Translation

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Reiko, Feb 4, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Reiko

Reiko New Member

Does anybody know how to translate Arcanum from Eng into some other language? I mean all the texts of original game and ofcourse the images with inscriptions. Where can I find these materials, how to edit them?.. partly some kind of localization, that's what I intend to do, yeah.
    Hope to see a manual or at least the basic information about that stuff.

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Reiko!

Translating the various files can be done but it is a labor-intensive task.

Start with a patched copy of Arcanum. I'd suggest adding the unofficial patch as well.
    Get a copy of DATBuilder from the download section.
    Rename the Arcanum/Arcanum1 - 4 (or 7) .dat files with an X in front of the name. Do the same for the modules/Arcanum.dat and patch files. You will also need to add .dat to the end of the .patch files for DATBuilder to see them.
    Now create empty folders with the appropriate names in the right locations. ie: Arcanum/Arcanum1.dat, Modules/Arcanum.dat, Modules/Arcanum.patch0.....
    Use DATBuilder to unpack the renamed DATs into the appropriate folders.

You now have access to all the files.

Go through the various dlg and mes files you'll find and translate them into the language you want. Start with the .patch files and higher numbered DATs first. This will save you from having to do the same job twice or three times as they contain the corrected versions of original files.

When you're finished, use DATBuilder to pack the folders into dats, remove the .dat ending from the newly-created patch files, and enjoy the results.

Editing the dlg and mes files can be done with Notepad, Wordpad, or a similar word editor. A dlg editor is available in the downloads but it's optional.

3. Reiko

Reiko New Member

Thank you a lot!
    I'll start trying right now, following your advices.)

Our Host!