Best ending outcome for Tarant/Caladon negotiations?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by tamaneko, Apr 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. tamaneko

tamaneko New Member

I've been reading in the older threads that the choices you make in negotiating for Caladon's acceptance into the Unified Kingdom affects the ending in some way. Is this true? What's the best choice possible for getting the best ending outcome for both parties? :-?

I'd hate to see what I did makes things worse for Caladon or leads to war with Tarant, and I do NOT want to play through Arcanum against just to get the best possible ending. I have this weird OCD compulsion, no matter how much I hate it, to check every single trashcan in every single city I go to, particularly Tarant for items to sell...and that's something I do not want to go through again... :roll:

2. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Try to follow the instructions of the notes the persuasion master gave you.

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

The good ending is easy to get, just use moderation in your choices ie. shared railroad control. To get the bad ending you have to get them to accept worse options such as magic being a capital offence.

4. tamaneko

tamaneko New Member

Ah, ok. The best I've gotten is an acceptable outcome which gets me 7000 gold from Willoughsby. I've stuck as close as possible to the memo, with the exception of the labor unions(those poor orcs deserve full rights!) Is this enough to get the good ending? I read the FAQ section of the site and this is the ending that I'm aiming for...

"Outstanding performance in negotiations between Caladon and Tarant, together with the wise policies of Donn Throgg – Caladon and Tarant become equally prosperous. "

I've already gotten Throgg to escape, so that's all I'd need to do to ensure this ending?

5. Vorak

Yes.

Although I find your actions rather odd, I went out of my way to ensure that Caladon got screwed over.

6. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I actually felt that Caladon was to be pitied on. I must say, I don't like Tarant and its little mafia guys, but I wanted to earn the Ambassador reputation so I got the best deal for Tarant. Beauty helps a lot for that.

7. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Yep. And so do fate points. I've always liked Caladon better than Tarant, 'cause Arland is more beautiful than the UF, so I listened to as many of the guys outside the Council chambers as I could, and debated for Caladons prosperity as much as I could. Long live Caladon!

8. tamaneko

tamaneko New Member

You know what...I think I agree. I just finished the Half-Ogre quest and, well, my opinion of Tarant and the gnomes who run it has changed. I think I'm just going to **** over Tarant as much as possible and hope those ******* ******* gnomes get as ****** over as much as possible! All I have to do is choose the most favorable options for Caladon, right?

9. Wolfsbane

Hmm... I happen to know that Don Throgg ends the Industrial Council if you help him escape, so that should be your first priority. The second thing to do would be to kill off the little disgusting gnome known as Edward Willoughsby (or whatever his surname is), as he's that guy Tyron tells you about. You know, the guy who kidnapped a prostitute and had a full blood Ogre rape her in his basement.
    He's the only rich gnome with a basement in Tarant, and he's got Lorham, his Half-Ogre guard. See? And who do you think the so-called "ally" of Tyron is, other than the very same gnome?
    The bastard deserves to die, so I kill him as often as I can.

10. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

11. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I'm not sure the thing's that way, but we must admit he's got a point, don't you think? It was a nice observation. :)

Which reminds me, some days ago I discovered that the herbalist in Ashbury is sleeping with the halfling in the red jacket that roams around the town. Short guys must have something :lol:

12. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Halflings are generally the most sexually active creatures in almost all fantasy settings.

13. Wolfsbane

Or, the halfling is filthy rich and so tiny that the so-called "wife" of his doesn't feel anything when he does his thing.

14. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

exactly! No taxes for caladon! no currency change! no dissolving of military! more grogg!

15. Regressor

Regressor New Member

Game Banshee Walktrough said all you need to deliver the negotiations to maximum outcome to Tarrant is 19 Cha. I already asked that in "my" topic but is there any sence in raising our charosma above 20?

Is there anyway to get the Abassador reputation without strictly following the recomended by Willoughsby always choosing the first options? And what ending do those lead to? I mean those aren't nessesary awlays the most dissing for Caladon.

And there are those witty aswers. Like the offering that Caladon will continue to collect taxes for shipping passages but there will relievs for Tarrant, which I think is a pretty good solution.

Does the Abassador reputation have any benefits?

16. Vorak

20 Charisma for a ersuassion character is a must, firstly, you get another follower slot and secondly no matter what you suggest in the negotiations they'll go along with it.

Being a Persuasion Master also enables you to recruit both good and evil followers regardless of your own allignment.

17. tamaneko

tamaneko New Member

The Herbalist must be an elf. The manual does mention that Halflings are unusually, fondly regarded by the elves. A good example of this is to see how the guard in front of the entrance to Quintarra reacts to different races. If you're a halfling, the dialog says the guard will pick you up and hug you right away. If you're a half-orc, the guard barely contains his anger and desire to kill you on the spot. :-o

I think I'll keep this quest unresolved for now, just to determine EXACTLY how the choices affect the ending. Kinda disappointed no one else has done an Ending FAQ like Fallout's which shows exactly what determines what ending. Thank goodness Arcanum doesn't have a time limit in any of the quests! :D

Our Host!