Login/Registration Requirement for Posting?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Sinbad, Nov 23, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

I've been seeing a lot of posts like the one below that just seem to waste tons of time, space and effort because guests login and post gravedigs in the hints and tips forum.

Is there any way that the rules can be changed to require people to login before they post and that they be registered to login? It seems like a simple thing to me. If a person really wants to post in the forums here, they shouldn't have a problem with registering.

They should still be able to browse to their heart's content without logging in because that hurts no one, but please do something to put a stop to this nonsense about the gravedigging.

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Registering
    Good point. I've also noticed a high number of "oops, forgot to log in" posts by various people. Registration is now required on ALL FORUMS. Now we have a name we can abuse, rather than just an IP address.

The Official Unofficial Line on Gravedigging
    This is official (because I'm an Admin) but unofficial (because the other mods/admins do what they think is right).

1. I don't care. No really, I don't care. This forum exists for people to have conversation. If someone wants to discuss something from 2 weeks ago, then let 'em raise the damn thread. If it pisses you off to see an old thread, hit Alt-F4. With that said, having a conversation about Gravedigging is welcome, if that's what you want to do. Hey, whatever keeps you talking and using the forum, ya know?
    2. I do have time limits. Anything over the 1-2 month mark is seriously pushing it. In that case, you see an "old face" and think they're back before you realise just how old the damn post is. (Anger, rising.)
    3. I'm aware of the specific instance which raised Blinky's ire and it was a mistake by the poster. No biggy. I've done that too (mixing up which window I was replying in).
    4. Ultimately, Gravedigging is a case-by-case basis. The final post's relevance on the topic is the important key. In most instances, Gravedigging is when someone digs up an old post ( > 1 month ) and replies with an inane one-liner to it, or directs a question to a poster who hasn't been around for a while.
    5. Hints 'n Tips is a special case. Arcanum is an old game so people are likely to answer/ask questions in old threads. I don't mind so much. Even if the original poster HAS gotten their answer and has long gone, someone else using the search function might appreciate having that extra post there.
    6. ... and for fuck's sake stop bitching about it. Seriously. If it bothers anyone, Private Message me. If someone digs up a 1 year old post with a one-liner, get Jinxed, Jarinor or myself to ban them for a week. Most of the gravedigging that goes on around here would not be an issue if people just let it ride. The topic would die just as soon as it was resurrected.

I also see someone's put in some word replacement. Heh.

3. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Actually, I think the word replacement was accidental, but it doesn't bother me.

I AM glad to see registration and login required because it makes life a lot better in a lot of ways, including making it impossible for us to accidentally post without logging in. I've done that on other forums and I hate it when it happens.

Thanks for the fast action DU.

As for the discussion, I don't mind some discussion, but the bitching was starting to get to me since it seems like that's all Blinky talks about lately and I'd much rather hear about his mod problems and, hopefully, solutions. :) I come to the forums to have a good time, not to listen to someone bitch about something inconsequential and meaningless. Still, I'm a firm believer in freedom of speech, so I was just trying to help Blinky out by putting something in the proper forum to get some action that might DO something to prevent or reduce what he was complaining about. I think this will cut down on guests mindlessly posting before they think. If not, at least Blinky will know WHO to yell at. LOL

4. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Sometimes grave digging is good...cause I mean, you don't want 5000 (ok, maybe that's a bit too much) threads that are based on the same topic. You know, without grave digging, the search thing will basically be useless.

What if, say you were banned or something (not specifying anyone in detail *cough* me *cough*) and you wanted to know what's been happening and you see a thread directed about you or something....I mean, would you write a thread saying something like "I read this thread about me, so here's my response," or would you gravedig and responce?

That's just my thoughts about the situation. I mean, if it bothers someone, DON'T LOOK AT THE THREAD! Or you can happily respond to thier grave digging post, I mean, come on, we're all spammers here...

5. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Well, I'm glad to see this. Now instead of yelling at guests in general we can yell at specific people... :p
    PS - If you mean the "fuck" replacement, it was Jarinor.

Our Host!