Elven Arrogance (quoted)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by RunAwayScientist, Mar 13, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Ever played Shadowrun?

2. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

No. But I read one of the Shadowrun novels a long time ago and it seemed like a fun campaign setting. That book featured, among other characters, an elf hacker who dressed like a stereotypical punk rocker. I liked the idea of mixing cyberpunk and fantasy.

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Shadowrun is all kinds of fun. It's cyberpunk/magic, and fits into the arcanum lore well.

My friend made an elf assassin with a customised sniper rifle which could take down a dragon.

4. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I was obsessed with the cyberpunk genre a few years ago. I read a Shadowrun novel and bought hundreds of Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, and NetRunner cards from Ebay. I'd say it is accurate to take the Arcanum world and advance it 300 years to get a feel for the Shadowrun world.

As intriguing as the Shadowrun world is, it still feels somewhat disjointed. Quite honestly, the Arcanum world did a better job of blending the dichotomy of magic and technology. I think Shadowrun lost it by using our Earth as the setting for its universe; I'm too familiar with the laws of my world to believe that what is happening in Shadowrun is plausible. It is as if Arcanum requires a simple suspension of disbelief while Shadowrun demands that it be abandoned altogether.

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

But Shadowrun includes the Awakening of magic, just as Arcanum has its decline. Assuming the magic was absent altogether for those 300 years, then it fits almost seamlessly.

Blending the lore, we could postulate that magic began leaving Arcanum when the last dragon died.

Then it returns with the dragons 21 Dec, 2011. Just you wait and see...

Our Host!