Apps that remove the level cap....

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Narmy, Sep 22, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Narmy

Narmy New Member

Well I'm now a level 41 technologist and I do not think I will have enough points for all the disciplines I want by the time I hit 50. I had a few questions about a level cap remover:

1. Where can I get it and which one (if there is more than one) works the best.

2. What is the cap while using such a program? 100? Infinity?

3. Do you consider such a thing "game breaking"? I've never beaten the game before so I don't know how far I have to go, but it seems I will hit the cap way before I actually finish the game; and yet I don't want to be super powerful or have max in every skill....

2. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I think there's an unlimited level mod in the Downloads section.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The Arcanum universal level cap remover v0.0.1 (available here) is the best one, since it does what it's supposed to do while being simple enough to work with all versions of Arcanum, which means it also works with the UAP installed.

You choose the cap yourself. The maximum is level 127. For some technical reason it can't go any higher.

That question does not have a simple answer. For me, the 50 level cap forced the player to think during every stage of character creation and prevented those characters from becoming uberpowerful and so-comprehensive-that-it-hurts, therefore removing the cap ruins the fun of creating the best possible character with a limited amount of character points. Yet I'm that kind of person who plans ahead how he will spend every single one of the 64 available character points before he even starts the game. You will find both lovers and haters of the level cap remover around here, and both sides will have their arguments (mentioned most efficient usage of character points vs freedom and carefreeness). It's up to you which Side of the Force will you choose.

4. Narmy

Narmy New Member

Hmm, my problem is I didn't really do any planning at all. I started out wanting to do a dwarven gunman, but I added throwing skill for explosives, and I wanted to experiment with just about every technical discipline. I also decided I wanted lockpicking as well so now I am just a mixed class who is running out of CP.

I guess I will just use the patch, cause there were some schematics I really wanted to try.... technology is so fun in this game.

5. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Characters still get uber-powerful if you plan for melee, though. I had a half-elf with no real background one time who developed so much attack damage she did more damage when she dropped her weapons and bitch slapped things.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Is that even possible? I mean of course, there are gountlets that add damage when you attack with nothing more than your fists, but any decent weapon has a better damage that that bonus, while the strenght bonus adds to every kind of unarmed/melee combat.

Nonetheless, melee is indeed overpowered. This is bad when you play melee, since it kills the challenge of the game, but the other hand, it can make the game balanced in a different playthrough - no matter if you are a very powerful mage or such technologist, you can still get your ass kicked if you understimate the power of an experienced warrior.

7. Narmy

Narmy New Member

Melee sounds boring unless you focus on magic aptitude to use enchanted gear more efficiently, or tech aptitude and make your own gear. That's why I don't like the melee allies; they focus all on dodge, melee, strength, and dexterity. :/

8. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

How did YOU know there were "64" character points at the start?? Maybe some previous tryouts?

9. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

You mean you've never had this experience? I thought it was commonplace. I remember it well (even though it must have been three years since then, by now), my half-elf was fighting stuff, doing a fairly decent job, I suppose. Suddenly, the sword breaks, so I make her punch the blue bunny monster with it. I am amazed at the sheer speed of the attacks, and the damage that they are doing.

EDIT: Frank, we know that there are a total of 64 character points because the community here has torn the game to pieces, meticulously examining every detail. It should also be fairly obvious once you reach level 50, since you can just take your default values and look at how much stuff you have above that.

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

What Grakelin said is true. Tha strategy of planning my characters started mostly from the second playthrough when I already was aware of those 64 Cps per game, yet on my first playthrough I noticed the scheme of "Oh, so I get 5 CP and the start, a single CP every level except for levels which are a multiple of 5, for those I get 2 CPs" and figured that if this scheme will continue to the very end, I will have a total of 64 CPs on lvl 50. I wasn't sure if, for example, lvl 50 won't give me 5 CPs or something like that (it would actually make the character creation feel more complete in a way), but with assuming it won't, I planned ahead the second half or so if my character points in the first game.

Can't say that I did experience that. Mostly because I never broke a melee weapon - that is, I reloaded if it happened because of a critical failure or didn't draw it in the first place if I was fighting against golems or such folk.

I may one day try playing a fist-fighting brute just for fun. I know fist attacks are quite quick both in real time and turn based, but judging from parameters I'm doubtful about fists being more powerful than decent weapons. If that were so, I guess the House of Lords would in general praise fists instead of barberian swords/swords of air/whatever one wishes. Not to mention how dangerous weapon-wielding warriors become weaklings when one casts disarm on them, which - I guess - proves something on this subject.

Our Host!