Reviews

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maniac, Jun 24, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Maniac

Maniac New Member

Okey...write your reviews of cool games.

Game: Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    Genre: RPG

Graphic: 9/10 - the water is amazing, it looks real. I stared at it for a few minutes the first time I saw it. Houses, trees, rocks :) etc. look really nice. People and beasts look really well. Their moves look realistic, smooth and there are many diferent faces. Only the shadows disappoint me because they tend to show up through the wall and look shitty but I gave 9/10 anyway because I've played Morrowind for 20 or so hours and I still can't stop from admiring the scenery or some other view...

Sound: 7/10 - really good music (10/10) but SFX aren't that good.

Interface: 10/10 - I found it very comfortable. The best thing is you can drag-drop, extend the tables like in Windows. Everything else is cool too.

Gameplay: 9/10 - A huge and detailed world, a whole bunch of quests, lots of factions (where you can advance in ranks) to join and lots of skills and stats. It all merges into a very nice gameplay.

Atmosphere: 9/10 - Lack of words here...it's fantastic.

Overall: 9/10 - A must for any RPG fan and a very good game for others.

Other advantages: it has a construction set for creating your own worlds but the program is not for amateurs.

Other disadvantages: requires a hi-end system. It didn't work with my old Vodoo 3 and my friend feels slowdowns lag with a GeForce 2 Mx 32mb, 256ram, 800mhz CPU.
    I have GeForce 3 Ti 128mb, 256mb, 1,2ghz Athlon XP (it had to be 1.5ghz :( ) and it runs smoothly for me with max settings. Some bugs.

2. Maniac

Maniac New Member

3. Ferret

Ferret New Member

*CLANK* *sound of something bad falling out the bottom....*

4. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Heroes of Might and Magic IV
    --------------------------------------------
    I'm a veteran of all previous HoMM versions. I played and enjoyed them all, and became competent enough to play them all on the hardest difficulty level, achieving the highest scores (Black Dragon). With each successive version, I went through the same cycle: anticipation until release, initial resistance to changes on first play, appreciation of new elements once I'd become familiar with them, then eventual semi-addiction to the game once I was in the swing of it. Although I probably played HoMMII the most, I think I can say that each version was better than the preceeding one. I therefore had high hopes for HoMMIV.

Initially, the game seemed to bear them out. The new graphics grew on me fast, the new features all made sense, and the creatures/towns/characters were appealing. I played it a lot in the first couple of weeks, seemingly going through the same cycle as before. Then I hit a difference. After I had become familiar with the game, and the novelty had worn off, I didn't become addicted. Instead, I lost interest. I haven't picked it up since, even though the UK patch is now out (I have downloaded but not applied it).

Part of the reason for this is lifestyle. I'm older and married now and don't play games as much. Another factor is history. I've seen so many games and types of gameplay, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to become interested in more of the same. The main factor, though, is in the game itself - the AI. The game is ridiculously easy on lower levels. I haven't played the highest levels, a mark of the game's failure to capture my interest, but at the mid level, the game is still quite easy. Any greater difficulty that does exist arises from numeric/strategic advantages awarded to the computer positions; those positions are still played badly and in an off-putting manner.

Scores:
    • Graphics: 9/10 - Excellent, as usual. Some people don't like them, but I don't understand why.
    • Sound: 7/10 - I never listen to ingame music, but the effects were pretty good, if nothing special.
    • Interface: 9/10 - High usability and very appealing.
    • Gameplay: 6/10 - With an adequate AI or a MP option it would be 9/10. The new features have adjusted the gameplay enough from previous versions to keep it fresh and interesting whilst keeping it discernibly Heroes. However, without a decent opponent, the game holds almost no interest for intermediate or above players.
    • Build Quality: 7/10 - I thought the game was well built. Transitions are pretty fast, and it all runs smoothly. The game crashes once in a while for no apparent reason, but not often enough to be irritating. There is a slow down problem that occurs after extensive uninterruped play, although I haven't experienced it.
    • Overall: 7/10 - A great game with a fatal flaw. It's good for a couple of weeks solid interest, but replayability drops off quickly as player aptitude increases.

