here we go

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by jorrit, Dec 19, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jorrit

jorrit New Member

(yes, I have used the search option some)

what is the effect when a weapon gets damaged?
    does it hit less hard or something?

how do I get Virgil to do some lockpicking?

how do I attack barrels etc...it seems that only my followers can do it?

will killing the wise lady at SH give mucho problems later on in the game?

when I leave SH I'm about lvl 5, but when I travell to Delhorn (or something) I encounter a BIG group of rats and get slaughtered. What can I do about that so I can proceed (getting killed kinda gets ya stuck)?

does killing chickens etc have any negative inpact on your char, or is it a good way for some additional exp?

I hope I havent annoyed or pissed off too many people with these questions... :/

thanks in advance for any helpful answers
    (btw, does anyone know a link to an online manual?)

2. PekkaM

PekkaM New Member

Nothing. It just gets completely broken eventually and you cannot fix it anymore (unless master)
    don't know, I modified my Virgil scheme not to learn it anymore (and no heal either)
    Press R to combat mode, hold alt and click on it
    No. You can identify at Tarant or Ashbury
    Kill them ;) Save and reload and hope not to encounter them anymore. Learn harm spell. Many ways.
    I don't think you get lots of exp. Do you get any exp for humans like barbarians in Kree? I don't think I got any...

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    No any such things that I'm aware of.

I believe you'll have to hold Alt while attacking. This will cause your followers to attack too (so remember to remove their weapons should you attack a metal door or something)

Don't think so. Try if you wish.

I managed to get through such problems through saving/reloading, but that can get tedious. I advice that you go to Tarant before Dernholm - quests aplenty, and the monsters you encounter on the way there are generally weaker.

:lol:

Unless people attack you, it could be an idea. I can't imagine that it would give you much xp though.

I hope they made a reputation for this.

Hey, no problem.

Too bad I couldn't help you out with Virgil though. I don't even know for myself... :/

Don't know about any online manuals, but there's one for download here:

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/station/downloads.shtml

4. trobs

trobs New Member

The Cheaters' Guild: FAQ for Arcanum recommends (in SH):
    "While you`re around there, kill some chickens. They give you good exp. points."

I assume the idea is that at the very beginning of the game when you are first at SH, it's worth the points to kill them. I plan to try this in my next game, but at night so nobody will see me do it.

5. jorrit

jorrit New Member

yes, the chickens indeed give some very nice exp!

but I also found that the people dont like it when you slaughter them. strangly enough, after killing one guard who seemed to have a problem with it, I wasnt 'hunted'by the rest of the town...

btw, thanks for the replies
    does someone could tell me how I can lockpick myself? I cant find a button or anything to activate that skill mode.

6. DrFraud

DrFraud New Member

Go into your inventory and drag your lockpicks onto the hand ("use") icon. You should be automatically returned to the main window, but with a different-looking mouse pointer. Click it on the object you're trying to unlock.

7. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Yes, do that. And if Virgil is better than you are at lockpick, he'll do it for you. Even if you have no lockpick, if you use the lockpicks and have Virgil around, he'll offer to handle it if your skillis lower.

8. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Holy shit, is this what newbies have to do when they ask questions? I think messages like this prove that we should be more leniant, at least in H&T.

9. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

If you put a set of lock picks in a slot on your "belt" where you can use them by just clicking on them, it is easier to use them. Also, Virgil will insist on picking the lock for you if his skill is higher than yours, but he's generally lousy at it. That's why I, and others, have altered his leveling scheme to remove that skill from him. It's better to learn to pick locks yourself if you are going to be doing it, and always autosave before trying it so that you can restore and try again if you jam the blasted lock. :)

10. jorrit

jorrit New Member

which button is for the autosave?

how many turns does it take for dynamite to go of in turnbased combat?
    it seemed 8+ atleast (then i died...)

11. Solaris

Solaris New Member

F7

Not sure, never used it in turn based. I use it in real time, set off from as far away as I can.

12. jorrit

jorrit New Member

is it actually possible to place it on creatures like rats and such?
    I tried it and I did lose 1 dynamite, but maybe it just got lost.

13. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Try setting it on inanimate objects close to the creatures, and waiting for a minute or so.

14. jorrit

jorrit New Member

if you lockpick and succeed, will the people around you/shopkeeper get pissed?

are there any late-game problems I might encounter when I slaughter the most of SH when you first get there for equip, cash and exp?

15. Solaris

Solaris New Member

If he is awake- damn right he will. Burglary must be done at night, with maximum caution.
    Guards also get pissed when you lock pick a door or a chest when they are around. Ordinary people don't seem to object though.

1)You get a reputation of "butcher of Shrouded Hills"- which will make people in other cities dislike you. If you run into anyone whose reaction to you is especially low, there is a chance that they will attack you on sight.
    2)Shrouded Hills has a Wise Woman, who can identify things and sells some good magic stuff once in a while. There's only four of them in a game, so I usually treat them with respect.
    3)Are you sure you CAN slaughter Shrouded Hills being low level? There's level 30 Doc Roberts there, he might give you some serious trouble.

16. Goldenboy

Goldenboy New Member

I know you can get a Butcher of Stillwater, but can you get them for any town. I'll have to try this.

P.S Yeh, wait until your at least within 5 levels of Doc Roberts, hard as he's a deadly shot with a revolver.

17. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Doc Roberts is good with his revolver, but if you take it away, he's not scary at all.

18. Solaris

Solaris New Member

His revolver doesn't appear in his inventory when you try to pick pocket him...
    Hmm, need to try casting Disarm on Doc Roberts.

19. jorrit

jorrit New Member

what does np or nt or something (cant remember excactly anymore) mean that stands on my armor description i get from a Ruffian.
    has it aslo something to do with some weird effects I now have when Virgil casts spells on me (like something breaks). maybe spellfailure or something?

20. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

That or just take his bullets away so he can't shoot you.

Our Host!