Official T-A Announcement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jinxed, Apr 25, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

RECRUITMENT IS UNDERWAY

There is already 1 mod position taken (wink) you'll know soon enough who it is.

1. Committed news writers - Lets get it before they do.

2. A PHP coder would be nice in case something goes terribly wrong on the forum.

*WARNING*

I need to know who you are, whether from the Fallout community or the Arcanum community. Don't expect me to trust someone with 5 posts or a spammer who has 200+ posts over a week.

Post your applications here, or email me Jinxed@poczta.fm (although I'm not sure we'll get any)

Well, that's it. If those positions are filled, we will cover Greyhawk.

2. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Does this moderator posision has anything to do with what happened backstabbers sig?

In that case i guess it is Jar who has gotten the job.

3. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

No, that would be a negative.

Although I would welcome Jarinor on another position. Content/news writer.

4. gamenut

gamenut New Member

5. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

That isn't what's important here.

Covering a new game = bigger fanbase

Bigger fanbase = bigger and more lively forum

A more lively forum = teh winnar!

And everyone is happy for accomplishing something.

6. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

I want everyone to know how serious this is. I didn't at first, and I got a post deleted for it. This forum seems to be living on borrowed time. The regulars are, well, not regulars anymore with the exception of me, Jar, and mrnobodie. Most everyone else has moved on to bigger and better things. Or maybe just moved on. So anyone who wants this thing to continue, pitch in and help out. Our Fearless Leader (a phrase referring to Calis, coined by Sheriff Fatman) has left. Jinxed is all we have.

7. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

When you say regulars, you seem to be reffering to those people who have 1000+ posts and have been here for almost 2 years. It seems that you're ignoring a lot of newer people who frequent the forum. These people who come around a lot and know what they're talking about are the future of the forum. It seems that Milo, Sheriff Fatman, and the other regulars aren't going to be coming back to save the forum. While those guys are great, if they're not coming back, the future of the forum lies with the people mostly in the 200-500 post range. If these people stay around, I think the forum will survive and produce a new group of regulars. That's not to say that we don't need the regulars we still have around. We definitely still need people like Jinxed, Jar, and you to be around.

I really have no idea what I was trying to say in that post, but I guess that's what I think.

8. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

I'm sorry to have offended you, Demo. I meant no disrespect. You're right, post count doesn't matter. But, this forum is slipping. (Dieing is such a harsh word) It has slowed down sooo much from when I first joined. And I'll admit, I feel a stab of pain in my heart when I think back to the "good ole days" But you are absolutely right. You guys are the future of this forum. I just hope there is a future.

9. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

You didn't offend me. I do see the forum slipping. I remember back to the "good ole days". Back then I had a different account name, and was an annoying little newbie, but it was fun. It is nice when I see an occasional revival of the forum. Once and a while a new person full of energy shows up and everything is alive again. It would be nice to see more energy around here, especially in the Roleplaying Forum.

10. Canis

Canis New Member

Another consequence of the incessant regular/newbie dichotomy that's been pushed lately is that many perfectly qualified "newbies" may not wish to apply for these positions since it may seem to them they're not wanted, having been shunned by the "in-crowd".

Don't mind me. I'm euthanizing my cat tomorrow.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Well, Canis, newbies AREN'T qualified, in some regards. They don't know the people, they don't know the standards, views, etc. That's why the post of moderator should only be given to someone with extensive experience in the forum, who knows the people there, has a reputation for even handedness and all that jazz. Newbies just can't be relied upon to do a good job, because who knows what they're really like?

12. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

Jarinor wrote:

You're right there Jar, but then again, only the regulers know these things... And your ranks counts about five...
    I like the idea of this forum getting new blood, (This place COULD do with an overhaul), As to revive the boards former glory (Which i hear page up and page down about every day), though some of the regulars seems a little erm... harsh ?... I mean, the people who has been here for a year or more, has obiviusly created their own "Code of chivalery", and newbs can't possibly try to fit in with the 345500-post guys...

We don't want the forum to turn into some nazi-deathcamp for newbs, now do we ?

13. Settler

Settler Member

Ummm...although I don't quite know exactly what's going on (from what I can gather we're staying T-A but covering Greyhawk?), I'll volunteer for a news writer, or a mod if you still need one.

As is, I visit T-A daily (though my post count might not show it), and other general gaming sites a fair bit. If you give me some places to check out regularily (or are we in with Troika?), I'd be happy to keep T-A up to date.

Mod-wise: I've been at T-A for quite a while, know everyone here, and I reckon I could keep an eye on the newbies and/or troublemakers without turning despot.

