Modding Tool: Arcanum Factory 1.4.1 (01-2020)

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by FilthyJack, Apr 15, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. FilthyJack

FilthyJack Member Supporter

Hello,

It's time to show some love for my favorite game, a new version of Arcanum Factory has been released! (1.4.1)
    It now supports any language.
    This tool is meant to allow modders to create new content for Arcanum and WorldEd.

Arcanum Factory
    ---------------------

Features :
    ----------

-Universal Language Support
    -Create new Weapons
    -Create new Armors (everything else you can equip)
    -Create new Items (Generic/Scroll/Consumable)
    -Create new Schematics
    -Create new ART to use with your items
    -Create new Backgrounds
    -Create new Effects and auto-assign them to your items
    -Add new item names/descriptions
    -Modify Shops/Containers/Inventories
    -Test your stuff directly in Arcanum or WorldEd
    -Create an auto-install Package to share your project
    -You can also alter the game files directly if you want
    -Extract Arcanum maps and edit them in WorldEd
    -GUI interface with a lot of tips
    -Restore Arcanum Content anytime with just one click
    -Fix slowdowns on recent Windows (wined3d method)
    -Compatible with Windows, Wine/PlayOnLinux or VBox
    -Also compatible with GOG version of the game (pre-patched to 1074)

Requirements :
    ---------------

-Full Arcanum Install + Patch 1074 + Unofficial Arcanum Patch 1.4 (with extra content)
    -I recommend installing/extracting the Factory inside Arcanum folder.
    -Both Patches can be found under the download section here at Terra-Arcanum.
    -The Factory will use Arcanum\data\ folder and Arcanum.PATCH5-6 file, please make sure you have a backup of any other mods or personal work you had in there.

Screenshots :
    --------------

[​IMG]

Screen: Armor Editor
    Screen: Art Editor
    Screen: Background Editor
    Screen: Schematic Editor

Download :
    -----------

Download Arcanum Factory 1.4.1 FULL
    Download Arcanum Factory 1.4.1 Update Only

Download Followers Auto Level Mod (English Only)

This will always be the link to the latest version.

If you need a quick reply then please contact me here filthyjack@lotusrevenge.fr, otherwise it may take a while for me to answer and I hate to make people wait ;)

Install :
    --------

-To install just extract inside Arcanum folder, if you downloaded the additonal pack then drop the Utilities folder inside ArcanumFactory\Factory and you should be good to go.
    -I also suggest you read the ReadMe.txt to avoid a few surprises.
    -To install an Addon Package produced by Arcanum Factory you need to have the game + patch 1074 + UAP 1.4 (with extra content).
    -I don't think it will work with AWIP.

ChangeLog 1.2
    New Features:

-Increased maximum numbers of new items, descriptions and containers.
    -Incredibly Reduced loading time for most editors (you'll see what I mean with the schematics editor)
    -Backgrounds Editor (use effects, custom inventory/gold etc)
    -Import Portraits directly from any bmp/png/gif.
    -Effects Editor
    -Auto assign effects to your items (up to 4)
    -Improved Items Editor (access to scripts, light flag for torches, raw open/save)
    -Improved Container Editor (set gold amount, change titles and use up to 400 new inventories for worlded)
    -Art Editor (supporting gif/png/bmp, transparency, creating/extracting art, only facades and fonts are not supported)
    -Art Editor includes a Gif Maker tool to merge your animation frames/palettes if needed.
    -Access to scripts counters and flags for all items
    -Added 'Light' Flag which will make your item emit light like the miner's helmet
    -Import scripts/dialogs/game protos directly (game protos replacements need to be imported)
    -Simplified Conf folder with the .mes files in case advanced modders want to edit them by hand
    -You can now simply drag and drop items in container/bg/inventory lists to sort them manually

Bug Fixes:

-Fixed XP/Linux compatibility
    -Fixed compatibility issue with UAP, now Factory requires 'UAP Extra Content' box ticked when installing UAP
    -Fixed a fair number of coding mistakes (non lethal) but as you will see it enhances the speed and interface a lot
    -Fixed PackInstaller to properly install and uninstall everything you have in your package
    -Fixed a problem loading multiline mes entries, you can now use line breaks in descriptions (BG/Schematics)
    -Fixed Setup bug not allowing you to exit if arcanum path setup fails
    -Fixed a bug when you restore arcanum content and then directly load schematics or containers (no descriptions would appear)
    -Fixed a bug when saving sized items schematics

