Working on Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Crypton, May 22, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

Hi everybody.

I'm new here ;) I was playing a Arcanum when it was released online,then after few years it was working too,but now when I tried to play it again (after 3 years) nobody was online ... really nobody.

Whats happened to this great game ? Why nobody plays it ? Thats question of the year... hh.

So I decided to create a dedicated server,I know it will be hard but only in reversing and getting infomations about sent packets and so on... I'm programming for about 8 years,so it wont be problem in to create dedicated server is programming way.

Do anybody want to join me ? I mean somebody whos know reverse engeneering,hacking packets and so on ?

I'm thinking also about increasing server players count... to 32 if it will be possible.

So if anybody want to join me,or if you have any tips or hints,just write me pm or post a message to this topic.

DAY1:

Okey,today I found how client (Arcanum game) comunicate with server and where server is located and which ip adresses are used.ยง

I found out that game is still sending packets (http) to flipside.com,which is dead too... also there is page with modb message (message of the day ?) is moved to another server,so it needs to be modified in exe too.

more info will be posted later...

2. hellriot

hellriot New Member

Hey, good luck with making the server, but nobody can join it if you get it to work. Nobody gets online anymore because the internet play don't work. Network does, so if you use hamachi you can play with other people. Go to this link and do exactly what wayne-scales says to. I got it to work and me and a friend play every now and then.

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/view ... hp?t=14481

If you make your own group, can you post it here so I can join? I'd like to play with more people.

3. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Wow! I actually made a difference in the forums!

4. Crypton

Crypton Member

You meant that this forum is dead ? I must say that I stopped to work on server since I started working on resolution patch... after that I'll continue in work... hopefully I'll succeed

5. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

The forum's not dead, Crypton. We just lost hope on multiplayer a while ago, and are now "waking up" again.

6. wayne-scales

Multiplayer would have to be majorly re-worked before it is deemed playable. I'm sorry I even posted that topic.

7. team a

team a New Member

Vormantown worked fine once you got it to run, though, didn't it?

8. wayne-scales

Think of it like playing Single Player but with more players than yourself. I didn't really try hard, but as far as I could tell, there seemed to be no way to play co-operatively. I could be very wrong as I haven't tested it thoroughly, but from what I saw, and from feedback here, no dice.

9. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Well that's probably because multiplayer wasn't ever finished, or maybe it was intended that way so there'd be a bit of realism to the campaign. Betrayal adds an interesting gameplay mechanic. Or, do you mean that you each had to gather quests and finish them on your own, while traveling together?

10. team a

team a New Member

I spent a lot of time looking through Vormantown, although I've never played it in multiplayer, not even on LAN. Unlike every other module I've ever seen, Vormantown keeps track of multiple players. For example, if one PC talks to Shackleford, then la second starts talking to Shackleford for the first time, SHackleford will still introduce himself to the second player, unlike in the Arcanum module, where all players are treated as the same person. Also, I believe that everyone can accept quests, but after someone completes one, the game doesn't give that quest a second time when another player comes along.

11. Crypton

Crypton Member

Thats good to know that somebody still wants to play Arcanum via multiplayer ;) so my work will not be wasted...

I found out that sierra still providing a server for "hosting" game,you may create game and it will be registered at sierra servers,the problem why nobody can connects may be because of redirecting,master servers seems like to be moved to another ip address (like modb).

I'll investigate it later,so stay tuned for more info...

Our Host!