Time to catch up with things long overdue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Mar 29, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Even if he is a troll, he is not a blatant troll. The only person he seems to successfully frustrate is Wolfsbane, and that seems to be in the select arena of Role Playing. Furthermore...

The only purpose Zanza has ever served at The House is to troll and harass. I daresay that his receiving a custom avatar ahead of the post count prerequisite is due in large part to his banishment-by-troll of Xaio_Caity. The fact that Xaio_Caity may have been a particularly vulnerable goat with an inclination toward butt-hurt should not diminish the fact that Zanza is in fact a troll.

Suffice it to say, that I don't believe him to be dim. I can see how he is often perceived as dim due to the fact that his native language is not English and that he gets by by running his thoughts through an online translator.
    Even if he is dim, I don't understand why this would preclude him from receiving a custom avatar. He has become a fixture at The House and I have been under the impression that this is the primary criterion to satisfy to be considered for a custom avatar.

As a fixture, why not make his avatar something mundane and inconspicuous, like a lamp or an ottoman?
    Considering the case that Arthgon has established himself as dim, why not incorporate that into his avatar? Make him an unlit lamp or a lighting fixture with a burned out bulb. Perhaps a close-up of an electrical outlet with a toddler's pudgy finger poking toward one of the openings would capture his dim essence.

CHANGELOG: "ofter" to "often"

2. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Arthgon isn't a troll. Just a little dumb. Remember that time he admitted to using google translate whenever he posts here?

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

4. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

How on earth is that dumb? Do not think so. I used it, but it only was because I want to make sure that my grammar was correct.

5. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

God I remember when this forum had some standards.

TDC, how many here do you think have English as their native language?

What special case? When you get one you deserve it, and it isn't taken away later on. That would be like giving away a Medal of Honor and then taking it back because the person got old.

6. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Direct translations aren't always grammatically correct.

You just compared an award for military action above and beyond the call of duty to a custom avatar on an esoteric CRPG website. If you want to get down to brass tacks, Arthgon earned his medal.

7. TeresaSwan

TeresaSwan New Member

8. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

As far as I can see, it's 3 votes for Arthgon not having one from people with avatars; more than for any of the current suggestions. Unless someone else with a custom wants to weigh in and cast their vote, it seems like it's pretty much case closed. (As a side note, it seems like Arthgon is making more of an effort with his english now he has been chided for it so much in this thread, no?)

If that's the case, I guess it's back to wobbler (where it was in question whether he should have one too) or to Grakelin where the Pendelberry Gray themed avatar suggestions seemed the most popular. Alternatively, people can continue to argue about strict criteria individuals need to meet in order to get an avatar as it might help things transition more smoothly if a general agreement could be reached - still it seems a bit counter productive and official for assigning avatars on an obscure internet forum.

9. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    My view is that the fact that Arthgon generates such visceral reactions in people is precisely why he deserves a custom avatar. But since Wolfsbane is now against it too, I guess he's not going to get one.

Unless there are some proper suggestions for wobbler or Grakelin, next on the list is TheDavisChanger. I suggest this:

[​IMG]

10. Arthgon

Gross: I'm fully aware of that. That is the reason that I ditched this 'useful program' now. But. At that time I was so what nervous about my English grammar and a lot of things were going on. (Deaths in family, or friends who died and illness.)

All factors that may people think that I dim or a troll, but I'm not. I really improved my grammar, if you compare it how it used to be. And not everyone whose English is not his first language is automatically dim, because some of the times he cannot express himself in this language. I'm actually intelligent, but the language barrier of the English grammar fuck it up.

11. wobbler

12. Arthgon

13. wobbler

14. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    While we're on the subject, I also think that this would be appropriate for TDC. I have no idea why though - it just seems... right.

[​IMG]

15. Constipation

Constipation New Member

> Say you use Google Translate for grammar.
    > People still think you're neither retarded nor trolling.
    > My face when.

16. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm holding with those who say that Arthgon deserves his due to controversy he has sparked.

Suggestion:

17. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I don't care what Amnesty International says, living under a dictatorship can be awesome when the dictator happens to agree with you.

If Arthgon is getting an avatar, then Borat had the most votes, and is eminently suitable, and Jojobobo went to the trouble of cropping it and moving the thumbs around to make it look good:

[​IMG]

Since Sulik also seems like a popular choice, maybe someone could Photoshop a bone through Borat's nose or something? Though his moustache sort of already looks like one.

18. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I came here to post exactly this, but found that ytzk had already done it for me.

Mayhaps due to the dissension and the fact that several have already been bestowed we can agree to table the discussion for a later date?

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

20. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I consider myself a connoisseur of fine graphs, and I will say that's a very nice graph indeed.

I don't know, not to discredit my own work but I did just do that on paint in 15 minutes or so - if you zoom in you can see the sloppy nature of it. I'm sure someone else could do a better job with proper photo editting software and know-how (I have downloaded GIMP myself recently, but I'm damned if I know how to use it correctly yet).

Besides, I quite like DE's new title and the idea for modified Sulik. Personally I think adding Borat's hair to Sulik would look quite special, maybe his moustache too but that would obscure his bone piercing.

EDIT: Actually I pissed around with GIMP for about quarter of an hour (it seems quite straight forawrd to use) and came up with this - I know you can see Borat's skin around his moustache but I think that adds comical cheesiness to the image (also I'm lazy):

[​IMG]

I went for a white background as images with Sulik in crop very close to his head and obviously with adding extra hair this extends the image past the edge of the Fallout 2 shack background (and I don't have the capabilities to mock up a similar background in the edges), this image could easily be added to some different generic background instead though if white is a bit too glaring. Also damn, I didn't read Philes post thoroughly; if people want to postpone discussion of Arthgon's avatar then go ahead, this was just a small idea.

Our Host!