Torien Kel and other Buggery

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by demlex, Aug 29, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. demlex

demlex New Member

Hey all, I've been trolling the forum here for a bit, and definitely like this one, the philosophical and intellectual debates and conversations I've found are astonishing. I've gone to another Arcanum forum but it was mostly dead so I found little answer to my questions, this one has answered a few of them but mostly when I search I get twenty some pages. I still have several questions of my own, but many of them are REALLY random, usually about glitches and other fun stuff and several of them I also believe may belong in different sections of the forum.(The other questions I believe I've posted in the noticeably appropriate forum sections)

This question is about Torien Kel, there have been some times when I visit him, that he would just outright attack me with no option of giving him the blood(which I always go get first and always become max in persuasion before that) There have been good aligned playthroughs where he doesn't do this, but the last time he did I recall bringing magnus with me, which I heard, he's got a thing against undead. He(Torien Kel, not magnus-.-) has been one of my favorite characters and I like to try and get him in EVERY playthrough, or atleast the ones with max persuasion possible.

So I guess the question would be: If magnus is in the group am I forced to fight him? or is there a certain ammount of good I can be before he sees me as TOO good an attacks me without a conversation even WITH max persuasion?

Whenever I have a custom background(as well as a few modified items) character who has max reaction and beauty, I may talk to some people occasionally and they'll go from +100 loving me, to 0 hatred and the next line in the conversation with them involves them drawing they're weapon and attacking me. Its happened with the Gamble master, the Firearms master, madam Lil, and possibly others I can't recall at the moment.

Question is: What is causing the glitch? Am I so beautiful that if they loved me anymore they'd hate me?

And another question is: once something is hostile to you, is there ANY possible way to make it neutral at least, so you can talk to them?

2. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Greetings demlex!

I will not answer any of your questions because I am not very Arcanum-savvy, but you will find that there are other members who seem to know the game inside and out. They will help you.

I am more than happy to welcome you to The House of Lords, however.

Thank you for using the Search function and posting in the appropriate sub-forum.

3. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

Greetings demlex, welcome to the forum,

Y'know, you're not alone experiencing this glitch with Torian Kel. I've played Arcanum many times with different races, and must say I noticed when I was Elf or Dwarf, he attacked me outright when I wanted to talk to him... Human character was the first one that could successfuly talk to him without being attacked. (Does he have anything against the Elves and Dwarves? :/)
    Now I don't know if I am right about that what I said, or there is another alternative - that I needed to talk to him very quickly so that he had no time to attack me - but maybe this is bullshit.

4. moonlight

moonlight Member

I nticed that whenever I enter his room, without its KEY he welcomes me with an attack other than this all of my characters where succesful in talking to him, with the key of course :) .

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

No.

No.

Perhaps those custom backgrounds and modified items you mentioned aren't as flawless as they should be.

What game version are you playing, anyway?

6. demlex

demlex New Member

The modified items, are really just remaking some items to have higher bonus's then normal, gloves of Dex giving 20 instead of 2, and also bow skill so I can give Virgil a bow when I play my archer character, stuff like that really...

Absolutely, positively, unpatched, right from the case to my PC, or it was, but that's something entirely different:

While I understand that the original had a lot of bugs, not all were bad, and I'm not particularly sure what bugs are fixed in the patches(official or unofficial), and I personally want to keep my Mind Dominated cities permanently Mind Dominated, the reflection shield+another spell, is a staple in quite a few of my games, and I don't exactly want to lose that effect... turning entire villages to stone permanently is too fun I think...

Oh and thanks for being so simple with the answers Muro, really helps, gotta like that guy.

===============================================

Hmm but that still leaves the other problem when people suddenly turn hostile during a conversation: I think usually at that point in the conversation, they would gain more reaction towards me, but instead these people turn hostile and after I finish the current "speech bubble" they open up and attack me...

And then there's the last one: Can someone be made un-hostile towards you? or are you stuck with it?

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

There is a way to make an aggressive hostile NPC an unaggressive hostile NPC (reaction at 0, speaking only hate speech but not attacking).

If there is a way to make an aggressive hostile NPC non-hostile, I have yet to find it.

Our Host!