Healing salves bug

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Solaris, Oct 21, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

One of the most annoying things in Arcanum, that I have never seen brought up, is the strange bug that disables healing salves and poison cures all of a sudden. It often happens in dungeons like the BMC. Healing salves seem to work on some level, but on others Jayna has loads of healing salves and poison cures and never uses them (which is why I, a techie, have to beg Dante for major magic healing :x ). When I use healing salves on myself, the used salves disappear, but there is no bule ring around me and nothing is cured. It also happened to me in other dungeons and while fighting the monsters that come out of Liam's portal.
    Did anyone else encounter this bug?
    Did you manage to figure out what causes it and if it is possible to avoid it? (I know that reloading does not work if you saved after this bug had taken effect, but if you leave the dungeon, salves usually start working).
    Does the patch fix this bug?

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

did you try reinstalling the game?

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Yes. I always delete and reinstall the game before playing again as a different character (this way the save files are less likely to get screwed, I think), and it still happened in every single game.

4. Xz

why would that make them less likely to get screwed?

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    That's weird. I've never encountered this bug Solaris - healing salves and other cures have never been a problem. Has got to be your weird Russian version screwing everything up as usual. Too bad you can't patch your game...

You know that some of us gladly would send you a 10$ copy of Arcanum don't you?

6. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I do, but I don't want to trouble anyone just yet. I haven't abandoned hope of acquiring a normal copy of the game over here. Though I have to admit that I am seriously considering asking someone to do me such favour.
    The only question is- how would I give you back the money for purchasing and mailing the game?

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    Actually Solaris, I already have a double set of Arcanum discs at home (bought one to have as backup should the discs break or whatever, besides, my manual was all screwed and I'm pedantic on such issues)

I could gladly send you my old discs (don't worry, they're all fine). Or, I could just burn you a copy. I mean, you own the discs right? What would be wrong with owning a burnt copy of a game you already have bought?

I can't honestly believe that it would cost me so much sending an envelope with just the discs in it to Israel - it would be such a light package. Guess I could ask around at the local* post office for the actual costs...

Anyway, I'm sure that the cost would be dismal. You shouldn't have to think about it :)

*if you could call something that's located 30 km away from you local :roll:

8. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I'm convinced, except the question of whether a burnt CD would act like the original one and would accept patches. If it would- I'll PM you my mail address right away :) Just don't put in anything explosive, I wouldn't want the Mossad to bring you in for questioning :lol:

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Alright then! I'll get a set of cd's burnt, see if they accept the patch and all that - and if they do, I'll go to the post office and hear for the price of sending an envelope with the discs to you (their website tells me that it would cost me 20:-, or some 2$ to send it, but that site was so badly constructed, I don't trust it)

Then, I ask you for the PM with your address and then I send the damn thing!

As for the explosives - they wouldn't mind just a small dynamite would they? ;)

10. Xz

the burned copy won't have any effects on the patches, exepyt you need a new crack when ever you install a new patch.

11. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Deal! :thumbup:

They would. If you REALLY want to send me a piece of dynamite, find the schematics of Explosive Decoy and Teleport it my way :razz:

12. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I've had the whole healing salve thing happen, however I've found that if you take a few steps forward the healing effects take place. Also if the effects don't occur you should be able to get new ones to work anyway.

Our Host!