ChangeLog 1.3
    New Features:

-Art Editor now displays an accurate in-game inventory preview in new window.
    -You can now drag and drop art/bmp/png/gif files directly on the Art Editor window for quick loading.
    -Arcanum Manager lets you extract/load Arcanum in WorldEd and modify it to your heart's content, you can also produce a small size mod ready to be shared.
    -Arcanum Launcher lets you add many commandline options to Arcanum.exe.
    -Added wined3d dlls if you have huge slowdowns on latest Windows, it will use more recent/faster rendering libraries. If -no3d -doublebuffer isn't enough.

Bug Fixes:

-Fixed a few minor bugs and typos reported by kind users!
    -Fixed PackInstaller to create a list of files and install/uninstall from the list. No more global wipe.
    -PackInstaller creates a readme '.txt' with the same name as the .exe installer, you could do the same thing with the preview image, just name it like the .exe with the extension '.png' and put it next to the installer.
    -Fixed Detonator schematic giving an error.
    -Fixed dead links in Help menu. (Terra-Arcanum and Wiki)

Changelog 1.4 beta
    The new WorldEd Menu:

-Extract Arcanum Campaign

This will extract the campaign module to modules\Arcanum.PATCH5, you can then open it in WorldEd, the modifications happen live and you can start Arcanum directly to test it, if anything goes wrong just hit "delete the extracted campaign" in the menu.

-Delete Extracted Campaign

Simply deletes Arcanum.PATCH5 (also resets the timestamps used to compare files)

-Retrieve New Files And Modified Sectors

This will retrieve your newly created content and the sectors you modified (including scenery etc), they are saved in modules\Arcanum_PATCH_CLEAN which is not active unless you rename it to Arcanum.PATCH5.

-Retrieve Latest Version Of Saved Files

This will retrieve the latest version of the files you already saved in modules\Arcanum.PATCH_CLEAN.

-Capture Mob Files From Clipboard

When you alter Arcanum's EXISTING (items/npc/containers), you will need to start this and click the G_XXXXX line at the bottom of the popup menu, this will ask you if you want to save it.
    Once you have done this you can hit "Retrieve latest version of saved files" and it will take these into account.

It is important that you use the menu and don't delete the folders manually unless you now what you are doing.

ChangeLog 1.4.1
    -Universal Language Support (Setup will extract language specific game files from your game the first time you start AF)
    -Fixed a bug for Generic/Food not saving the internal name.
    -Fixed custom art not showing up in WorldEd.
    -Fixed portraits not being imported properly.
    -Improved ART Editor bmp routines and compression, also allowed more file formats.
    -Optimized the code a lot, it now compiles with no warning at all and the interface is a lot faster.
    -Cleaned up the build, some of the test items and descriptions I used were still present.
    -Fixed some inaccurate tips

If you have any problem/bug/comment or suggestion, please let me know!

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Sagat91 likes this.
  2. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

3. FilthyJack

Re: Modding Tool: Arcanum Factory

Glad you like it :)

I intend to write a complete tutorial, increase the number of items you can create, and maybe add other languages compatibility.

I can't really provide a direct link to the source code because the Delphi2010 project is huge.. If you'd like to have a look at it just let me know.

A few tips that come to my mind:

-Instead of modifying game files you may consider creating your version of the item and replace its reference in shops/inventories.
    -Schematics Inventory Item (with desc/name/unknown etc) and Formulas are independant, you have to create your formulas, save them, then save the inventory items with the desired formula selected. Sorry it may take some time to get used to.
    -You'll probably need to restart the tool to make your new art or descriptions appear in the interface.
    -Changes you make to game files (.pro) via the raw open/raw save function won't be included in Packages, you'll have to manually add them to your pack's \data\proto folder.
    -It seems WorlEd is automatically changed to 1070 when you install the patch 1074, not sure, but if it's true then WorldEd 1069 and 1070 are both compatible.

4. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Two things.

