questions & curiosities

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by GigurBim, Aug 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. GigurBim

GigurBim New Member

Hey all, im having some gameplay issues and need guidance. Im using patch 1.0.7.4. (the latest official patch right?).

Im lvl 12 playing on medium. Male dwarf technologist using guns & explosives mostly. My party consists of myself, Virgil, Magnus and Dog.

As for the storyline, i just got the quest to go to the BMC mines.

Adventuring

1) How am i supposed to carry extremely heavy body armors?? I found two great magic armors in a dungeon chest pretty early on, but they weight 1000 stone (platemail) and 500 stone (chainmail)!! Thats 1500 stone and i get speed penalties as soon as 650 stone or so (dwarf male).

Im a technologist and need to carry a lot so this is a real pain and i hate having speed penalties.

Anyway how am i supposed to handle these weights and adventure without stress? Does the unofficial patch fix this?

Followers

1) Is there a way that followers can be trained in skills, except by choosing the "Educator" background? I see
    that Dog is trained as apprentice in melee.

2) Do followers auto level? Is it possible that you spend their points?

3) Will Virgil ever use magical potions or salvas/fatigue restorers that you put in his inventory?

4) Can Magnus' mystic dwarven gauntlets increase in power?

5) I see that sometimes when Magnus hits with his fist, an explosion occurs. Is this some sort of a special effect of his gauntlets? Does it only occur when he is without a melee weapon?

6) I know Dog is free, but does he count as a follower? Also 4 CHA = +1 max follower?

7) This seems unlikely but i had to make sure. Can Virgil stop using his magical healing on me because it doesnt work (tech char)?

8) I really want to have at least one half-ogre in my party because of encumberance issues, and a follower that uses firearms. Can you give me a hint where to look without sharing to much?

Development

1) I heard that some exotic firearms are actually crap, like grenade launcher for example. Can anyone warn me in
    advance about other tempting schematics that are not worth the character points?

2) Is healing jacket worth the points (im at Charged Rings now) and can it be made with small/large armors and damaged armors?

3) I can make healing salvas but is fatigue restorer worth another point?

4) Whats the optimum level at which one finished the game. Max level is 50 right?

Explosives

1) What does the flash grenade actually do? It blinds, does that mean it lowers PE? Enemies still hit me in melee all the same.

2) What does the smoke grenade actually do?

Patch

1) Does patch 1.0.7.4. add a dungeon below the tarantian power plant?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Woah, a lot of stuff there.

Actually, a lot of your questions I don't know the answer to (particularly because I completed the game on a magical character), but anyways, I'll answer some things:

Go to the Inn in Blackwater, and talk to the Innkeeper, but choose the dialogue option that states his prices are high, and would there be any alternative. He will then offer you a quest to get his box from the blacksmith. Complete the quest, and the Innkeeper grants you a room for the rest of the game (for free). Use the chest beside the bed to hold all your stuff, and use this Inn as your stash. This way you wont have to carry everything you own around (your stuff wont disappear from the chest if you leave the town).

Also, a half ogre will help to carry stuff, so get Sog Mead Mug (or whatever his name is). You will require I believe one point in persuasion, and he is in the shrouded hills inn.

I believe that followers level when you do.

Anyways, I'm replaying the game right now as a technologist too. I'm about to get Magnus I think (he said I didn't have a high enough level initially, so I got the dog and the Blackwater Inn room, did a few side quests, and now I'm gonna head back to Magnus with my increased level).

Best of luck!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ADVENTURING

1.Spend some CPs on STR or get Sogg Mead Mugg(Half-Ofre) from Shrouded Hills inn(requires CH 9),Chukka from G. Bates.

FOLLOWERS

1.I think NO,cuz i never could

2.They always lvl when you do.IF they need less exp than you and they get their exp before you,then they lvl up aswell.You cannot spend their CPs.

3.Yes he does.On you,himself and on other followers.

4.I don't understand what you are asking,but propably the answer is No.

5.Yes,i guess

6.It is a follower,but it will join you regardless of your followers limit.CHA 4+=1 mf...yup

7.If you are tech char and your tech aptitude is high,,then he will heal only when you have something 20% or less HP left.That's why he doesn't heal Magnus if he has only half HP left.

8) Try Sogg Mead Mugg from Shrouded Hills(9 CHA requiered)

DEVELOPMENT

1.Browick's gun ain't da best.Hussed revolver ain't good too unless you are playing as a thief.

2.It needed leather armor i guess and sumthing else(i rem so).You may use large,normal or small leather armour.It doesn't depend on the size if you have right item.Yes it is...and if u dun like it then you can get Tesla Rod which is the 5th schematic in electricity college.

3.It will come handy when Virgil or any other followers are mages(ofcourse it may not work on mages all the times,because it is meant more for tech chars)

4.Max lvl is 50,but if you want you can download patch from downloads section that raises lvl cap to 127

EXPLOSIVES

1.It is harder for your enemy to hit you i think.

