RPG Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NobleKnight, Dec 14, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DrakeMaliketh

DrakeMaliketh New Member

What is Roleplaying

For me, what makes an RPG is
    1. create your own character - a flexible system capable of makeing diverse characters
    2. freedom to play your character however you would like, thus catering and gearing quests so that multiple solutions are possible depending on possible characters. This should also include the ability to bad/good
    3. your actions have an affect on the world around you, you can make a name for yourself
    4. realistic world - i don't mean that it can't be fantasy, but that it should seem like a living breathing world.
    5. extra things to do - options to do all kinds of stuff in the world other than quests, such as gambling, having sex, drinking in a bar, allow the character to do tasks that are seemingly pointless to the game but add to being your character.

That's all i can think of right now, I'm sure I'll think of more.

P.S. I thought i'd steer this topic back out of the fire. I love how people can't just let something offensive go and have to get all worked up about, just let it go, or else the post will suffer, if the comments are ignored then it won't turn into a massive hate fest where everyone is guilty and no one is right!

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

According to those definitions, Morrowind is one hell of an rpg. Of course you left out engaging dialogue and increasingly difficult enemies...

BTW, your actions do have an affect on the world around you, you can make the plague and dust storms end.

3. DrakeMaliketh

DrakeMaliketh New Member

That's actually what i was thinking about putting.
    -well written engaging dialogue
    -realistic NPCS- the npc sleep and awaken, work and play

I personally don't like Morrowind, i thought it was really boring, the world just seemed so sterile, and if memory serves me right NPC's just stand in the same place, or walk the same path day and night without change. I thought Gothic had some cool Npcs, I also liked how you had to be trained by other people in gothic, I mean you don't just walk out into a field kill a few creatures then inherently gain the ability to be the greatest dialogue expert or the greatest lockpicker etc. But that's supposed to be an abstract concept.

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Plague yes, dust storms no. As for impact on the game world, you don't really. A few token efforts (getting your own stronghold for example) are made, but actual meaningful impact is not there.

Now, back to MrWolf...

Being as smart as you are, you also realise that sometimes people compliment others when they don't really mean it. Normally comes from relatives and people who have to be nice all the time.

You keep on insisting you're smart. A truly smart person would have shut the fuck up by now, and realised that they, maybe they're not all they cracked themselves up to be. To cut off a future comment, I'm talking about you MrWolf, not myself or anyone else who has been against you.

P.S. You should get one of your many teachers, friends, family members or peers to help you with your comprehension skills. Oh, and someone to beat some sense into you.

5. DrakeMaliketh

DrakeMaliketh New Member

Sigh...

What does Wolf's intelligence have to do with what makes an RPG. Besides intelligence is very abstract and not really capable of being measured IQ tests, give me a break! Just let it go, who cares! Now then back on topic. I agree about scalable enemies, which i think Fallout and Gothic do pretty well, since at the end of both games if you're not careful you can still end up dead (you may have power armor but so do the Enclave). But if you think about it, playing a role is not a focus on combat unless you are a soldier or warrior, but what if you're a diplomat or trader. I think it's important to also include many non-combat options if someone wants to be a pacifist, let 'em. I beat Fallout 2 before without a single kill on my character sheet, the only character to die in my presence was Frank, but it wasn't by my hand (of course as far as i know there is no way to get past him without the outcome being ultimatley his death).

6. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

No Jar I can speak for my brother, he is academically more intelligent than most 13 year olds. But social intelligence e.g. the intelligence to fuck off and give up when he knows he's lost? He has NONE of that.

7. Settler

Settler Member

8. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Ah Jarinor, must you try futilely to prove my stupidity? Yeah, I guess you know me better than someone who's actually met me. Makes a lot of sense. Actually, that girl that said I was very smart is prone to bagging, so I guess you're wrong...yet again. Besides, why should I shut the fuck up? I'm having as much fun reading your biased and stupid posts as you are posting them. I don't need to comment about that comprehension remark, as that's covered above. Maybe you're right about the beating part. Maybe you could give me the number of the person that beat the sense into you. But I guess asking for a 3 year old girl's number could be seen as weird. Sea Dog, I'm only losing because their combined stupidity overpowers my above average intelect. And I do have social intelligence, I just chose not to use it on this forum.

9. Tholtan DarkOne

Tholtan DarkOne New Member

SHUT UP! SHUT UP WOLF! SHUT UP JAR!

Can't you see it? Another thread became a ISWOLFIESOSTUPIDANDSTUBBORNIDIOT(?) ramblings!