- UAP already includes WorldEd 1.0.6.9.
    - Contrary to the popular belief, there's no such thing as WorldEd 1.0.7.0. The 1.0.7.0 patch was nothing more but a hotfix, so they didn't touch WorldEd at all.

5. FilthyJack

That explains why I couldnt see any change, it came from a report so I had to ask to make sure, I will update the tips on the interface and readme.

Thank you very much, and special thanks for your awesome work on engine hacks, proto range offsets, UAP and so on, coding this tool wouldn't have been possible without your work.

6. freddybob

freddybob New Member

Hey FilthyJack, I'm trying to download this but the links don't seem to be working, could you upload it somewhere else?

7. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

I would also like an update on the link. I'm really curious to start playing and testing this tool!

8. Darq

Darq New Member

Can somebody provide a new download? I would be a waste if such a wonderous tool could not be used :/

9. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

10. Darq

Darq New Member

Thank you Xayvong. I tried the download some days ago but it didn't worked but now it did.

11. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

After spending about 5 hours with this tool, here's some observations.

Criticisms:

Most important thing missing is the full customization for scripts through the weapon/armor/item directly. Qtscribe allows for using scripts on items with changeable values for the counters which make easy customization for special magic items.

The most common example is what you see on 8069, Wield on/off scripts 28012/28013, then with the 4 counters and 32 flag bits. Through this, using qtscribe you can just make the counters 0/effect amount/effect id number/0, and you have a nice and easy magic item with an effect from effect.mes.

If you could get this going on Arcanum Factory it would be amazing. Especially if you didn't limit the counters to 0-255 like Qtscribe does, which limits easily adding effect beyond 255 from effect.mes.

I've uploaded qtscribe here http://www.filedropper.com/qtscribe08 so you can see what I mean.

This does NOT mean you can't make special magic items using scripts with Arcanum Factory, it just means you have to make it reference a custom script and then go make that custom script separately yourself. Just extra work, not impossible or anything.

The other main thing I would say is no XP compatibility. I actually am doing a lot of the Arcanum work on my xp machine because most of the old editing programs won't work on 64 bit OS. But, if I have to switch back and forth to use your tool, it's still worth it.

You don't tell how certain things work which modders who aren't only using your tool absolutely need to know. How your program overwrites game data when it applies the changes is really necessary information so we know how not to lose our work and how to combine what we've done by hand with what we used Arcanum Factory for. In the readme or something explain what's going on during 'apply directly to arcanum' or when the package installs, and how to combine changes made with Arc Fact with already customized game files.

The only other major criticism is it doesn't seem to allow the direct editing of a lot of the original arcanum content. It does for weapons and armor, looks like schematics too (all of which will be what most people want to mess with anyway), but it would be nice to do the same for other items/descriptions etc.

There are some other minor things:

If setup fails due to problems with arcanum.exe location you have to ctrl+alt+delete because there's no cancel button.

No way to move items up or down on inventory lists.

If I remember any of the other minor things I'll let you know.

No one should take all this to think that this is somehow a bad tool. Exactly the opposite, these are the flaws in what is an absolutely magnificent program.

So, here are the best of the many great things about it.

Custom mod installer. Awesome for all of us who want to mod arcanum but have zero idea how to code an executable to install it. Makes any mod infinitely more user friendly, and also displays a readme info box.

Another great addition is all the tooltips with explanations for the field being changed. They're everywhere and save the need for personal experimentation when the name for flags or stats aren't obvious.

The editors are all extremely complete, allowing you to change pretty much everything possible. Art, stats, flags, damages, bonuses, spells/effects directly associated, etc. A particular advantage over Qtscribe is the ability to change how an item counts for crafting when used as a schematic component (tech field and expertise required). Qtscribe doesn't change art too, which is huge.

The templates you included are nice as well, and I think it will really make things easy for the people who aren't familiar with what most items need to function as they should.

You even include some of your own favorite utilities from others, which is nice. The artview tool works fully with Arcanum Factory's ability to import the item art made.

Overall this is the best thing ever for creating new content. It creates new protos, lets you decide what they look like, and gives ways to put them into the game. It's all very easy to use and well done. I made a new sword, made new art for it, and got it into the Shrouded Hills general store.

When I figure out how to get the pure blue art mask going, and combine Arc Fact work with my own, I'll be good to go.