2.Sry i don't know.

PATCH

1.I think dungeon was added even "before" the Patch.Maybe you just don't find the entrance to the dungeon.

4. The_Deathsangel

The_Deathsangel New Member

For 8 ) Tech characters are

* Jayna Stilles from Dernhholm
    * Sebastian from the Boil in Tarant (won't be there untill later)
    * Franklin Payne in Blackroot (won't be there untill later)
    * Magnus in Tarant

The rest is magical or unbiased (pure Melee/Dodge, with perhaps tech bonuses - like Loghair Thunder Stone)

The rest was answered by saatan45

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Silly me! It is BlackRoot!

Also, I recon that I was incorrect about requiring one point in persuasion for Sogg Mead Mugg; it's probably the 9 charisma or whatever saatan45 said. >_>

6. GigurBim

GigurBim New Member

Ok thanks for the info guys.

I have a new problem now though - Sogg wont level up. I went back to shrouded hills, hired Sogg (he is lvl2, my party is lvl12) and now he wont level. He needs 2500xp for lvl3 and its like that all the time. Any ideas?
    Btw is he a free follower? I have 9 CHA and my party consists of Virgil, Magnus, Dog and now Sogg.

Also if someone knows what do smoke & flash grenades actually do, please post.

7. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Have you leveled up with him in your party? He ONLY levels when you do.

8. The_Deathsangel

The_Deathsangel New Member

He only levels when you level no matter how little xp he needs.
    And no he is not a free follower. Some followers however seem to have a problem detecting your follower limit when the initially join. When you let them wait however they won't rejoin, and at some spots you need to let them wait... so you will loose him again unless you increase Cha to 12

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Dog doesn't count as one of the max followers.

10. GigurBim

GigurBim New Member

Yeah im definitely fighting monsters with Sogg in my party, and he is constantly the same lvl and experience. Its a bug then i guess.
    Also, he shouldnt have joined me in the first place because i already have 2 followers (virgil and magnus) and 9 cha.

11. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

You didn't really read our answers, did you? Have you leveled up with him in your party? He won't level unless you do so as well.

12. GigurBim

GigurBim New Member

Ohh lol i see. Is this the way how all followers level?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

umm...yeah

14. floyd

floyd New Member

Give Virgil bandages if you are playing a tech character.
    That way he will stop healing you with his magic powers and use the bandages on you (and your followers) instead. But do stock up on them, 'cause bandages only have limited uses (10, I think). Every time you visit a city, you should go see the general store and the herbalist and buy all the bandages they have.

The whole weight-encumbrance thing can be a bit of a drag at first, but if you're a technologist you can always make the Featherweight Chainmail which totally rocks and saves... weight.

As for the flash and smoke grenades: I haven't got a clue what they do, but it would seem logical that they affect your enemy's perception. They are pretty much useless, though. Molotovs are really all you need. The other grenades aren't worth the CPs you put into them, although some of them do fetch nice money when you sell them, I guess.

Also: if you play a tech character, think about using Potions of Intellect (+10 INT) instead of pumping up your INT. You only need a high INT to study schematics and make your gadgetry - and those are things you can also do after drinking a Potion of Intellect (the effect doesn't last very long, but long enough to do those things).

15. GigurBim

GigurBim New Member

So every follower will develop the same way every game?

16. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    No, they develop randomly. This often leads to hilarity when sorcerers like Perriman Smythe and Geoffrey Tarrelond Ashe dump all their points into Perception, Firearms, Intelligence and Gunsmithy, becoming the finest gunmen in all of Arcanum!

... of course they develop the same way through every game, what did you think?

17. GigurBim

GigurBim New Member

18. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

"... but the highest form of intelligence."

19. GigurBim

GigurBim New Member

About the armor weight.... in your experience guys, is more protection worth the speed penalty? Im currently thinking should i "upgrade" from Leather Armor to Chainmail, on my followers

20. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

I usually give my followers the best armour they can wear. If it also slows them down that's a bonus, because for all I care they could stay put and only help me out when I've fallen unconscious. But I usually don't bother upgrading from leather to chainmail, because platemail is where it's at. Particularly that ugly, golden bronzed platemail with extra fire resistance. Won't work for mages though, because they'll get horrible critical failures if they wear either chainmail or platemail that isn't magickal.

And mages really should become gunslingers instead, because they've obviously not got the brains to make intelligent use of their spells. And would it really have been so difficult to make followers level up in slightly different ways? I noticed that Virgil got DX 19, even though he should've stopped at 18 in order to max out Melee and Dodge, so what gives? Was he headed for 20, but decided to take a break so that he wouldn't be too powerful too soon?

Or did the Gloves of Dexterity mess up his levelling scheme? Since it works for PCs, perhaps it works for NPCs too: If you cast a lot of Agility of Fire on a follower before you level up, perhaps they'll build up their Melee skill to 20 instead of building up Dexterity to 18? Though that should've left Virgil with less than DX 18, not more. I just don't know.

Our Host!