Has anyone who had problems gotten the game to run?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Milo, Sep 12, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Milo

Milo New Member

Heyas, first post here.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there who has the "game crashes to desktop" bug has gotten the game to run, and if so, how did they go about fixing the problem?

My game will get past the Sierra and Troika logos, move (briefly) to the "Game Loading" screen and immediately dump me to the desktop.

I've tried most everything I can think of. I updated the firmware on my Kenwood 52x CD-ROM and that got me past the install hang-up. I've updated to the latest SB Live! drivers and nVidia drivers. I've installed the game, uninstalled, and re-installed more than a few times. I've tried running in Safe Mode and tried different patch versions. No luck.:sad:

I have a fairly old comp:
    -PII 400
    -128MB ram
    -TNT2 vid card
    -SB Live value
    -Win98 SE

I've also saved my dxdiag.exe results to a text file and could provide that should it be necessary to help diagnose this problem.

If anyone can offer some suggestions, I'd much appreciate it. I can't wait to play this game and start contributing to this board. I am going to be upgrading my comp soon, so hopefully, if I can't get it to run on this one, I can get it to run on my next one.

Thanks,
    Milo

2. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

Try pressing Control-Alt-Del and killing every single thing on that list with the exception of Explorer, RunDLL, and Em_Exec.

Then launch Arcanum. It may take a while to load the first time, so give it 10 minutes.

After that, you should be fine.

3. Milo

Milo New Member

Thanks for the reply, Saint_Proverbius.

I tried that or something similiar to that and the game still wouldn't work for me. I tried getting rid of everything but Explorer and Systray, no luck. Got rid of Systray, leaving just Explorer running, no luck. Run_DLL and Em_Exec weren't in my Task Manager to begin with, so maybe that's a problem?

4. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Never had the Run_Dll or the Em_Exec but still got Arcanum to work. Oh, well.

5. masCh

masCh New Member

Check the other thread "Arcanum problems"

6. Milo

Milo New Member

Thanks, masCh. I'll try what you suggested in that thread. Hopefully it'll work.

As a note to anyone else having this problem, another possible solution is running the game from a CD burner rather than a CD-ROM. I haven't tried it yet (I don't have a burner yet), but I've read on other boards that it works.

7. Milo

Milo New Member

It's alive! It's ALIVE!!!

Heh, I finally got it to work.

For those of you who may be reading this thread, and are suffering the same problems, there's something else you can try. It worked for me, and so far, the game seems to be running fine.

Go here and install the version 1.2 of the Windows Installer. Then uninstall/reinstall Arcanum.

One of the differences I noticed is that before I upgraded the Installer, the game would zip through the last 4 minutes of the install. I.e, it would prompt me to insert the "play" disk, countdown to 4 minutes, hang for awhile, and then just zip to the end. After I upgraded Windows Installer, the game would actually countdown all the way to completion.

Hopefully this'll help someone else who is having the same problem as I was.

Now, finally (FINALLY!!!) it's time to get down to some playing...

Our Host!