Spoilers

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Some Strange Man, Dec 25, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Some Strange Man

Some Strange Man New Member

We all know that spoilers almost always get into threads/topics. I don't necessarily want to see all spoilers, and I'm sure that many people dont want to see them, so I was wondering if,

a) there could be some spoiler alert flag that could be given to threads, and that then I could see from, say, an icon next to the thread name that tells you if theres a spoiler in it. So that you know not to go into them.

The moderators/admins could change that flag at will, and posters could SET the flag only.

Or

b, that we use the same flag with the same rules, but it makes posts and threads disappear unless you check a box saying you want to see threads that contain spoilers.

2. Calis

Calis Member

I think I speak for our resident PHP coder (which used to be me, but I'm lazy these days so it's up to DU) when I say: "This doesn't warrant modding phpBB".
    I'm all for people putting "SPOILERS" in the topic name when they post a topic with spoilers in it, though. Posting spoilers without a warning is just plain inconsiderate.
    Bottom line: FAQ needs to be revamped with HoL-specific info.

3. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

I think there's a hack at phpbbhacks.com that allows the person who started the thread to make a thing that comes up before the topic name(just like if it was a poll) to say "solved" or something like that. Or maybe you could edit it to where it said spoiler or something.

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Lazy? I'd say you're too busy with the Codex Calis. :)

If you do want this though, remind me once we have the new site up and working. I'll see about looking into it then. I am aware of a BBCode
    "spoiler"
    tag where anything within that tag has to be highlighted if you want to read it. That lets people browsing the thread avoid it and lets people post helpful spoiler information to be used by those who do want it (seen at the Through the Looking Glass website on the Thief games).

In short: I won't be making anything myself. I am interested in it ONLY if it's a mod that's available somewhere. If someone wants to provide me a link which shows a phpBB mod that does what you want, I'd *look* at installing it. Otherwise, no.

The flip side of this is that if there is such a mod, all the old threads simply won't use the code and therefore, wlll be chock full of unhidden spoilers.

5. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

6. Some Strange Man

Matah, it would be useful from time to time in general discussions. I wouldnt want to hear film spoilers would I? :)

7. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, but there is aways the chande of people abusing it. Eventually it would be annoying.

Edit: Allright people! I found it! Let's here a round of aplause!
    Oh, and here's the link: http://www.phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=424

EDIT AGAIN:Shoot! I didn't notice that it'll only work for version 2.0.4. That sucks!

8. DarkUnderlord

It should work on 2.0.6 The only difference between the two versions, as far as I know, is a security thing. I'll look at installing it.

9. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Allright, that sounds good. I'm going to get all the credit, right? ;)

10. Some Strange Man

11. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Big round off applause to Some Strange Man for the idea and to MatahChuah for finding an easy way to implement it. Good going, both of you! :D

12. DarkUnderlord

Well, it's been added and it seems to work.
    Yay!

Gimme a yell in here if anything seems broken now. Have to say it's not quite the tag I was expecting
    seems to be limited to the text it highlights and it doesn't appear in a neat box like the say the quote function
    but meh, it works.

Also, make sure you spell it correctly. Example of how to use the new code:

Code:
    [spoiler]It's S-P-O-I-L-E-R not spolier or anything else.[/spoiler]
    A cookie goes to anyone who finds a better spoiler mod.

13. Some Strange Man

Our Host!