I thought I'd try to help you out, Maniac. Sorry I used slightly different scoring criteria than you.

5. Maniac

Maniac New Member

Thanks S_F. I have HoMM4 and yes the AI sucks BUT apply the patch and the AI will get better (a little) and no more slowdowns.

My next game review:
    Game: GTA3
    Genre: gangster sim. I guess :cool:_

Graphics: 10/10 - really fantastic. Lots of cars, skyscrapers, people walking, rain, fog, explosions, everything. Now that;s a game with most beautiful graphics possible (almost) at this year.

Sound: 8/10 - good sfx. Lots of radio stations but most songs are shitty (so instead I play my MP3).

Interface: 8/10 - above average.

Gameplay: 10/10 - everything good the previous parts had and much new things woth 3d realm giving an even better gamplay than GTA 1/2.

Atmosphere: 9/10 - urban atmosphere. It fits nicely. Very interesting to watch a gang fight etc.

Overall: 10/10 - definetly one of the hits of the year.

Other Advantages: n/a (that's not bad (readOTHER) )

Other disadvantages: requires a hi-end system, lacks replayability but it's always fun to just go for some car chase or a shooting practice etc.

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Sheriff, I agree. I have my own theory about the AI. You see, the main difficulty factor in the previous Heroes, was the computer starting out with a city which was all built. And before you could even start, he came down upon like a bad case of tooth ache. It was sort of ridiculous, because I am an expert of combat. I manage to turn even the most dire looking battles into victories. But even I fell. That happened because I didn't cheat, which was required to beat zillions of black dragons. I played every single Heroes, including all the upgrades. I gave up on one, because it was too hard. (I'm talking about the campaigns)
    In this part of heroes, they didn't give that ability to the AI, they sort of nerfed it. And in result, the computer became useless.
    I finished all of Heroes IV, expect the last mission, because it crashed at a certain point no matter what I did.

Graphics: 9/10

With my 19 inch monitor, I set the resolution to 1280x1024, which made the interface of the game excellent. Besides that, the new style of the graphics and visual effect are very pretty.

Sound 10/10

As a music freak, I loved all the music in the series, I even d/l a program which extracted the music in mp3 files and I listen to it on my mp3 player while waiting at the bus stop. Especially the ones from combat, it's why I always enjoyed it so much.

Interface 9/10

It has come a long way. Nothing I can really say negative about it.

System 5/10

The games code is quite poor. There is a god damn memory leak which causes the sound to repeat its sefl over and over. Every two hours, the computer needs to be restarted. None of the patches fix that.

Gameplay 7/10

The game's terribly easy. I beat it with my eyes closed. But who cares? The real fun starts when you get to play against your friends.

I give the game an extra mark for evolution. When I saw it for the first time, I was stunned, it was beautiful, a whole new world. The abilities, the heroes, the graphics, the battle system, the list goes on and on, everything evolved the right way. Except the AI.

Overall 9/10

Heroes IV proved to be everything I ever wanted and more. For me, that game goes into my book of legendary games.

I finished everything on expert level. And near the end, the campaigns's map difficulty was champion.
    I could not get through the very beginning of the game on champion difficulty. You started with a hero who was level one and you were forced to battle troops of advanced level and number. That's ridiculous.

7. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

Morrowind: XBOX version

9/10 graphics, because people are a little blockier than i'd like... having seen other games for xbox, they could have upped the graphics for console, at least. otherwise, excellent.

as for the rest, 10/10. i'm an addict.

8. Loki

Loki New Member

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Gameplay: 8/10
    Well the single player is too linear. There are some puzzles in the game that are almost too counter-intuitive. But good interface for controlling the slashes when equipped with a lightsaber. And a very good uses of force powers. The game is 6/10 without the force powers/lightsaber and 9/10 with it for the rest of the game. Also there is that token 'stealth' mission that is somewhat disappointing. If you get hold of a lightsaber, there is no need for other weapons, except for the disruptor sniper rifle that you have to use for those pesky Rodian sharpshooters.

