Japan gets the biggest earthquake in its history

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drog Alt, Mar 11, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. random1

random1 New Member

I remember watching a documentary (some weeks ago) where at some point it talked about buildings in Japan and their needs.
    At some point they said something like that Japan was due for a big earthquake because of the cumulating tensions between the tectonic plaques. They just didn't knew when, if it was tomorrow, in 50 years, or 200.
    Well, we now know. Let's just hope that the follow up replicas will be minimal.

About the nuclear powerplant being near the shoreline, well, I suppose they built is dare to take advantage of the sea water itself for cooling purposes... but I'm just speculating here.
    They could have built it inland, but what if the epicenter would have been directly under the nuclear power plant? That wouldn't solve it.
    Japan lies over the ring of fire... you can't escape that.

Being a bit of a weeaboo myself I can't help being quite saddened by this.
    OTOH, my sense of humor doesn't prevent me from imagining FO4 game setting, or that this was godzilla's fault, or that finally we have a plausible justification for tentacle hentai...

2. Sjael

Sjael New Member

Even with the Richter scale, the Japan quake was much further away, and consequentially hit Japan with much less energy than the one here.

Now, go back and read what I'm talking about. The post I was responding to intimated that I didn't understand how bad an 8.9 earthquake is. I intimated that I do, because my city was wrecked by a smaller one.

Dear friend. :)

3. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Considering a volcano just woke up in Japan after 54 years of sleep, I'd say the tectonic consequences of the earthquake are pretty great.

Alright, alright, I get what you are saying. That doesn't dismiss the fact that japanese engineers, who most likely know quite a bit about construction of sturdy earthquake-proof buildings, as well as nuclear reactors, failed to account for a natural disaster this strong, and this says a lot about said disaster. Frankly, I can't blame them.

4. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

Hah, I just found out that the only two nuclear power plants here in Brazil were built EXACTLY above the only geological fault on the whole country (we're actually a big country).

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

6. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I planned ahead by staying the fuck away from faultlines. I can appreciate that the rich, volcanic soil is a tempting place to settle... right up until the very earth smites your civilisation like a bug.

7. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Living in Sweden is wonderful. We don't have natural disasters here. At all. We once had a nasty storm that crippled a part of the countrys electricity, bt that's about it.

That said, I feel for Japan right now. 8.9 is just... too much.

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Are you sure you're safe?

9. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

There is a big possibility that one of the Canary Islands that is divided in half by two tectonic plates could suffer an earthquake and litteraly slide into the sea, cause an enormous Tsunami, bigger than that one in Lituya Bay, Alaska*.

Literally the whole world would be in it's path of destruction, scientists say it could penetrate 25km inside the major continents shores.

*See this

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I stay the fuck away from Sydney too. Admittedly, a pacific wide tsunami would smite my house good, but I have a wee mountain a few km away.

Also, let the record show that I have nothing but compassion for the Japanese, and nothing but disgust for the "pearl harbour" attitude.

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

When I see something like that picture it really makes me wish you needed a license to procreate.

13. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

If Japan had any karmic justice due them after Pearl Harbor, they more than received it at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, not to mention the Allied occupation.

14. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Whining about Pearl Harbour is so pathetic. It was war, for fucks sake. Shit happens, and even more so during war. I'm so goddamn tired of stupid people.

15. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

16. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

You should search for all of the Australian people posting stuff like "Fuck you Japan, you deserved it -The Whales/Dolphins." It's pretty crazy how retarded people are, regardless of what country they live in.

17. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Oh, there was just an earthquake in my state, far from any faultline. I hereby surrender any and all illusions of safety.

Doom! Doom! Doom!

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It puts eugenics in a better light, doesn't it?

19. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

There will be no end to stupid people. Even if only the best and brightest are allowed to procreate, social constructs such as right and wrong, smart or stupid will still remain. Just be thankful you're all smart enough to realize this planet is full of idiots.

20. Kaitol

Kaitol New Member

Yay, a nigh-on dictator emperor and military officials were dumbass war mongers, its ironic they constituted the only victims of this tragedy. Oh wait.

Seriously is it such a difficult skill to think a second before you stick your head up your ass. Wars are started by politicians. Not the fucking great grandchildren of the people who were ruled by a militant state. And then nuked. I want to find a kitten, punch it, then mail a picture to all of those people and show them what they drive a mostly sane man to do with their utter lack of intelligence or logical thought.

Our Host!