Everyone who mods arcanum should use this thing, and we all owe Jack for this wonderful contribution.

12. Szarznorz Szoor

Szarznorz Szoor New Member

Hello, is there any progress on making it work under Wine? I'm looking forward to modding and playing Arcanum.

13. FilthyJack

Hello,

I've been working on the new version for some time but I guess I should release the XP/Wine fix so here we go, the first message has been updated with a link to the 1.1 beta, which is just a hotfix and a list of upcoming features and fixes.

I have tested the fixed version with 7, XP , Ubuntu+Wine and Ubuntu+Vbox XP , if you have any problem or bug please let me know. I hope Szarznorz and others will also be able to give it a try and have fun!

XP/Wine compatibility:
    This comes from a stupid programming mistake, the fix is simple but I thought I would release some new features while I was at it, but I should give the fixed version first, you never know how long a new version will take.

Script counters/flags:
    Oh my, the short answer is: I guess I've been too lazy, I assumed nobody would ever need to use script counters/flags and didn't want to clutter the UI but it is already here. The long story is I have now almost completed a custom effect editor for each item, allowing the use of new effects and automatically assigning them to wieldOn/Off attach point.

Quick Preview:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    But you will still be able to manually reference any script number (ID) and use counters/flags as you see fit, it just provides a more customizable and user-friendly alternative. On a side note I'm affraid counters are limited to 0-255 by nature, their programming size is that of byte which is a number between 0-255 max.

Overwriting Warning:
    I apology for any problem you may have had with this, I assumed the install procedure implied a fresh install w/o any other mods, but I have added a message before you "Apply" and changed the readme to be clear about backup (also added a list of game files used by factory).

Game Files Editing:
    The only items that can be edited directly are food/scrolls, I will unlock the raw open/save option in the editor. I'm sorry but the factory doesn't support npcs/facades yet. Support for custom backgrounds/effects/writtens is on the way tho.

Ctrl-alt-del problem: I'll do something about it, I know where it comes from.
    Move up/down inventory lists: If you're talking about the inventories/shops list then sure, it will be added.

The blue mask: The one in the Factory interface? (on purpose) or the one in-game when you've imported the .ART? I'm no expert on bmp art, all I know is I was able to extract an already existing bmp from game art (artview) modify it with the gimp and insert it inside a copy of the original .ART with a new name, I kept the color depth and blue or whatever color mask it had, reverted it with bmp8->bmp6 (artview menu) and it was looking fine and transparent in-game everytime.

I'm also working on one big way to handle extra content, open/save different projects, merge content etc, but this may take some time, when I figure out something I'll code it fast.

Thank you very much Leonidus, this is really helpful and I hope it will be as user friendly as it can while allowing complete control so I really appreciate the help and support.

*Tech Info (will be totally outdated when the new version comes), just in case you really need this now:
    You will need to backup your original data\ folder and the Arcanum.PATCH5 file if you had some of your own work or external mods in there. The factory works best with a fresh copy of the game + both patches unless you know exactly what you are doing.

So basically:

-You have to import your external content to both ArcanumFactory\Conf\Pack\Full and/or ArcanumFactory\Packages\modname\data, creating the proper sub folder structure if needed. Treating these like the original Arcanum\data folder.
    -Any conflicting file inside Arcanum\data is overwritten when 'applying' or installing a mod.
    -External content other than protos will not be uninstalled properly by the mod installer.
    -Facrory will auto-patch/restore Arcanum.exe (and world ed) to increase protos/effects ranges.
    -Currently the only way to manage different Factory projects is to extract 2 clean ArcanumFactory folders and to work on them separately, also a package cannot be reverted to source yet.

The main goal was to make it work with a fresh game install, now I can produce a more complete and refined version, thanks for the in-depth review ;) It will get rid of these problems by allowing a single 'import external content' action.

14. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

Just again want to say thanks and you're a fuckin hero. Well done.

15. FilthyJack

Re: Modding Tool: Arcanum Factory (XP/Wine Fix)

Alright, I have completed the new version of Arcanum Factory (1.2) .

It isn't compatible with previous versions because of the huge list of bug fixes and new features. (I might release a quick import tool later if ppl really need).

