Throw your theories at me.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Constipation, Nov 22, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Constipation

Constipation New Member

What would happen if a top class mage cast the banishment spell...

...WHILE IN THE VOOOID?

Poll unrelated.

What poll? -DF

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

First scenario;
    Mage is killed an a manner similar to the quench life spell. The spell was designed to take the person targeted to the void...if that person is already on the void, they could die.

Second scenario;
    Nothing. Pretty lights, and...poof. No change of scenery.

Third scenario;
    Back to Arcanum.

Fourth scenario;
    The mage is taken to where all souls go when their body dies, but the mage remains alive. This could make another Kerghan, but I don't think he had to cast banishment on himself to get to the sea of mirrored glass.

3. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Hm. In all probability, nothing would happen. No lights, no magic, no nothing.

But if something would actually happen, I figure the spell would work as a sort of teleport, transporting the target to the exact place where he first appeared in the Void. That's what the spell is, in essance: an extremely advanced form of teleport.

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'm thinking Wolfsbane's second suggestion is far more likely to be the case. You aren't actually "banishing" people, you're just teleporting them to a place they can't return from.

Thought: Is The Void a gigantic allegory for Purgatory/Hell, and this entire game is a giant religious message?

6. Constipation

Constipation New Member

When Nasrudin tells you to go to Hell, boy does he mean it.

Needless to say, the tortured soul of my beloved, unfairly murdered poll will haunt you to the end of your days.

7. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

There are many more interesting things intent upon haunting me. It'll have to wait in line.

8. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

First scenario: Nothing will happen, because it was casted on a human being.

Second scenario: Caster disappears and then reappears on the same spot, because the caster is already 'banished'.

Third scenario: There will be an explosion and 1) a rift will appear 2) has strange side-effects that will change the caster and/or the one that succembed to the effects of the 'banishment spell'.

9. Constipation

Constipation New Member

By all means, do elaborate on this causality.

10. Arthgon

Yes. I presumed that the 'banishment spell' were used to unsummon creatures, (I never used this spell) but now I am not that sure that it can be used on already existing creatures.

11. Constipation

Constipation New Member

You should play Arcanum sometime, it's a really fun game.

12. symban

symban New Member

that was harsh to say.. yet I totally agree with you!

Arthgon, it seems like someone banished your Arcanum lore!

13. Arthgon

Huh? So if I never used this particular spell in the entire game I do not have any Arcanum Lore? I never used this spell, because I did not find it that usefull. That means that I do have some Arcanum Lore, but I am not a show-off.

Yes. I really should play it again, but I have a play a lot of other games that I need to play as well. (IE Diablo II with Add-on, Dragons of Flame, Legend of Blacksilver, etc.) Yes. Choices are really hard. (sometimes)

14. symban

symban New Member

erm...
    banishment is not a spell available neither to you nor your followers. It was the spell *banished into the void* those whom considered to be very dangerous to be killed (incase they are resurrected in the future generations). It was cast only five(right?) times in the age of Elven Council by the mage's council.

main plot is formed around the banishments, thats why I said what I said.

15. Arthgon

Ooops. Then it is really the time for me to refresh my Arcanum Lore.

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

You can bet that Kerghan will have tried to banish himself at some point.

While roleplaying Kerghan the Worst, I realised what a pioneering hexperimental scientist the Terrible was. He even developed technological zombies. Niice.

Also, on that note,
    Doesn't his personal laboratory in the Stone Clan Mines seem to be of Vendigrothian motif?
    ...Just saying.

17. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I don't think Kerghan knows the banishment spell. Neither does Arronax, methinks.

18. Constipation

Constipation New Member

Nasrudin knows. At least two other members of the council knew. K'an Hua knows. Why wouldn't Arronax and Kerghan know?

Not even the slightest, no. What makes you say otherwise?

19. symban

symban New Member

probably the nature of schematic looking like the Vendigrothian ones? which may be a coincidence of both of them being very old, or belonging to a similar era of technology. But I would not be surprised to see similar points in a laboratory built in the same time of Vendigroth, considering there should be some consistency in leading scientific advancements and the places they are studied.

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I don't see anything Vendigrothian in that lab or that schematic personally, but I too would like to hear what ytzk had in mind.

There were more than five. It was said that many evil being were banished to the Void while only five were mentioned by name. Also, add at least two banishments in recent times.

~ endgame spoilers below + not bothering with more spoiler brackets from this point ~

Perhaps banishment creates a one-way Arcanum-Void gateway and there's no point in doing so in the Void, since while the gate would open, it would be impossible to walk the path to Arcanum from there.

We don't know of any mages knowing the banishment spell ever ending up in the Void. Then again, it is unstated whether or not Arronax and Kerghan have this ability.

I think that if it were that simple, Kerghan (assuming he did not already know the spell), instead of going through all the trouble of finding excuses, banishing clans, building machines and whatnot, would do that which would be much more natural for a mage - use his link with K'an Hua to learn the banishment spell. After all, he is one of the most powerful magickal beings in history, apparently capable of casting magicks no longer accessible to mages in Arcanum. Who if not him would be able to learn it?

Interesting thought. We don't know whether Kerghan knows how to banish or not. Then again, we do know that he is able to manipulate banishment spells cast by others ("I had you banished in front of Arronax's prison", no matter whether it is K'an Hua of Nasrudin casting the spell back in Arcanum), so perhaps he does know it. Perhaps he tried to return to Arcanum with this spell and ending up travelling through the lands of the dead was a complete yet very pleasant surprise.

We don't fully know the relation between Arcanum and the Void, nor the full nature of banishment. It may be a spell that opens a gate between any two of numerous existing worlds/dimensions, and in the game it was always Arcanum->Void because it was the only known variant. Perhaps it is a spell that sends something/someone one level downward (or perhaps upward. Advanced technology, no pass of time, no biological death - maybe the Void was a paradise before it was destroyed?) in a specific chain of worlds. The known chain could be Arcanum->Void->Desolate Lands->Endless Sea. There could be a higher (lower) world that banishes you to Arcanum, with that logic. Treating the Void as a destroyed paradise, the Desolate Lands as a purgatory and the Endless Sea as heaven, that world lower than Arcanum could the hell from which demons come.

One could ask, "if Kerghan is able to travel to the next world in the chain and return (Void->Endless Sea-> Void), why did he not use this skill to return to Arcanum?" Perhaps it was so because he only sent his soul to those next levels and it was easier for a soul to travel backwards. This could be verified by that fact that we may have seen an example of Kerghan's soul travelling backwards to Arcanum as well when he appeared as the Mysterious Apparition.

Our Host!