't Morrowind be?
    That's the reasons why it is rpg. Not so rpgish rpg, but still it is. DrFraud classified it in the best way.

18. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

So I saw KOTOR in the shop today. Should I have bought it? Got TOEE instead.

19. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Diablo 2 was NOT a role playing game. When i think of diablo 2 i think of games like centipede and galaga, you're just there to kill thousands and thousands of bad guys. Diablo is just much more evolved. If there had been dialogue in centipede it would have been an rpg. I mean come on, the advertisements showed a dude with a bow and arrow right?

Morrowind is an rpg, it might be a sorry excuse for one by some accounts, but its still more of an rpg than iablo or Diablo 2.

20. Canis

Canis New Member

There are in fact bows and crossbows in Morrowind. I consider the Jedi Knight games FPSs, even though once I get a lightsaber I do little actual shooting. I don't consider Morrowind an RPG because the NPCs are cardboard copies of each other with no personality, the story is poorly presented, none of your dialogue choices or actions mean anything, and usually after level ten or so all characters start looking alike. Have you been to the Bethesda boards? Read the infantile threads by the powergamers? It's the sort of thing you always see for a shooter, not an RPG. Not that the sophistication of a board's patrons is a definite indicator of anything, but it's usually a pretty good clue.

I never said there's anything wrong with hank-n-slash, I just said Morrowind lacks some of the essential elements for an RPG. Like dialogue choices that make a damn difference. Hell, the choices you make in Jedi Knight have more impact on the game than the choices you make in Morrowind. And you learn spells too, isn't that snazzy.

Our Host!