Way to create modules based on Arcanum

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Gildorn, Sep 1, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

Is there a way to create a module, USING WorldEd, that would be based on original Arcanum module. If I want to create a module, let's say based on the Arcanum that has the bugs fixed - the latest version of unofficial patch by Drog. Is there a way for me to make a new module (Let's say "Arcanum - Gildorn's edition"), in which everything remains the same, plus I can add characters, dialogues, modify some scripts and dialogues of some characters?

2. Constipation

Constipation New Member

3. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

Eh, you actually know how to do that? Well, I didn't know whether you are an editorman or not... So?

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It is possible to convert Arcanum into a module and make your modifications but it sounds to me like you're thinking more of a main game expansion.
    If so, unpack the AWIP 6.0's patch1 and Arcanum.dat5 files for a guide.

5. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

Thanx a bunch friend. Isn't this the mod that expands many things in Arcanum, including the tech discipline symbols on the technological books, adding MANY schematics to smiths, inventors and gunsmiths, etc. (Including the expansion of the editor)? In my former system I had Arcanum that way.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yes it is.
    Feel free to use anything you find useful it.

7. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

There's a problem... Since I read manual to your expansion arcanum_rroyo_AWIP6.0, I needed to uninstall and reinstall the Arcanum, cos I was using the latest Drog's patch UAP091225.
    Your readme says that:

Huh, well, that's pity. Does it mean it will cause problems and can't work with the newest patch 091225? :(
    You know, the latest patch contains great bug-fixes within, including removed bug item data, resulting into pestering window "Are you sure you want to quit? Yes, No".

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Appearently I wasn't clear.
    Unpack the AWIP additions to a safe place outside your game - or - make a second install so you can have a functional version of it and unpack the additions. It will play unpacked.

This way you can use the UAP as the foundation for your hack.

9. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

What version of WorldEd would you recommend me as the most advanced to make such things? I know there were some changes made to WorldEDs within the progress of the newer patches and versions.
    Now, I don't know if I recall correctly, but your AWIP also modifies the Editor, am I correct?

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

1) Most definately use the latest one that comes with the UAP. I did and was very pleased with the refinements Drog made.

2) Not that I was ever aware of.
    Now, having said that, I suppose it is possible that the modified game engine does effect WorldEd in some way, but I have no idea how.

11. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

Nevermind then, thanx.

btw. Not long ago, I just realized that I wasn't playing your AWIP mod before, cos I had it buggy - possibly some things applied over it that ruined it all. I think I didn't have the brown box at the start then. I even used to load previous game saves, saw the technological art icons on tech books, seen the molochean hand groups modified and even more, BUT - I wasn't able to enter Iron Clan - it was all black map, so I had to load it. Even Leahbo, Cotswold and others weren't there.
    Now I am playing your AWIP and enjoy that. :)
    Brandybuck village :D - Tokien Hobbit Shire with original LOTR music in Arcanum :D, funny thing, but good work. :)

Say, is it possible to add sound to NPCs, voice acting? I checked all Arcanum1-6.DATs, and there were no speech sound files to export - e.g. Kerghan's talk or Magnus or Virgil etc. Is there anybody at the forum, who managed to do that and add custom voiced NPCs?

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Glad you like it. I thought the hobbit music was a nice touch.

Yes, it is - but it's something I really didn't learn how to do.
    Perhaps another modder will be good enough to explain the mechanics of voice-overs.

I can however help you with the location of the speech files. They're in the main Arcanum.dat/Sound/Speech folder. The downside side is, they're not labled "Virgil", "Magnus", etc. You'll need to sample the files and take notes.

Our Host!