14. terrasnake

terrasnake New Member

No, we dont VerZreV. Although I agree that on some forums that adminship should be given to those with extensive knowledge in the subject ie networking in linux. This is a game forum and such speciality is not required simply an understanding that will maintain the peace.(as if it ever existed.(bad joke I know my attempt at being funny has probably been noted by the admins:()) And lets face it. If they succeed then good for them theyre task has been accomplished.

15. Ferret

Ferret New Member

So Calis left huh? Doesn't he host the forum though? Will he still host the TA site, or will it have to find a new home? And who's paying the bills now? :eek:

I wish I could be of help, but I just don't have the time now to do anything serious 'saving' and I'm definitely not up for a moderators' position right now because of the increased workload. If you'd asked 6 months ago the answer would have been completely different but that's life I guess. Besides, I'm away so much now that I feel I don't know half the people any more.

That and you probably weren't even considering me anyway. Don't you wish Fatman was here right now? :sad:

I'm glad to see some life already creeping back into the place. The active thread count has gone up rather from when I last checked and I'm pleased to see two budding threads in the RP section. I'm actually really inclined to join them both, but I don't think I'll have the time for that either.

I'll try and frequent a bit more regularly from now on though if I can. Just to give a bit of support and keep track of what's going on, but maybe I might find time for those RP threads too somewhere. :)

And congratulations on the moderators' position whoever it is who got the position. :wavey:

16. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

Ok, you should make me a mod. I really don't have to justify that as you're all probably in the middle of building your shrines to me and my spit-in-the-eye-of-God coolness as I type this. But, just say, you've suffered major brain damage or you've been trapped in a coalition fun-camp for the past few days, here is justification and testimony from REAL* people as to why I should be a moderator:

1. Jane Genuine from Glasgow says "Yes, I'd totally vote for octillicus any day, and not just because he's got Sally! [She laughs, but there's the briefest suggestion of a tear in her eye] No, I'd vote for him because he's downright awesome and an awfully kind person who wouldn't hurt my little girl, I just know he wouldn't!"

2. Dr. George Corporeal Writes "Octillicus has completed the course and I see no medical reason why he should not be allowed to hold a position of inconsequential authority for hours at a time"

3. Hubert Nonfigment of the Washbook Glens screams "of course, Oct isn't DANGEROUS, and you'd certainly not REGRET [whimper] having him on your staff, you definitely shouldn't RUN from him. RUNNING AWAY RIGHT NOW definitely would [small scream] not be the right thing to do"

Even celebrities recommend me:

Kate Winslet says "I don't know who you are, or what you want, but if you don't stop following me. I am going to call the police, ok?"

Tom Cruise's agent Writes "Dear octillicus, thank you for your interest in Mr. Cruise's underwear, unfortunately Mr. Cruise does not soil his in quite the way you've specified. I am returning the contents of your last letter and politely request that you discontinue gifts of this nature to Mr. Cruise, thank you"

Mr. T writes "For the sake of the Lord, I am not Mr. T, Mr. T is a character and you need therapy. Please stop writing to me. B. A. B.**"

So, I think you're path is clear. Elect octillicus your moderator today and I promise eight years of wealth, eight years of famine and sixteen years of fun, fun, FUN!

* Real as defined in article 12 of the European convention of actuality

** I am still unsure of what this "B. A. B." acronym means, I can only assume that Mr. T is being held captive by the Bloody Angry Budgerigars, a militant pro-domesticated bird group who want Mr. T to stop communicating with me for some reason.

17. Settler

Settler Member

18. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I'd never apply for a moderator position personally. Administrator is where the fun's at. Handing out special ass-hat avatars, altering people's signatures, whacking on a special little title, that's where the REAL action is at. I'm glad to see the site gain a new purpose though.

You probably want a PHP coder not just for the forum, but for the whole site as well. The front page could do with a major overhaul. Areas for coverage on Greyhawk will need to be added and the whole skew of the site altered from a purely Arcanum focus into a Greyhawk + Arcanum combination.

Worse comes to worse, you could probably make trial runs for newsies. IE: Someone like Octillicus who seems to have brains, but is only new, hence low on the trust and staying factor. If it's possible (depending on how Calis wired this place) and you get no-one else better apply, you could give him the position and see what he does with it.

Actually, while I'm at it, re-working the site so that the news is posted ina news forum like at DaC and NMA is a good idea. I think a PHP module is available for that from the somewhere. Something you can download and plug-in. Or, you could ask Calis for one final favour.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea. Greyhawk is certainly worthy of getting a bit of coverage.

19. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

"and you get no-one else better apply"

Rather a moot point there, Old Chum.

20. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Alrighty, time for a brief update.

I've received a number of emails... Sadly, all of them about modship. Unfotunetly, this isn't what I'm looking for... As stated, the moderator position is already taken. Who is it?

You know her, you love her, it's...

SNOWMANE

TA-DA!! Bada-bing!

I'm going away for a couple of days and it will be her job to keep you people in line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!