HQ Arcanum Portrait Pack v2

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Crypton, Dec 17, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

Hello,

I've found in that beta content a few original portraits in higher resolution, so I made a pack from them, and decided to share them with you, because I thought that it might be a nice x-mas present, in addition to that beta content restoration pack.

Here is the pack:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bonus:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

You can also download the whole pack:
    -Version 2, with original frames.
    -Version 1, with round corners.

Enjoy!

Edit: Added second version of the pack.

2. DaneKoponen

DaneKoponen Member

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Re: HQ Arcanum Portrait Pack

An impressive find, sir, an impressive find indeed.

Why, I never expected such curly strands there. I wonder if RunAway did.

4. Pixote

Pixote New Member

On the topic of portraits - http://www.civilwarphotos.net/files/usos.htm is an excellent source for 19th black and white photographs, most of these are based on the American Civil War, but amongst the uniformed soldiers, are other images of important Government officials.

Unfortunately they need to be re-scaled and colorized - Photoshop would be the best tool for this. Some of the bearded faces could be used as Dwarfs, Gnomes or Halflings.

[​IMG]

5. Charonte

Charonte Member

Re: HQ Arcanum Portrait Pack

It's more than significantly suprising, dearest muro, that you go to the efoort to change ZeroBot's name to Crypton in each of your quotes.

You do have apoint however, why is he allowed to change his name when the rest if of us are stuck with the moronic crap we think of when we sign up. I should be DrunketFuckwith for ecample, though I imagine I'll regret trolling tomorrow. No matter.

In ancy case, thank you for the extra work (xmas present as you called it) Crypton. sufficed to say you're significantly more motivated than I've ever been,

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

He still uses the "Crypton" nickname back at his official ArcanumAlive website, though, which is why I consider it valid.

Additionally, I met and remembered him as Crypton and that's still his name in my head, even if he did change it. It is probably the same reason why some of us tend to call, say, Xz "Xzbyte" or DarkFool "Silvio" or "Matt".

It would seem I have a respect thing for one's true and original name. Why else would I put the little extra effort in calling Hеllbokos "Hеllbokos" instead of simply allowing the forum to forcibly change it to "Hellbokos".

7. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Nice looking pack here. I was really hoping there'd be the half-elf portrait that I use for my avatar in here, but alas. I always liked that one the best.

8. Crypton

Crypton Member

It was a bad idea to change my nick, it's more confusing than I thought, so I'm gonna change it back, well if DE approves my request :p

Sorry for that. I know that a lot of portraits are missing, but they were also missing in that beta content. Maybe next time, if I another beta builds gets provided to me.

I'm also preparing a new portrait pack, with a original frame.

9. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Can you just post the unmodified files? Without any silly frames.

10. Pixote

Pixote New Member

This is an example of what you can do in Photoshop with just a few colours and a few filters...ideally you would need to paint some highlights into the skin to bring out some of the skins textual qualities.

[​IMG]

At 128x128 pixels.

[​IMG]

11. Crypton

Crypton Member

Looks good, however it really looks like photoshoped, mainly because that watercolor filter, I guess. I already tried to create a action for photoshop to convert any image to arcanum like portrait that would fit perfectly, but I failed, because I was unable to match the colors and painting style of original potraits.

It would be great if someone else manage to do that, to make some script/action to make such potraits.

12. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

It's not bad actually. It'd fit perfectly into a fangame.

13. Crypton

Crypton Member

Update: Just added second version, as promised.

14. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Just remembered something. Funny that there's a portrait for Donn Throg (PGC_DonnT). Many people probably don't know that Donn Throg was originally just a test character, you can see him in various very early screenshots, especially in test maps (but also in Tarant, etc). The half-orc rebel in the final game is simply a reference to that test character.

Also, CreateYourOwn can still be found in the final build.

Some screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Oh, and the default male elf portrait, the one with the long hair!

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Is it the same as the one from the screenshot you provided, namely HOC1 from the final game?

He's a lvl 35 politician when we meet him in the game. He had to gain those levels somehow. Who says it wasn't by digging up sarcophagi, sword fighting undead and visiting plastic surgeons? That would be quite an amusing vision.

What does CreateYourOwn stand for?

17. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

No, it's different.
    http://arcanum.game-alive.com/public/im ... _DonnT.png
    BTW, this piece of artwork was available on Troika's website, IIRC it's just concept art. I just found the file name interesting.

http://arcanum.game-alive.com/public/im ... ourOwn.png
    And this is what it was used for, originally...
    [​IMG]

P.S. I can't open imageshack links.

P.P.S.
    sarcophagi

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I wanted to point out that HOC1 and Donn Throgg from the end slide are completely different, but since we're talking about that pic (didn't notice the name before), the point no longer stands. One could argue that Donn actually could look like that back in his adventure days: wielding a trusty sawn-off shotgun, lacking the fancy hairdo & clothes and having some extra muscle on him.

The concept of Throgg having any "adventure days" at all wouldn't be even as far-fetched as it may seem at first - the Donn Throgg from the final game is a professor of gunsmithy with a maxed out firearms skill. Those aren't exactly the things one learns when he spends his whole life in nothing but politics.

An apt remark, thanks.

19. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

There's no need to rationalize it. Basically, when testing the game, one of the developers thought that "Donn Throg" was a really cool name for a half-orc, so it stuck as the name of the main test character (as in PC, not NPC). Hey, the prototype name list (mes/description.mes) still has some references to this test character:
    Code:
    // Critter Names

{16066}{Donn Throg}
    {16067}{Mage Throg}
    {16068}{Fighter Throg}
    Yeah, looks like there were 3 pre-made Throgs!

Anyway, the developers obviously liked the name, so that's why it was reused in the final game for the half-orc politician. Not the other way around.

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is that treating what Donn Throg as a test character has been through as the in-game Donn Throgg's (interesting how they decided to add a second "g" there) actual past is quite an entertaining approach.

Donn Throgg pillaging ancient tombs while shooting their undead guardians would make one hell of a fanfic, that's for sure.

Our Host!