A question about Mr. Bates

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by BetrayerofBates, Feb 3, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Did you betray Bates?

1. yes, the scum deserved it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no, all was forgiven

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BetrayerofBates

BetrayerofBates New Member

ok, ok, ok, so I...betrayed Bates. I gave his arch nemesis Bates diary. Than the news of Mr. Bates fakery was all over the papers. I did it because I believed the TRUTH needed to be told. I also did it, I admit, because I wanted to destroy the man. He was praised by all and it was a LIE. I felt bad for his rival a bit as well. Even though his rival was a pompous ass. Anyway, throughout the rest of the game, I was being chased by bounty hunters hired by Bates. I actually started to regret my decision to betray Bates at first but when I saw how he hired bounty hunter after bounty hunter to come after me, I did not regret it at all. What kind of man hires bounty hunters to kill someone? Bates claimed he wanted the truth to be told but that he...NO BUTS. I let the truth be told, and because it RUINED him, he came after me. Screw Bates. So... Heres my question. WHAT HAPPENS TO BATES? At the end of the game, there was NO mention of him. I got no picture of him with a voice over about his fate at the end. I got one about Donn Throgg, but not about him. What gives? Would I have gotten an ending about him if I did not betray him?

2. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

I did not betray him to his arch nemesis because Bates felt guilty and because Appleby's reason for wanting to destroy Bates wasn't good enough in my book.

I did not get a scene about Bates in the end. I'm also annoyed :-/

3. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Probably by the time one finishes the game Bates is dead. He's the lesser of two evils.

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I loathe Appleby. I'd rather cooperate with the dishonest, but noble Bates than with his all-around worthless competitor.

5. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Don't forget that Gilbert Bates improved on the original designs of the steam engine A LOT! Plus, it looks like that he doesn't patented the (basic) steam engine, since Appleby also makes steam engines (with less succes, but he is insane), plus Bates doesn't want to ruine his competitor, but Appleby does.
    (Plus Bates treats orc workers well)

6. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Bates says that he treats orcs well. This does not mean it is true.
    When I talk to Bates I get the impression that he thinks treating orcs as people is ridiculous. He treats them well for animals so in his mind he treats them well.

7. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Yeah. He admits that he stole the steam engine, the symbol of his reputation, then he tells you that he treat orcs well, when he knows that orcs are hated throughout all Tarant.

It is soooooo obvious that he lied......

And Bates is truly a genius, as I said before, he obviously knows that orcs aren't animals.

8. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

He doesn't think they are animals. He thinks they are subhuman so he treats them well "for animals".

"[He looks at you suspiciously.] Why do you ask, [he pauses for effect]...halforc? You're not a labor sympathizer, are you? A "unionizer", perhaps? I can assure you, my workers are happy to have the jobs I give them. I treat your people better than any other factory owner, of that I can assure you."

"How dare you, sir! I will not have subhuman labor agitators insult me in my own home!"

Sounds very enlightened to me...

9. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

They can be viewed as subhumans, since they do the majority of crimes in Tarant (half-orcs too), they not obey the law, yet, Bates treats them in a "nearly human" manner (what he understands under this, is a mystery), good, compared with any other factory owners. In Tarant, perhaps he treats orcs best. (And their orcs never work; his factory is always empty :D ). And since he has no labor difficulties (except for Appleby & his saboteurs), I think he is doing right. If Bates treated orcs as humans, tarantians would get upset or at least suspicious (especially humans without work), so his reputation would be ruined, his business would go bust... So I think Bates' racism (which is general in Tarant) is actually posing, to hide this (altough I didn't play as an half-orc, yet...).

And yes, it is a sad thing that the people of Tarant has prejudice against orcs, but if 80..90 percent of them are criminal, nobody will smile when sees one.

"How dare you, sir! I will not have subhuman labor agitators insult me in my own home!" - Let me guess, you insulted him. If you keep insulting him, he will attack regardless of your race.

10. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Rubbish. It is statistically proven that blacks in America commit a higher percentage of crimes per head than whites. So by your logic black people are subhuman. Your argument is flawed to say the least.

Bates calls half-orc players subhuman when he is annoyed. There is a world of difference between calling someone a "bastard" and calling someone a "black bastard". One is insulting the other is racist and insulting.

So as I said, he treats them well for animals but not well for humans. He is the slave master who thinks himself enlightened because he treats these creatures as almost human but he fails to realise that this attitude itself is racist. He may be better than some of the other factory owners but this does not mean he treats the orcs well.

11. Solaris

Solaris New Member

That's not what the orcs at his factory say, is it?

12. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Are you absolutely sure it is his factory?

13. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

- the percentage of criminalism amongst blacks is FAR below than amongst the orcs (just think about the number of good and bad orcs you encounter AND KILL during the game)
    - in the game, orcs and even half-orcs are shaped to be arrogant and violent (remember the text at the character creation screen); there are very few counterexamples, but again, substantially less than the number of orcs you kill during the game

Why he is so annoyed? If you insult him, don't expect a nice insult.

Then define the good treatment; I think its definition would begin with "according to that time and place". Of course, if the world changes around Bates, and Bates keeps the current treatment, he is racist; otherwise not.
    (Remember: the ancient Greece kept slaves and suppressed women, yet, they weren't racist)

And yes, orcs are subhuman, even subogre!

14. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Congratulations, you've just double posted.

15. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Let me add this:

Congratulations: you're an idiot.

16. Xz

Who? me? Why thank you.

17. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

18. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Myself, I betrayed the bastard. That thing about "the wealth haunts me every day" just... wasn't any good to me. So I chopped the bastard along with all his crew; guards, servants. Everyone.

And I felt good about it ^^

19. Xz

I take it you also joined the dark elves?

20. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Who pays the hunters that follow you when Bates is dead, anyway? Meh, if Arcanum had a cool dark ending, I'd probably kill Bates more often.

Our Host!