Nothing exists.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xyle, Sep 27, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xyle

Xyle Member

What do think of the idea that nothing exists?

• "...light does not actually exist."
      http://www.science20.com/alpha_meme/fun ... ight-75861

Subatomic particles, such as electrons, can be made from light as particle pairs (matter + antimatter).

All of physical reality is made of subatomic particles.

Conclusion: Nothing exists. Therefore if God created the universe, then he created nothing from nothing.
    Thoughts?

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Xyle I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you but I had a conversion with Jesus the other day and he told me to tell you he doesn't love you anymore. I really didn't want to be the one to tell you but I just thought you should know.

3. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

If you had a conversion with Jesus, then you're in Xyle's camp now.

Whether I perceive reality or my reality is shaped by my perception is a moot point because in either case I'm experiencing my perceptions and not reality in the raw.

4. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

It says in the article that light doesn't exist in regards to itself. To anything that isn't light, it exists. The author actually described the whole concept of "catching up to" a beam of light incorrectly. Light is effectively moving infinitely fast. Its wavelength will be stretched out, but even if you're moving 99.999999% light speed, it will still be moving 186,000 miles per second relative to your position, even if you yourself are moving (per my example) 3 meters per second slower than a beam of light itself. There is no way to catch up to light unless you have negative mass and can move faster than it does, but if you have negative mass and move faster than light, you can't interact with anything that follows the mathematics dictating the function of the known universe.
    Light and matter are interchangeable, yes. This has been theorized and ultimately shown conclusively when a beam of light was stopped in a Bose-Einstein condensate and it became a particle/antiparticle pair. This means that light's energy (far from nothing) is proportional to the matter "created" when it stops moving without being absorbed by an electron.
    Creating nothing from nothing is so easy that everyone does it at some point in their lives. Are you saying that God is just as powerful as the average baby? Homeless crackhead? Teenage slacker? Sleeping intern? Bored person in the DMV? Dog watching television? Gorilla eating its own poop?

5. Jojobobo

Hey whoa there's nothing wrong with atheists having conversations with Jesus too, if he wants to be in my dreams then who's to stop him! Honestly it was a rather lame trolling attempt, but still I've always wanted to say that to a religious type and have them break down saying, "Well if Jesus said that about me, it must be true!"

I am genuinely interested and baffled at how some of these are creating something from nothing, though I think the gorilla eating its own poop is fairly self explanitory.

6. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Re: Physics: Nothing exists.

Somebody hasn't got around to reading Wittgenstein!

7. Grossenschwamm

I didn't say "something from nothing." I was just saying how things that are capable of doing nothing at certain times are creating nothing out of nothing, and are just as powerful as God. Perhaps my gorilla poop example was poor; they do that to get more vitamin B12 in their diet.

8. Jojobobo

That is true, I'll now go flagellate myself.

9. Grossenschwamm

I just thought of a t-shirt slogan for puritans;
    Sex can wait, flagellate!

10. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

My Son says the Damnedest things.

11. TheDavisChanger

Unless I misinterpreted your original post and you actually converted Jesus, then that would make you the most Ultimate Successful Troll is Successful Evar.

12. Jojobobo

Yeah I meant conversation, I really need to learn to read what I type before I click submit.

13. Xyle

Xyle Member

The problem with that outcome is that by saying something contrary to a religious type's belief system (as the song says: "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so") they will automatically assume that you were either a) speaking with the Devil and the Devil deceived you into believing that you were talking to Jesus or b) you were lying. So in the spirit of being a "religious type": "God loves you, man" and "I forgive you." Aren't we having fun.

If I was the type to break down, I won't be on this site after reading "Rules: THE ALL-IMPORTANT FAQ - READ OR DIE" thread. And as many religious types tend to rules-oriented, I doubt that anyone that would respond in the manner you desire will ever post on this forum. May I suggest finding a religious forum to troll?

Actually, I was thinking of Our Undiscovered Universe : introducing null physics by Terence Witt, which seemed to me to be a blend of metaphysical nihilism and physics (although I only read the first 3 chapters). And what I find most interesting is that with the first three verses of I Corinthians 13 ("I am nothing" v2), metaphysical nihilism seems to have a place within Christian theology. Although I think that I would be hard pressed to find to another Christian who would agree.

The premise behind the link provided seemed to provide a more reliable means of pressing the same ideas. Of course, this is another topic where I am challenged so I am trying not to provide any information that my incomplete understanding may have corrupted.

