Unofficial Arcanum Patch: Bug Reporting

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Combat music is the backround music in the Wheel Clan. I don't think this was the case before UAP.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Rado,

A nice bug report, thank you. However, I'd like to note that increasing your IN (above 4) when you have already taken a quest may break the game, because dummies are often given different/simplified versions of quests. Also, reporting line numbers will speed up the process of finding and fixing bugs.

It's the other way round actually. Combat music was added very late in the development and they never recorded a unique track for it, so they just copied the dwarven track. The dwarven music is used in the endings slides as well.

3. Rado

Rado New Member

Okay, I'll try to play with line number next time.

In the meanwhile, there's a gltiched dialogue on entering Kintara (I'm sorry, i'm getting used to the names my character is using - the good Elf town). I can only answer (Me kill all or Me leave, not a quote) and no message is shown. In other words, I don't know what I'm answering to.

Once more, thanks for your effort.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've checked the whole dialog and script and such bug shouldn't be possible. Perhaps you're getting some graphical glitches (you mentioned a mouse cursor related problem earlier). Try running the game in the safe mode (via a shortcut in your Start Menu, or by adding '-no3d' command line argument to your shortcut directly).

5. Roller

Roller New Member

Sword of Defence sais +15 AC, but gives +30 AC.

6. Rado

Rado New Member

Sorry to waste your time. I've checked in safe mode and it still hapenned, but it turned out the elf guardian was just very eager to speak and said his thing while miles away from me. That's why I never saw what he was saying (I had to scroll a good bit).

Once again, I apologize.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Looks like it's a new engine bug. The effects' system gives you doubled number of AC, e.g. "ac +1" actually results in +2 AC. I'll look into it and see what I can do, I haven't done much research on the effects yet.

8. Roller

Roller New Member

Drog Black Tooth
    So far i have only noticed it with a SoD. Mechanized, magical or regular armor pieces all appear to work(all i have), also ring of protection works. Probably im not understanding what an effect is, since defence on a sword is a pretty unusual combination. (or it is not displayed)

Also funny is that the full AC bonus still applies even if not meeting the MSR, but this is probably by design.

9. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed much in the way of bugs yet, but I have noticed my game has slowed down significantly with this UAP as opposed to older versions.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I have found one I think. I'm in the boil working for Pollock. He's having me kill Maug. The entrance to Maug's hideout says it is unlocked, but I can't open the doors. I have tried the unlocking cantrip scroll Pollock gave me but it still won't let me go through the doors. I need to attack them but if I do I'm stuck in combat for the next 3 rooms regardless of what I do, even running all the way back to the bridge connecting Tarant to the boil doesn't seem to get me out of combat mode.

10. Rado

Rado New Member

I have killed Magnus in Tarant (he never joined me), took the bracelet but no the book.

As I left town, halfway to Shrouded Hills, Magus disembodied voice started hassling me about taking something (plural). I told him I will keep whatever upset him so and that was the end of it.

EDIT:

According to the following thread:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 4fb71cf61f

...there is an ending for both Gilbert Bates and Appleby being dead (7). However, even though I did so, my ending assumed that Appleby is alive (with a newspaper announcing his death in my inventory ;)). Someone else here on the forums had the same issue, although I'm not sure if that person played with the patch.

11. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

I've killed both Appleby and Bates and the ending was about Bates' death and how Appleby couldn't supply everyone with steam engines.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The current version doesn't have anything that might decrease performance.

Those doors check for Milo, the guard in front of them. You can't get in if you don't have the permission/Milo is alive.

Fixed, the ending is now available.

13. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Milo is dead but I still can't enter without breaking down the doors.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ah, I see, there's another possibility. If Milo's dead and his body has already decayed there's no way to open the doors. I''ll fix this.

15. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

A picture is worth a thousand words, or something like that.

[​IMG]

16. Rado

Rado New Member

I have tried doing this with dialogue numbers but was as confused as my character as to what should I write down in this particular case.

I have found Nasrudin (by exploring, always a bad thing for quest stability) after getting the Vendigroth device. He told me I'm really evil but I can redeem myself by killing some monster that takes two hits to kill. I did so and he told me that he will banish me to the void after I meet him at the ring. Okay.

I talked him up again and I didn't know who he was (still a dummy), so he repeated his original "upon first meeting" spiel.

However, it worked like that only once. Afterwards, every time I talked to him it made sense.

[SIDENOTE: When I reached the ring, K'an H'ua was dead next to Nasrudin. Does that always happen or only if I'm to meet both of them? If it's the latter, super cool!]