Thou shalt not tell an admin what to do in their domain - Jar

10. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

anyone ever play Arx Fatalis?? Original was on pc and it is a rather good game. It has just been released on like xbox or something (one of those new systems that I am not familiar with)

11. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Well, I see. You've certainly managed to piss a lot of people off.

Way to try and annoy people. Who do you think you are? Einstein? And even if you were, there's a difference between intelligence and wisdom.
    By the way, here goes the correct spelling of "intellect".

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Not trying to prove your stupidity, but rather awaken your mind.

Where did I try and say that I knew you better than others? Go on, quote my exact words which prove this statement of yours. I was merely highlighting, from my own experience, typical situations that are common to one such as yours. In other words, I've seen people like you before in real life, who were not as smart as they thought they were.

And this proves what? If someone is prone to bagging that does not mean they can't compliment/flatter people if there's something they want from them.

Because I'm telling you to, and here I am your Lord and God :).

Given that to have an argument you have to have a bias to one side of an issue this statement doesn't really hold up. Of course you think I'm stupid - every 13 year old who's had a disagreement always thinks the other person is stupid. Try, I don't know, ACTUAL NEGATIVE words next time around.

Really? Whereabouts?

If I was 10 days old at the time, would that make a difference :D? Anyway, she'd be in her late 20's now, so she'd just laugh at your tiny dick anyway.

Actually, I 'had my sense beaten into me' by 60 people at least twice my size. Coincidentally, I was also around 13 at the time. Nothing like casual cruelty to open your eyes.

It's obviously a pretty low intellect given there as I haven't noticed stupidity emanating from anyone but you lately.

I konw hwo to spel! Honets! I jsut cna't be botherd!

13. DrFraud

DrFraud New Member

Not why. If.

14. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Jarinor, reading your post all I'm going to point out is how stupid you are due to the fact that in the you say I have a low intellect, when my brother, who actually knows me says I'm smart, and then you ask me when you said you knew me better than people who actually know me.

15. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Sleek Jeek's irrational take on what you've been posting:

Holy shit though man, despite what your brother says you seem to make yourself out to fit Jarinor's assesment (and mine, and that of many other people in his forum) at every turn. May be you paid your brother? Or gave him some candy? Or let him use the computer uninterrupted by your idiocy for a few days in order to get him to say that.

I have no doubt that you are of some kind of intelligence, but it is painfully obvious that you have no experience in the field of ethics, philosophy, or sex. SO SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Charlie Maguire's rational incite into your frustration:

There are many reasons we have sex, and they are RARELY love. I for one know that I have never had sex because of love, it may have seemed like love at the time, but so far it just seems lust is very good at tricking me. Of course with the kind of social attitude you've displayed, the ladies won't ever touch you, no matter how smart and or in love/lustful you are. Please don't take this as an insult, its just practical advice. You really need to listen more to the people around you, and when you are refuted, do not take it as a personal affront to your own intelligence, no matter how great your literary knowledge may be you still have VERY little empirical experience compared to say........... Labyritnian. Once you can recognize that you are NOT impeccable then you will be able to fully assess your flaws and improve upon them, but this indignant ranting and raving you seem prone to is simply underscoring our obvious inexperience.

16. Wolf

Wolf New Member

See, this is where most of you prove your stupidity. You make me out to be arrogant when all I do is defend myself. I can't help th fact that I'm smart. I never would have mentioned it if you guys hadn't insulted my intelligence. In conclusion you should keep an open mind rather than taking my posts in the most arrogant, stupid way. You see, I don't hold myself above others, but if you bag me, expect me to place myself above you for the sake of the insult, as that's how everyone does it.

17. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Thats NOT an arrogant statement hmmmmmMMMMMMM?

18. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I'm not arrogant, I just think modesty is a crime. And that isn't an arrogant statement. I don't see how "admitting" that I'm smart is arrogant. Obviously I know I'm smart. Many people know that they're smart. Not all of those people will say it. And I only say it when it's brought up, especally if someone bags me. A few have you have mentioned the use of bag. Ok, it's simple. If I say stop insulting me it sounds to me like I feel insulted or offended. Hence the use bag.

19. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

Mr Wolf, I have been here one day, and already I've grown sick of you. You insist that you are not stupid, yet you refute your point by pointing out, and dually proving your stupidity. Seriously, just quit trying to prove your smart, and just BE smart. Please, for the sake of my sanity and everyone elses.

20. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I'm sorry, but your second sentence didn't make any sense. Please take care of your own stupidity before pointing out mine.

Our Host!