Newbie char guide.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Lys, Oct 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Lys

Lys New Member

I recently got a copy of Arcanum, as I enjoyed Fallout 1/2. However, the multitude of options at character generation is intimidating.

What would be recomended for a tech/gun character? As in, what race/background/skills/stats

2. spookydoomager

spookydoomager New Member

well my character starts off as aexactly that, i chose a dwarf, i puta few points into firearms skill,, one point into explosives so you can make bullets once you get the schematic, some into intelligence.

as for a background, choose one that ads to your intelligence i would think

(update)
    excuse my spelling

3. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

For reference, alot of people here prefer spelling, although you already apologized, grammer, and capitalization stemming from proper English, such as Lys. Please just go with it, I don't want ANOTHER argument over this shit.

Well, tech by itself lends itself to half-orc or dwarf, or to human as they are neutral. Gnomes also make nice techies. Elves and half-elves have trouble, although they can do it if they wish.

Perception is vital for all ranged weapons. Intelligence applies directly to the schematics you can learn. Backgrounds that boost those are nice. Penalties to Str and Dex might seem nice to go for as payment for a background that boosts Per or Int, but be careful you don't drop them too low. You need a little Dex and Str to be able to move faster than a slug and hold the stronger guns.

Skills, obviously you want firearms. You might want a little melee for backup. I suggest dodge, just in case, and I'ld rank that as more important than putting in auxilary melee. You might want some other shit too, but that's preference. It's your character, do whatever feels like it fulfills him best.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I prefer grammar myself.

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Huh, I wonder why my English teacher never corrected me on that one... Accursed Long Island accents.

6. Canis

Canis New Member

A. Lot. Two words. :thumbup:

7. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

That's more understandable though, because alot is pretty much in transition of becoming it's own word. Grammer is just... not a real word at all.

8. Canis

Canis New Member

That's crap, an excuse for people to indulge in shoddy spelling. Both "alot" and "grammer" are typos, misspellings, and public displays of idiocy. Use them in your college papers and you'll be marked down.

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Technically yes. However, language changes every day. Look at slang. Alot has been a typo for so long that it is quickly becoming it's own word. As of right now, it isn't, and I'm not saying I won't try to keep it in mind, but within a few years, maybe a decade, alot will be in Webster's, at least that is my prediction.

Grammer is another story, that's just my own idiocy. I just find it curious that no one's corrected me on it previously.

10. spookydoomager

hahaha this is all true however i dont see myself or anyone for that matter being marked down by a professor by posting here, i say if its readable, why not.

oh, and by the way i just thought of something, if you wanta good backup to firearms skill, since you might be putting points into explosives for bullets and to make some guns, put points into throwing (im assuming throwing has an effect on one's ability to throw grenades and molotov cocktails, ...and i thin,k so, but i cant remember)

11. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

I do!

12. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Thank you! We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view, you ridiculous little carnival freak. How about putting that into proper syntax, form, and grammar so that I can at least understand what you are saying before I dismiss it?

If brains were dynamite, you wouldn't have enough to blow the kneecap off a flea. Wouldn't clues have more room to fit in your head if you got rid of some of the gobbledygook in there? Reading your post makes blindness a wonderful thing to look forward to. As Ellen Glasgow once remarked: "He knows so little and knows it so fluently."

You have that certain nothing. Truly, you are about as interesting as watching a slug move slowly across a large rock. Looking at you, Darwin would NOT be pleased to see how inefficiently evolution sometimes works. Maybe you wouldn't come across as such a jellyfish-sucking mental midget if you weren't living proof that stupid people should not breed; if your weren't so fat that you make sumo wrestlers look anorexic, or if you didn't have a face so ugly that Peeping Toms break into your house and close the blinds. No, come to think of it, you would.

To sum up: I'd rather pass the world's largest kidney stone than read another post from you.

13. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

14. spookydoomager

if i may, interject here, as it seems to be about me, if you'd rather not read my posts then dont read them, why bother to reply at all in fact?

now, considering that the contents of my personal life seem to be inferred completely by the maybe 4 or 5 posts i've made, ill assume that the same is true of you, lets deduce the obvious shall we?

now clearly theres no way to get past your razor sharp wit there spanky i mean what with comments about brains being dynamite, i think i heard something like that from my cousin...who's five. but what amazes me is how you've managed to seemlessly integrate an intelligent sounding quote into your "insult", a term i use loosely. Tell me why is that? see, if you HAD taken an english class in your life id assume you would have been taught that using a quote that restates your point from someone who has nothing to do with the subject is both stupid and redundant, now i would theorize that you yourself are both stupid AND redundant in your posting here as you seem to have been making the same vapid, shallow point in every reply you've made to me.

if you disagree please say so, i and everyone woudl appreciate the entertainment, of course since you'd rather pass thigns rather than read my post im going to assume you wont read this, and if you should reply would only perpetuate my concept of your utter stupidity.

by the way......why dont you bugger off and leave me to post as i will, if im breaking the rules ill be informed by a mod, or someone who can debate a point with some semblence of an education, please show some rather than make an ass of yourself.

15. Canis

Canis New Member

The fact that language changes over time does not mean we need to encourage uneducated wannabe writers who don't know the difference between "it's" and "its" to reinvent English at will. Idiot-... I mean, chatspeak, ebonics, and Cockney rhyming slang are also in wide use, but that doesn't make them correct.

Webster's has a proven history of taking every random brain fart that gains even the slightest popularity among American English-speakers.

16. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Oh relax. I do, for the most part, agree with you. However, if enough people are performing a specific lingual mistake to credit it's acceptance by educated society, you can hardly refer to the mistake as just some trivial mistake only fools make.

English is the tool of the English-speaking population, not the other way around. While people need to learn how to use it, if a majority wishes to amend the tool, your opinion alone isn't going to stand in their way. If enough people want a lot to be one word, it's going to be alot.

The fact that languages progress slowly also shows that it isn't as fickle as you make it seem. No we shouldn't encourage bad spelling or grammar, but you shouldn't get too worked up over common minor mistakes.

17. Canis

Canis New Member

Minor mistakes are fine, as long as they remain minor mistakes and not accepted as perfectly legitimate ways to write. My quarrel with "alot" is that it completely changes the meaning of the words it contracts, which is a disservice to the language.

18. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Perhaps that's why they should be separate words. Alot meaning many, and a lot meaning an amount of.

19. Lys

Lys New Member

So, dwarf with a point in persuasion/firearms/explosives/dodge? I'm thinking miracle operation for the Int and PE.

Just tried and found out I don't have enough dex for dodge/throw. (ponder)

20. spookydoomager

Miracle operation is good but if you want to shotgun it for int. id go with sickly.

Our Host!