I don't have a save anywhere near, but I wasn't able to give the train to the dwarf that wants his family heirloom in the White Clan cave. I'm okay with this, since my character was probably too dumb to make the connection, but perhaps it wasn't supposed to play out like this, especially since I got the quest in the first place.

EDIT: Almost certainly not a bug, but is there any way to enter the pit in which Mr. Underhill is held after, uhm, killing all the guards?

EDIT 2: I don't want to question your judgement, but would it be possible (and make sense) to add the god slides and the "righteous path" one after the endings but before the "uncertain future" narration? I'm sure you have better knowledge on how it's supposed to work, but in my opinion, what I described would be more fair to the player. Right now, the god endings seem incomplete because of how brief they are.

It's also a bit weird that you can choose the righteous path with -100 alignment at the end and be revered as a hero, but the conversation line is there, so I guess that's how it was meant to be.

The more I think of it, the more it seems to me that's why the bonus endings were cut. It just makes no sense for an evil character to be an example for people of Arcanum (in righteous path, good god and silent god endings) and to make it right, much additional work would have to be put in this part. I guess they had little time and decided to just get rid of it altogether.

Of course, the fact you restored these endings is fantastic and for the thousandth time, you have my heartfelt thanks.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The line number of the last line you took could help.

Nasrudin kills him. And you can actually ask Nasrudin about the corpse.

It should work. Although, I can't tell you what you did wrong, since you didn't provide line numbers.

The guard respawns the next day.

I didn't add anything myself, Kerghan's dialog has always been this way. You could always choose the extra endings, although they didn't work because the checks in the ending script were messed up.

18. Rado

Rado New Member

I figured that much and I'm actually very glad that's the approach you have taken. There are patches for other game that I don't bother with because for the most part they are untrue to the original inent.

When I've said the choices don't make much sense, it was more of a rant than anything else.

The only thing I was really wondering about is if they are supposed to play solo or in tandem with the other slides.

Never found him again.

It's a moot point, though, since I'm an Enemy of Dernholm. He wouldn't talk with me anyway, would he?

I know, I asked him. What I was asking about is if he would appear dead at the circle if I didn't make arrangements with him earlier on. In my game, both K'an Hua and Nasrudin offered to banish me to the Void.

Would K'an Hua be there if I didn't talk to him? Just curious.

Will do, but I'm going to get fired if I check this now, especially since I saved at a wrong place and will need to get through a dungeon to recreate this situation ;)

That's what I don't get (I mentioned that I'm confused). Should I list all the line numbers that appear when I talk to the dwarf with train in my inventory? I'm not sure if that's what will help you, since these are the exact same choices I had before getting the toy.

EDIT:

Consider me fired:

It goes like this (chosen options are bold):

At this point, I went and killed (or "kilt") Borogath. So, another conversation with Nasrudin goes like this:

The conversation ends here.

When I talk to Nasrudin again, it starts with [5]. I choose all the same options. When I get to

[196] branches off into [577] and after that again goes to

The conversation eventually ends after...

...as earlier.

I can repeat that as long as I want.

Choosing [680] seems to break the loop, although it may be related to other options as well. Hope that helps.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tollo Underhill is held in the Pits of Dernholm. He's not in Caladon. There's another way to enter the Pits, though. Near the general store there's a huge boulder to the left (behind the building, after you cross the river). Go north from that boulder (up and left in isometric), eventually you will find the back door (stairs surrounded by trees).

No, he wouldn't.

Here's how it should work. You first take line 8, then you can give him the toy by choosing line 105, this line has the same requirements as the normal intelligence line, so there shouldn't be a problem. You just need to have his quest and the toy.

20. Rado

Rado New Member

I'm sorry, what I meant was Dernholm - I actually edited the post above hoping I'd beat you to it (I also described the Nasrudin bug in greater detail there).

I've tried a few more times at different hours and the guy is still nowhere near the pits. That's not a problem if there's another way in, though.

For example, the guy that makes the spectacles always respawns and is not affected by my reputation. This is fantastic, since there's no way to get stuck in the game (other than misplacing important items). If there is another route to enter the pits, I actually see no reason for the guard to respawn at all.

EDIT:

I have no idea what I did wrong with the toy quest - it works. Once again, sorry to bother you.

But hey, I have noticed that Loghaire doesn't have dying animation. At first I thought it was just a one-time glitch, but as I replayed that part now to get to the toy dwarf, it hapenned again. And again and again. He just freezes.

Also, as a dummy, I can't tell Loghaire's son that I killed his father, but I guess that's not a big deal and the option might have never been there.

I think I should add that I really appreciate your patience.

Our Host!