Arcanum online play

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Derfud, Sep 8, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Derfud

Derfud New Member

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to actually get Arcanum working online? I made an account and everything, but I just can't seem to be able to connect to online games. I have a router if that is a problem. Thanks for your help :)

2. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

I doubt a router is the problem... it may be that your behind a firewall (such as I am with ZoneAlarm) or that you haven't gotten the newest update (1.0.7.4 I'm pretty sure), so test those two things and make sure your firewall isn't blocking, and your patches are update... that might fix it... if not then come back and complain more, and someone smarter will help you :p

3. Tantalus

Tantalus New Member

Online problem

Actually it is the simple fact that Sierra shut down their online server, so no one can play the game one the internet. When they sent the game out to the stores it had a problem and couldnt connect to the server. Then after a while, the geniuses at Sierra realized that no one had gotten on the server, and instead of patching the game to fix the problem so people could go online and play, they simply shut the server down and now that portion of the game (which would have kicked ass by the way) is useless and lost forever. Someone should make a server for it so we can all play online... But no one that is capable seems to have the ambition, so I guess we all get screwed! :-x

4. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Re: Online problem

Ehh ?

Online server ?

For Arcanum ? From when ?

5. Tantalus

Tantalus New Member

Online Play

There was supposed to be Online Internet Multiplayer for Arcanum. But it never worked right so instead of fixing it, Sierra just shut down the damn server...

6. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

NEVER worked?!? I played a couple of days ago! That seems weird dude. :roll: Of course in the very recent, there has been an excessive amount of bullshit going on with the server, I'll check it out again right now.

7. Derfud

Derfud New Member

My router has a hardware firewall, and I do have the 1074 patch so it would probably only be the firewall.

8. Tantalus

Tantalus New Member

Strange... I just got it to work myself... When I called Sierra Tech support they told me that the online portion of the game was useless and never worked and never would work... I'm gonna call and tell them to stop telling people the worng information tomorrow... This is a good Forum :p

9. Derfud

Derfud New Member

Also, the servers I see, are always 0(0) for amount of players.

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Actually, that has never mattered for me, I saw Tantalus in a game yesterday and I tried to join. I loaded completely but my connection is retarded so I ended up crashing, but it still worked. Are you sure you don't have any other problems.

11. Derfud

Derfud New Member

Whenever I try to join a server it just says: Unable to connect, aborting connection.

12. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

That would mean that the game isn't on anymore and you need to reset your server. If you exit back to the main menu of Arcanum, where it says Single Player, Multiplayer, etc it should reset, and don't worry you don't have to reconnect to WON.net That really is the only problem with the 0(0) thing, you can't see if the game is ACTUALLY up or not. Usually if the game is up you'll see a time for how long it's been established next to the 0(0) though.

13. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Long story short:
    Multiplayer was poorly built.
    It occasionally works for some people
    In general it does not work.

14. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I'm not sure if it was poorly BUILT, definately poorly supported though. On a good day I can get everything connected very easily, but the server isn't always good :/

15. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

someone should try to fix it... like do some work to the coding... I bet that you could get a copy of the coding from Sierra for that... and just do some re-coding... (and yes, I do know how much work that would be) or you could always try to fix it yourself... in some other way...

16. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I doubt Sierra would GIVE you code, because they can SELL it to you instead, and I think they might like that option more. And if you know how much work it is, you do it, that would involve making a patch distributing it to alot of users, and even if you can figure out what the hell is wrong in the first place. Plus the problems with server business and bad connection aren't going to be solved by hacking files. As much as I love Arcanum, I think it would just be best to pray the sequel is better.

17. Derfud

Derfud New Member

Since Sierra is just the publisher, why not e-mail Troika asking them to make another patch, considering they do all the coding work and all that.

18. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Troika probably wouldn't want to put in the effort either, they don't seem to love us :cry: But don't let me quash your dreams, email, rant at them, rave even. If you guys can get something done I would be thoroughly impressed.

Our Host!