Graphics: 9/10
    I am impressed by the graphics. There are not flawless, but the overall theme of Star Wars is well represented. There are no signs of clippings or corrupt textures. The models are well animated and nice done, especially the Storm Troopers.

Sound: 8/10
    The buzzing sound that lightsabers make is pretty cool. There are number of music scores but they are sparse. The music changes according to certain situations. The sound effects of the weapons are fairly standard. Fairly good voice work for the characters.

Multiplayer: 9/10
    Very fun. Especially the duels, where I do suck very bad, but at least you are cut down while swinging like a madman. You can also bout with bots and they are fairly smart with different characteristics. Too bad there are some exploits but that is only minor gripe.

Value: 8/10
    Single player is fairly short and disappointing, but the multiplayer makes up for it, but not more than. If you are a Star Wars fan however (which I am not), there is no other choice but to pick up the game. A lot of mods and custom created maps are available already, so this one should last a long time.

Overall: 8/10

9. Maniac

Maniac New Member

Name: Arcanum
    Genre: RPG
    Creator: Troika

Graphics: 4/10 - the worst part of the game but graphic is not the most important in RPGs.

Sound: 5/10 - below average

Music: 6/10 - not much variety

Gameplay: 8/10 - intresting and varied.

Atmoshpere: 7/10 - would be very good but graphics and sound ruin it.

Replayability: 9/10 - the best thing about this game.

Interface: 7/10 - average.

Multiplayer: 3/10 - piece of shit

Overall: 8/10 (!) - allthough there are many bad parts it still has something DEEP but only adviced for RPG maniacs. For other might cause shock.

Advanatges: many possible playing styles, very good replayability, mods.
    Disadvantages: many bugs, poor graphics, unbalanced.

10. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Regarding Jedi Knight 2. Great game since you have lightsaber but there are some flaws. Too much jumping, esp. in "bottomless" places. I played using keb/mouse combo and I can't say I had all that much control during lightsaber fights. Keys combinations for techniques should be listed in mission computer (like in ONI). Far too much trouble looking for passages hidden in dark corners. Other than these flaws it's a great game. I guess they're not flaws all that much for a FPP skilled person.

Regarding Arcanum's review graphics is very good, it's style adds to atmosphere. As for interface it's not that bad after you patch the game though some annoying flaws remain.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I also thought Arcanum's sound was pretty good. Not necessarily as good as Morrowind's (I don't listen to other music while playing Morrowind, but I did with Arcanum), but it was still pretty good. It was better than you'd find in regular games, especially FPS's.

12. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

About the replayabilty... You must be joking, that's what I found about arcanum that s00xXx0urd most. The bugs in that game made it even a pain to finish it at least ONCE.

13. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

That’s what is funny about bugs. When I bought the game it simply wouldn’t run. Then I switched my Windows from ME to 2000 and never found any bug. Later my sister played it in a machine almost like mine under the same OS and… more bugs than in a sewer, and she knows quite a bit about computers. She only finished the game because she fell in love with it.

14. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Arcanum seems to be a different game every time you install it - even on the same puter.

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I suffered from very few bugs in Arcanum. Rarely locked up/crashed on it's own and I played it through about 5 or 6 times. Maybe more. It seems I've got a bit of luck when it comes to bugs and games, which I'm grateful for as it (partway) makes up for some other deficincies in my life.

16. Sheriff Fatman

Can't we just leave the peanut buttered sausages out of this for once?

I didn't experience many bugs, either. Major bugs - crashes and lock-ups are almost always platform-specific.

17. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

Hey anybody picked up War Craft 3 yet? If so what did you think?

18. Sheriff Fatman

Strangely enough, my brother plans to lend me this one too, next time I see him. I'm not an RTS fan, so doubt I'll even install it.

19. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

Good to know, the profile is almost complete, then my automation will kill you, and take over your life and no one will be the wiser.

20. Maniac

Maniac New Member

I only experienced a few bugs in Arcanum.

I'm getting Warcraft3 soon. As well as NWN, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Freedom Force, Deus Ex :roll:

Our Host!