Private shared space for Arcanum expansion conceptions

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Gildorn, Jan 24, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

Hi there dudes!

I'd like to ask you: Is there a special place in the forum that would restrict seeing and sharing the replies only between me, Muro, rroyo, possibly some old timers that could give useful advices and don't mind seeing spoilers?

Generally I think revealing the secrets and conceptions for one's mod or expansion in public makes a spoiler as it kills the adventure and surprise that a player, new to it, can have. Let the players be surprised and taste the unspoiled new editions.
    Considering this, I would require some Arcanum sages - Muro would be sufficient if he agrees to, having studied all details of the game from the beginning to the end. And possibly rroyo, being possibly the most prominent editorman of the forum to ask for help, advices etc.

Don't know exactly if I would have the time to edit the expansion myself, but at least the conceptions are made - which of course - need to be REVISED whether it does not collide with the key moments of the game. If it does, some changes will be made, but not in the degree to cancel the project. Saying this, some of you may see that I have learned from my input the first time I started to post threads into forums. No mistakes anymore - and so Muro you would be a suitable person to consult.

2. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

So many fans are eager to talk the talk, but virtually none are ready to walk the walk.

What do you think makes you special? What skills do you have?

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Seriously though, it's a bit elitist to want your own area of the forum cordoned off so you and the "sages" of Arcanum knowledge can have a private chat (not that Muro, rroyo and Drog aren't Arcanum sages). If want something to be a community project then make it public to whole community, if not wouldn't you be better off hosting it on a website of your own design and PMing people for advice and help if you're really going to reject the majority of other people's opinions? Also to get anyone interested producing results, like a small area of the game so people know you wouldn't just be wasting their time, might help.

4. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

Nothing at all, I don't mean to place myself into some special elite group, but it is not quite wise to post publicly everything about someone's mod or expansion - and this relates also to those who post their conceptions - because all can see it and if someone decides to play it, he/she sees the spoiler in the conceptions.
    This was only kinda an advice to make some room for private mods or mod construction - saying this I appeal to modmakers not to post publicly the content of the mod, cos the players won't be suprised anymore when playing.
    Don't know exactly whether the forum site could support such thing, but a useful place for modmakers would it be.

Once the mods/expansion/whatever are completed, the editormen will put the releases in for everyone to be downloaded and tested.

5. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Well there's always facebook or skype or msn or any number of places where could discuss private story related material if you were really worried about spoiling it for everyone and you got other people on board. Or you could just do it via PMs on this forum if people didn't want you knowing who they were. Honestly though the basic premise, setting, time frame and that sort of deal can be sketched out without revealing many spoilers; and besides I think people would have the self restraint to avoid clicking on your thread if they didn't want to spoil things for themselves and they were interested in your expansion anyway so you may as well discuss it here.

6. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

sounds like a plan :)
    Maybe tomorrow I'll start posting here the stuff I made (or will make).

7. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

May I ask you, rroyo - cos your AWIP is in Hall of fame :) - during making of your expansion, did you present your ideas first in the forum, or did you present it to the community already released?

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

No.

Make a thread in these sections, and if you've any issues with people trolling and I don't notice, message me.

9. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

He's right.
    He's right.
    Drog's point does not apply specifically to Arcanum modifications. I can't begin to imagine how many pet projects have been begun and not finished! Take for example this Arcanum tabletop project: I haven't done a damn thing toward it.
    I suggest you post openly and rely on your fanbase's self control to protect them from spoiling your content for themselves. If you're worried about somebody stealing and profiting from your ideas, don't.

10. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It was just about an equal mixture of both when you look at the entire hack.

I started out with just my own ideas (I was just building for myself at the time) but I quickly learned that getting input on a scene really helped in pointing out potential problems or even a better way for the scene to play.

My personal recommendation would be to find an idea you like, then run it past the others here.
    Also, don't make my mistake of trying to please everyone by altering your creation too far away from the story you are trying to tell. Listen to their ideas, keep the ones that are useful, but be ready to decline the rest.

12. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

Much appreciated rroyo. Thanx... in a right time, I'll start a new thread, all about the expansion conception. ;)

Our Host!