If you have anything to suggest, report or comment on, then please do it, I'll be glad to fix any bug you report or answer your questions. I think/hope I have adressed all the bugs and flaws mentionned by Leonidus, these were all fair points and well spotted, thanks again.

Also the links in this thread for Arcanum Factory will be up until 05-2016, I will try to ask the Admins if they can update the link in the Downloads section as well.

The first message has been edited.

ChangeLog:
    New Features:

-Increased maximum numbers of new items, descriptions and containers.
    -Incredibly Reduced loading time for most editors (you'll see what I mean with the schematics editor)
    -Backgrounds Editor (use effects, custom inventory/gold etc)
    -Import Portraits directly from any bmp/png/gif.
    -Effects Editor
    -Auto assign effects to your items (up to 4)
    -Improved Items Editor (access to scripts, light flag for torches, raw open/save)
    -Improved Container Editor (set gold amount, change titles and use up to 400 new inventories for worlded)
    -Art Editor (supporting gif/png/bmp, transparency, creating/extracting art, only facades and fonts are not supported)
    -Art Editor includes a Gif Maker tool to merge your animation frames/palettes if needed.
    -Access to scripts counters and flags for all items
    -Added 'Light' Flag which will make your item emit light like the miner's helmet
    -Import scripts/dialogs/game protos directly (game protos replacements need to be imported)
    -Simplified Conf folder with the .mes files in case advanced modders want to edit them by hand
    -You can now simply drag and drop items in container/bg/inventory lists to sort them manually

Bug Fixes:

-Fixed XP/Linux compatibility
    -Fixed compatibility issue with UAP, now Factory requires 'UAP Extra Content' box ticked when installing UAP
    -Fixed a fair number of coding mistakes (non lethal) but as you will see it enhances the speed and interface a lot
    -Fixed PackInstaller to properly install and uninstall everything you have in your package
    -Fixed a problem loading multiline mes entries, you can now use line breaks in descriptions (BG/Schematics)
    -Fixed Setup bug not allowing you to exit if arcanum path setup fails
    -Fixed a bug when you restore arcanum content and then directly load schematics or containers (no descriptions would appear)
    ToDo List :
    -Npc/Follower maker (with ways to make them pop at the desired location in arcanum campain)
    -Scenery Items Editor (animated scenery objects like lights or chests)
    -Improve the art editor a lil bit
    -Create a Demo Mod with some ideas I've had like forever
    Btw Leonidus: You might be wondering how the hell Factory assigns 4 effects (higher than 255) to an item, and the answer is a pair of custom scripts I made, the scripts will use the values (if not 0) of counters + (255* number of flags). If you associate 8 flags per counter it gives you up to 4 effects with IDs ranging from 50 to 2295. You can have up to 2k effects in factory 1.2. Hope this helps, cheers!

16. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

17. Nataku

Nataku Member

Re: Modding Tool: Arcanum Factory 1.2 (New Version)

Just a perfect work !
    Really easy to use (once I remembered how to add protos).

The only thing I didn't understood is why I couldn't see a "survey" (a "look" ? I don't know how to say it :dead: ) of the new arts. I replace the item_ground, Item_inven and Item_paper on the "Conf" folder but I didn't find any place for the .art files.
    But it really doesn't matter at all :booze:

Thanks for you works, it will really really help me from now on. 0:)

EDIT: I noticed it changes automatically Arcanum.exe, this is perfect for me because I'm really not skillful with a HewEditor (I just used one once).

18. FilthyJack

Hey Nataku,

Si tu veux parler francais ca sera peut-etre plus facile, j'ai pas trop compris ce que tu voulais faire avec le conf folder, tu voudrais les modifier pour ajouter ta version de ces fichiers?
    Tu n'arrive pas a voir un apercu des nouveaux art dans l'interface?

Si tu veux ajouter tes propres .art dans Factory, ne surtout pas remplacer les fichier item_*.mes, ils contiennent des entree pour les nouveaux art, si tu les remplace par les tiens, tu perds la possibilité de mettre des nouveaux art.

