The music topic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yuki, Apr 2, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

There, I did it.

I mostly created this topic to showcase my unique style of music (described as alternative alternative), of course, the Texas blues.

It is 'alternative alternative', because... Well, did you EVER see a 16 year old kid listen to the blues?

Oh, I play guitar. And bass. But blues basslines are so boring, so it's mostly metal bass, in that case.

I must also link you to my guitar demo.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OQ0PFZBZ

Whuh? Oh yeah. Tell me about your music and crap. Unless it's Sigur Ros. Then stay the fuck out.

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Be warned if this degrades into a +1 posting of favourite music lists it will be culled.

3. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I recently picked up Scott Weiland's (of Stone Temple Pilots fame) latest solo effort and have yet to take it out of my audio rotation. I find it obnoxious when people suggest their favorite music to others because it usually ends up not hitting home for the suggestee, only wasting his time.

However, Weiland's "Happy" in Galoshes is a sleeper hit and I think would surprise most listeners, even the alternative alternative. The influence of David Bowie is apparent.

For the record, this isn't a +1 favorite music post, merely a promotion.

4. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

I had to listen to Cajon and Big Band during the night sifts on board. It was pretty horrible in the beginning, but I guess my feeling for music was a to mashed up in the end, where I actually enjoyed it a bit. But you can never get fully used to American country music with French lyrics, unless you're born in Louisiana.

5. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Why do you think it's such a special thing for a teenager to listen to blues?

6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I know many boys who've played the guitar in a half-ass manner, and I know many girls who've found it irresistible. And yet I got laid first. Funny that. Anyway, I listen to just about everything. I'm a big fan of rap, as I find it to be great driving music, but I've just about everything else.... from ZZ top to Wes Montgomery. :)

7. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I like Neo-Classical and Rock Opera myself.

9. soviet

soviet New Member

um, is it sick to listen to heavy metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden), opera metal (Nightwish, Within Temptation), russian war music and russian 90's punk (Сектор Газа, Красная Плесень) and some more metal (Ария, Оргия Праведников) in one big randomly shuffled playlist? with 1% anime soundtracks catalyst?

10. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

If said music was illegally downloaded, then yes, you stupid sack of shit.

Thieves are not welcome here.

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I really like Metal, music from the 60's, and Buddy Holly.

12. TheDavisChanger

I'd say it's remarkable for a teenager to listen to blues. I'd rather discover these tidbits by chance as they come up in conversation as opposed to having somebody create a look-how-unique-I-am-thread.

So shameless attention mining makes me sad (-1)
    but uncommon taste in music makes me happy (+1)
    so at least Yuki is breaking even.

On the other hand, Yuki did open up the opportunity for me to pitch the Weiland album, so maybe she's doing alright.

I've only recently heard of Nightwish. What are some other examples of Rock Opera? And Neo-Classical?

13. Transparent Painting

Oh, never though DF would like rap. I'm actually rather surprised by some of our member's music taste. Metal and Rock Opera is pretty common (at least in Sweden), so the fact that it was mentioned wasn't odd, but 60's and blues... Not the largest genres. I usually mention electronic as prefer music genre, but I mostly listen to bitpop. We do actually have a rather large (large as in lot of fans) band in Sweden that played bitpop for a long time, so it's not the smallest of genres. The larger artists comes from the US thou, same with the larger events, so maybe it's not so uncommon there.

14. TheDavisChanger

15. Transparent Painting

16. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Yeah, actually, I've seen many of them. Most kids with musical backgrounds have an appreciation for anything GOOD, even those metalheads you probably see wandering around (the ones who play instruments, not the ones who just don't bathe).

17. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

The Who's rock opera Tommy. It was the first of them all. Actually, anything by The Who should be mandatory listening for anyone with an ounce of love for rock and roll.

As for the blues, or rock blues more precisely, I've yet to hear anyone top The Doors.

18. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I refuse to help 50 Cent buy another Ferrari, or Richard Branson to improve his fucking island. In cases where I know that the artist genuinely benefits from my purchase, then I'm happy to buy it. Actually, I think rap music from major artists is one of the only things I consistently refuse to buy. Oh, and I own everything Nightwish made prior to Tarja's leaving.

Yuki: I've no musical background (other than one year "playing" the drums in middle school), and love almost all music.

p.s: want something a little different? Look up Wes Montgomery. His song "Matchmaker Matchmaker" is awesome. :)

19. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Go download 'U.S.S. Make Shit Up' by Voltaire. He put it online himself, so it's not illegal, and if you're a trekker/trekkie it's fucking awesome. Actually, it's awesome regardless of your feelings on the series.

20. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Right now I'm really enjoying the "Medieval Rock" bands such as Corvus Corax and Qntal.

@ Xaio, Voltaire is great. If you like him then you might like one of the bands that opens for him in the US very often. It's called Ego Likeness

Our Host!