The Escapist on Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by Dark Elf, Jun 27, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The Escapist has written an article on their E3 impressions of PoE.

Arcanum, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale - the games we love and cherish all employed isometric view, and of course Pillars of Eternity does the same. It's just not the view that is similar to BG though, which the Escapist points out:

[​IMG]

The game apparently starts out with a classic whodunnit scenario, and I gather the big question at the beginning of the game is just who attacked your caravan, just like you're asking who caught you for what reason in BG2, and who stole the Waterdhavian creatures in Neverwinter Nights.

[​IMG]

One thing that never sat well with me was the artificial class restrictions on equipment imposed by some (usually older) games. I get that a wizard may not have equivable training with a longsword compared to a fighter, but lacking training shouldn't mean you're physically incapable of grasping the hilt.
    Also, there is no charisma stat in this game. Whilst I was initially shocked, it seems that they are going for a more reputation/choice based system of dialogue and quite frankly I like the sound of that. Ask yourself; why should a fighter be less suave than a rogue in dialogue? What success in dialogue comes down to in the end is things like experience, maturity, the recipient's disposition towards you and the aura of respect you command; it's not like being able to skulk in the shadows gives you the upper hand here.

I just have to reiterate how much I am looking forward to this game.

Read the full article here.

Our Host!