Il faudrait juste remplacer tes entree dans ces fichiers (par ex: juste la ligne 305,306) et dans un second temps placer tes .art dans ArcanumFactory\Factory\Pack\Current\Art\item. Mais tu aurais plus vite fait de te servir du menu 'New Art Set' pour eviter tout probleme. Si tu as un doute ou quoi que ce soit n'hésite pas a demander ;)

*And yes you don't have to worry about patching exe or manually editing any kind of file, it does all the tedious work for you ;)

19. Nataku

Nataku Member

Merveilleux, moi qui tente lamentablement de parler anglais... :D
    Okay, je remplacerai les entrées dans les fichiers items***.mes

En effet, en fait je n'ai pas d'apperçu des nouveaux arts. Cependant, j'ai déjà tenté d'insérer les arts dans ArcanumFactory\Factory\Pack\Current\Art\item mais cela n'a rien changé.
    Le problème de l'option new art : j'ai bien sûr jeté un oeil mais cela aggrandit la place prise dans l'inventaire (sauf si l'apperçu de la grille ne correspond pas vraiment à celle de l'inventaire). Mais comme je l'ai dit (tenté de le dire), ce n'est absolument pas un problème puisque je peux quand même sélectionner les nouveaux arts.

Autre chose, les generics ne trouvent des arts que jusqu'à 7200, ce qui n'est pas grave puisque du coup j'ai inséré mon art dans les foods (c'est juste que c'est bizzare de ne pas pouvoir lire plus d'arts de generic).

Enfin, du coup j'ai une question qui m'intéresse particulièrement : est-qu'il y a un moyen de rajouter de nouveaux arts d'armes ? Je veux dire, le gros problème des ats est qu'ils ont été limités pour les armes à 20 par catégorie d'armes. Si l'on tente de modifier sous l'éditeur une arme pour lui donner un art de generic, on ne peut plus la porter. C'est vraiment vraiment vraiment dommage je trouve car j'aurai bien rajouté des tas d'arts un peu débiles (batte de base-ball, taser, ...) dans arcanum ainsi que des art plus sérieux mais je n'ai pas la place. Une solution ?

Merci et, encore une fois, félicitations pour cet outil ultra-pratique.
    (Btw, si tu veux jouer à CrossRoad, la démo française propose déjà facile plus de 12 heures de jeu. Tu pourrais constater ce à quoi ) servi une partie de ton travail :thumbup: )

20. FilthyJack

French:
    Alors, premierement CrossRoad a l'air vraiment cool, comme je suis en plein milieu du developpement de factory j'ai pas eu le temps d'essayer encore mais j'ai évidemment repéré direct ton post et me ferais un plaisir de le tester et de commenter des que j'ai un peu de temps :)

Pour Factory il semble que tu aies directement mis le doigt sur la partie la plus sensible, le nombre maximum d'art, le probleme avec arcanum c'est que les objets sont classés (catégorie) par numero d'art, un truc 7000+ c obligé un generic etc. Je suis justement en train de voir si il ya moyen d'en mettre plus. Autrement pour les .art c dans ArcanumFactory\Factory\Pack\Current\art\item (ca sera packé dans Arcanum.PATCH5) et pour l'apercu dans Factory tu dois mettre le BMP de ton art dans ArcanumFactory\Factory\Conf\Pics (ground/paper/inven), il doit avoir le meme nom que le .art en ajoutant _0_0_0.bmp (donc par ex: mon_art.art et mon_art_0_0_0.bmp).

Si tu ajoute une ligne dans un des .mes il ne sera peut-etre pas accessible dans factory par exemple ceux que tu ajoute apres le maximum autorisé pour les generic n'apparaissent pas.

Et non c n'aggrandit pas la place dans l'inventaire, la grille est correcte mais elle n'est pas alignée, c'est juste pour l'echelle a peu pret et tester la transparence, ca sera bien positionné dans le jeux. Et l'option New Art Set ne fait que selectionner un .art et un .bmp existant pour faire tout ce que je viens de dire automatiquement.
    To sum it up in English:

*The Art Editor displays an inventory grid , your items will be properly aligned in the real inventory window, it is just a preview to see the transparency on a dark background. (I will try to make it fit like in real inventory to avoid confusion)

*And you should use the New Art Set option to import your art, manually editing the .mes files isn't recommended.

*I'll have to work on importing more Art as well.

Our Host!