Virgil, What do you think?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Vorak, Nov 25, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What is your opinion of Virgil? DO NOT CHEAT AND VOTE MORE THAN ONCE

1. He Rocks

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Neutral

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'd rather eat Mr Wolf's Turd, Oragano and Corn in a bowl than have him on my team

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Alright no matter how much I search I can't find the origins of this debate so,

Post here if you like or don't like Virgil, I personally see his value as a magic healer available to evil players (note my icon, anti-paladin, that's right, I've embraced my dark side).

2. Langolier

Langolier Member

Even though I generally play tech, and he is thus useless. I keep him around for the story.

3. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, usually I play a loner so I never bother to pick him up. I never play an evil character so that does not come in handy either. I say he's neutral.

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Resurrected Virgil is good to have around, I've seen him actually casting Harm. He is also the only avaliable healer follower for an evil mage (evil techies can use medical arachnids).

5. Vorak

I'mjust reviving this, I haven't got nearly enough opinions yet, KEEP POSTING!!!, and don't allow this topic to get so far down the list again please.

6. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Personally i think just coming out and saying that you want more people to post in a thread is the worst possible way to get them too...

But anyway my heart goes out to you so I'll help you out with my opinion, I keep virgil around for the story, even though i usually play techie characters. If I ever played as a mage i'd probably love him.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I also keep Virgil in the party because of his story. After all, he's not a boring loonie just following me around all the time, the fellow actually has a thing or two to say at times. The fact that he changes alignment as I do is also a neat feature.

Besides, the fellow has this thing with sheep. Can't beat that...

8. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

When I'm a loner I sometimes keep him to carry my stuff. It's really annoying to have to carry all of your own stuff. He heals you too, so I keep him when I'm not going to be my all powerful Half-Ogre destroyer.

9. Icairus

Icairus New Member

\/|rG|L |5 uB3r 1337! j00 n33dz h|/\/\!

10. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Was the above an example of "leet speak?" If so, it's horrifically gay. Virgil's voice irritates the hell out of me. "That's the way to get those basta--I mean good hit, sir!" Other than that, he's a great healer character. Even when I play as a techie, I usually have non-tech characters in my party, so he's good for keeping them healthy. By the way, where does the whole Virgil Sheep-fetish thing come from? I never saw anything about that in the game, just the sheep at Madam Lil's, which is a little disturbing.

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    http://users.senet.com.au/~dbschah/modules.htm

1. Click on my link.

2. Scroll down.

3. Download the mod labelled "Virgil the Pervert".

4. Play it.

5. Roll on the floor and laugh your head of, or whatever you prefer.

6. Be happy that you now will be able to understand all jokes connecting Virgil with Sheep.

7. Pay me 10 000$ for delivering this post to you.

12. foxygrandpa999

foxygrandpa999 New Member

Can I fall on the floor laughing while laughing my head off? This would create the illusion of a headless corpse chuckling to some extent, in which you, the readers, shall laugh at. Like "hey mom! im gonna go see the headless guy down the street!" "okay timmy be careful! hes a dangerous man, with those groping hands and such!"

13. GiantRaven

GiantRaven New Member

14. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Virgil can be a royal pain in the rear, but he's necessary to the storyline, so I keep him around for that. He's also kind of helpful to most of my characters at the very beginning since I've been playing small characters who need helpers. However, I've edited his level progression to eliminate that obnoxious pick lock and substituted an increase in strenght and fixed an error in it that had him increasing one stat twice to the same level, then added Resurrect to his spells that he gains, so MY version of Virgil is not exactly "stock."

The stock version of Virgil really should be updated to fix that error. If anyone is interested, I'm willing to put out a fixed version of the file that only fixes that and adds Resurrection or I can make my version of the gamelevel.mes available.

15. Canis

Canis New Member

Nobody is necessary to the storyline. If you don't like him just get rid of him, then we wouldn't have so many people complaining about how annoying he is.

By removing his lockpick skill, aren't you increasing his MA and thus making him a more powerful follower?

What error? The Dodge 4 thing? Well it's rather like the lockpick issue. Can you remove or replace it without making him more powerful? If so, what would you replace the removed skills with that would still be in character? Giving him resurrect, again, would increase his MA, and I'm not sure if it's in character anyway.

What I'd really like to do is to put Zen Virgil back in the patched game, but I'm rather stuck on how to do it at the moment. The usually helpful Sierra boards have been disturbingly silent on this issue.... :-(

16. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Zen Virgil is IN the patched game. At least, he's in mine and I didn't do anything to add him.

As for making Virgil more powerful, I haven't seen that it has really made that much difference. He still has to build up the necessary prerequisites to be able to add those skills and that takes time and experience. About the only real effects I've seen is that it makes him a slightly better healer, a slightly better fighter because he can use a heavier weapon, and it keeps him out of my way when I want to pick a lock. So, just fixing the Dodge 4 error would not have any real effect on him except to allow him to eventually get Resurrect which would only benefit YOU or your other party npcs. It's a bit hard to cast resurrect on yourself when you're dead, :lol: so it can't benefit Virgil.

17. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

18. Canis

Canis New Member

You are either not patched, or modded, or seriously mistaken. In the patched game Virgil is simply teleported from Tsen Ang to the Sobbing Onion, retaining his levels, items, and leveling scheme. In the unpatched version your Virgil is destroyed to be replaced with a new level 25 Virgil without any of his items and with an entirely new leveling scheme. Are you saying you actually get the level 25 Zen Virgil in the patched game? :/

19. Vorak

I've never bothered with Zen-Virgil, but I watched my brother get him, he has his inventory still if you are patched and he comes back at the level he was when he left you. He also learns Harm and gets a more positive personality, however his dialogue does become more limited, now Evil-Virgil, theres a follower that you can be proud of.

20. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Now there's Evil Virgil? How do these divers incarnations come about?

P.S. Sorry about the random bit of 19-century English (divers). Been reading Last of the Mohicans, which was written in Anno Domani 1826, so the language is extremely flowery and old-fashioned. A great read.

Our Host!