Well, its another dream-weaved topic (Used search. Twice.) with guessing and again dreaming. This is how I would want to see next Arcanum.
First of all, Arcanum 2 in my opinion should be epic
. What I mean with that?
- Well. Continent is too small, it should be much larger world.
- Years passed and same it should look like late Victorian Era, even touchin diesel-punk genre (after all, in Arcanum there was fuel). Maybe it is because of my technological aptitude, but Arcanum could be more steam-punkish than first one.
- I mean, more countries/cities thus more train connections, more zeppelins, more airplanes, more quasi-First World War wars. Prototype steam-powered tanks, automatons serving everywhere on courts, etc.
- You may ask, what about other side of the Arcanum coin - magic? Yes. Magic also exists, powerful and hidden at borders of technological world. Hidden cities with traditions (like Tulia), virgin woods (elves) and quite untouched deserts (both sand and snow ones) and other outlands.
- I mean, victorian way isnt only steamwork. There should be some kind of large country, empire, especially with colonies on far lands. Another cultures based on arabian, indian, american, chinish, african cultures.. Marinistic stories can be amazing. Not necessary ironclad, but just a steamship. You read "Heart of Darkness", you know what I mean.
- Hard (not dirty) steam-punk without pulp heroes. It isnt world of greys, it has many colours. Grey and dirty are only proletariat, workers districts. By the way, XIX century was also time of socialism (when it wasn't viewed badly and changed capytalistic societies for ever). Maybe there should be one country in state of post-revolusion (Tarant was post-revolutional after regicide, but it was viewed as beautiful city).
Technology: GO ON
- This stuff http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/16-stea ... r-another/
- Ray guns, coilguns, steam-stream guns, advanced Tesla-based technology,
- Clock Punk. More clockworks, automatons, golems, spiders, tiny and large, flying and underwater.
- More ancient technology like Vendigroth legacy. This city was rebuilt and this way it can be a capital of new Britain-like empire. Vendigroth wastes again invested with agriculture, train tracks etc. And some mysticism: Think about it. Temple of Sacred Volt where people place sacrifices on upstream altar made of copper. --Bzzztt!-- Cow died and new electricity god is happy to bless city with another month of prosperity. This is still fantasy
and new gods may emerged with new technologies. Gods not of earth, fire and beauty, but another things making human and non-humans life easier. Why not god of electricity
? Anybody living without electricity is like withoud food and water. There is cold, dirt, darkness, illness, boredom, solace and finally death. Electricity is another human god..
- Flying cities? Cities on the oceans floor? I dont know. Maybe it is too much.
- Fin de siecle
Decadentism. Mood of end of century. There is something
about to happen. Everybody feel that. Empire is too large. Small parts shoot off. Far colonies are pushed off by ununderstandable natives with their own thinking (ununderstandable much in the way of Heart of Darkness, technological "civilized" people cannot understand primal nature of human, savage human). The world we know, has to end somehow. In Arcanum setting it may be another turning of the technology-magic wheel.
- Maybe this Empire is past one huge War (like The Great War, IWW) which had to be "the last war in the world and there shall be only peace, prosperity etc."
- Maybe technology existed for too long in apogeum and magic has to come back.
- Distances are shorter, it changes peoples minds much in the way of 20. XX. City, lost identity of masses, automatisation of human life, popculture, too fast, too much. It is beginning and many are afraid of it.
- Of course, not everywhere it is felt so much. Look at the Europe:
- England, France, Germany dictated much of technological achievments other countries. Orient Express was destinated to connect Berlin with Bagdad (think about as if it were true!). And there are lands of my homeland (century-long occcupied Poland). My country in 20. was still rural and agricultural with not large technological aptitude. People didn't feared machines of new world like Germans or Czechs (who wrote dramas, where workers have been replaced hands with machine parts to automatize them into slavery). Our dramatist, Witkacy, written about mental automatization of society then, (he didn't wrote Utopias, but his works were of the first about automatization of society, not only in totalitarian way, but also much in western way. He was afraid of technocratism, technopoly etc
. That should be the way of new Arcanum. Many differences in viewing the world.
- In this technocratic world, we can only escape outside its borders away, away, away. Many traveled across seas, explored unknown lands, met oriental cultures... only to taste another life. And there is no problem to make african-ebony-ivory, arabian glass-and-carpet, indian etc. cultures magical as an alternative for (cold) world of metal.
- Of course, there should be many visionaries and enthusiastics about technology. Visionaries made humanity into next century and conflict on axis magic-technology, still lasts.
My bad, there so few steam-punk rpgs (none but Arcanum) that I want more steam-punk than magical fantasy. Still, magic is cool. Love ya.
How do you feel that vision?