14. Grossenschwamm

Anything related to metaphysics is something that can't be explained physically, because it's a type of philosophy. Indeed, metaphysical nihilism may have been inspired by I Corinthians 13. However, there are similar views in other religious texts as well. The mark of a poor physicist (i.e. one who couldn't hack the math) is the combination of physics and a branch of philosophy.

15. Charonte

Charonte Member

Lol, that FAQ thread has to be the most mild mannered thing on this forum. If you 'breakdown' after reading that then you're a dweeb anyway (though I am not necessarily excluding those who did make it further from this category) - though I am impressed that you've lasted this long.

Also Xyle, do me a favour please and stop making these physics threads. Stick to what you're best at, aka being a religious nut.

Disclaimer -- I realise that their will invariably be a response labelling me as an angry little man or whatever, however in actual fact I come here because I feel like it, to post what I feel like. Unfortunately I am not here to satisfy some members wanky misanthropic attitudes. Sorry.

16. Xyle

Xyle Member

Like Charles Darwin, natural philosopher? Or scientist's who believe in Ockham's razor, a philosophy and not math? Or Sir Isaac Newton's ability to use a mix of philosophy and science to define space?

I believe that what you meant, but did not say, is that the mark of a poor physicist is one puts philosophy before science. Because quite frankly all philosophies can be derived from perception, and if one alters one's perception to be defined by the very reality that science explains, one will still have a philosophy that is combination of science and philosophy.

EDIT: Also, the book I mentioned above has tons of math and seems to be a rewrite of a physics textbook, but with an entirely different approach that the textbook that I used for university and now use for current reference purposes.

17. TheDavisChanger

I know what you meant, but I preferred the literal reading of your response because it put you in Xyle's camp, and later (when it occurred to me) gave you the powers to convert Jesus himself.
    You are an angry little man, not because you abuse Xyle but because you are angry little man!

18. Xyle

Xyle Member

You missed my point. The rules thread contains ample warning as to the nature of the interactions in this forum. Therefore, being warned, they would leave and not post here.

Why? Haven't you heard of martyrs before? People whose "nutness" has them enduring things up to and including death. It just means that their belief is sincere enough to endure whatever they have to.
    So I have a martyr complex. Just be thankfully that I can't be recruited for a suicide bombing mission. If God wants someone dead, he doesn't need human help to do it: he has angels for that.

Ahhh... but God created reality and physics is the study of reality; therefore, physics is the study of God's handiwork. Therefore I have an interest in reconciling science and religion within my worldview(s).

What anger? Displeased perhaps, but anger? Anger requires passion, and I don't read any passion in your words. Also why would you be anger at others being as you are? Posting what they feel like.

I have no problem with disagreement, belief in things contrary to my beliefs or even deliberately taking an argumentive position. I am a firm believer in an individual's freedom of speech and I find such positions useful. Like wood finds sandpaper useful -- unpleasant at times, but useful. However, that means I will continue to post about physics whenever I feel like it. Sorry, but I am also "not here to satisfy some members wanky misanthropic attitudes".

---------

Addenum: Is it consider bad manners to change the name of a thread midway?

19. Grossenschwamm

http://hep.ucsb.edu/people/bmonreal/Null_Physics_Review.html
    On top of that review, the author is completely ignorant of any observable evidence that would discount his "theory." And, if the review is correct and Terence is actually trying to use infinity in his "math," then he's an idiot. He bases all of what he "knows" about physics on circular logic (and stuff that was proven wrong decades ago), and upon review of certain excerpts on his website, I can definitively say that he has no idea how photons work, or how black holes work. Hell, he doesn't really know how anything works.

20. TheDavisChanger

The other day, my co-workers were discussing theoretical and quantum physics. One bloke was saying that if you took a 10ft (3m) ladder and accelerated it to the speed of light it would fit in a garage that was only 8ft (um, 8ft?) deep.

For him, I have the same question that I have for religious people: how do you know?
    You don't! It's not the case that because you don't know what you're talking about you should just shut up, but you shouldn't expect anybody else to be appreciative of your rhetoric.

Even if this bloke did know for certain what he was talking about, it is so far removed from anything applicable to me that it is just a waste of time. I am not learning anything useful and I am not being amused. I've gotten more out of knock-knock jokes.

And my garage is more than 8ft deep.

Our Host!