Mafia - City of Lost Heaven

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkUnderlord, Jun 20, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Has anyone else played this game? I just finished it. Really great. I kinda guessed the ending (Mr Saliari sending his regards) but to actually see it and have it play out as it did I thought was brilliantly well done. For those that don't know, Mafia is an excellent story driven game. Think Grand Theft Auto - Vice City set in the 1930's.

There are some really nice machines in the game too and who doesn't love wasting Gangsters with a tommy gun? Huh? You talking to me? I don't see nobody else around here, so you must be talking to me...

2. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

It's a very good game. More linear than Grand Theft Auto but sometimes it's not a bad thing. As a story-driven game, Mafia is the closest I've seen to an interactive movie. Graphicwise it wasn't amazing but the game had a nifty engine. And shooting tires from your car window is cool. What especially I liked were the cars' physics and damage models.
    I liked the ending too. It was one of the few games which had a logical, believable ending.

I wonder what's the status on the sequel.

3. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

I usually recommend Mafia to everyone i can. Didn't i even recommend it here, before? Great, great game.

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I've heard good things about this game, like I also heard good things about Max Payne. Ultimately, there's a set threshold of enjoyment I can have with those sorts of games, and no matter how good one of those games is, it won't go past that threshold.

5. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I played it but didn't finish it because the cars were too slow.

6. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

I thought it was a good game but like Jar said, it has a limited enjoyment because it is linear but I did enjoy it lasts. But do try the game Jar, even if it does have a limited enjoyment it's still worth it.
    I loved that level in the kind of brothel building. Busting down doors and blowing the walls apart with a sawn-off...

7. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I love the game. I recently rented it for my PS2, and I plan to buy it for my tricked out PC.

8. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

It's the 1930's. Back then, a high speed chase was going 60 mph. Wait until you get the Roadster though. Nothing beats the Roadster (in both looks and performance). I do agree though, but the cars later in the game are worth the wait.

I have to say Mafia left me with a great "Wow" feeling when I finished it. *Almost* like the feeling I got at the end of Fallout 1.

9. mathboy

mathboy New Member

well, my copy also didn't have any sound in the cutscenes, but I guess I'll have to buy a new copy soon.

10. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

You suck dick, Swede-boy. And you have a funny-looking face to boot.

11. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

That's the reason I stopped playing it too. The whole intruduction part was just way too long. I started this game twice and sadly never got to the more interesting part.

Our Host!