Neverwinter, Morrowind, or Dungeon Siege?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tzehoong, Jul 16, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Which is the better game?

1. Dungeon Siege

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Morrowind

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neverwinter Nights

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

First poll I've done so far, first topic started in a looong time.

So do vote. Note that the question is "the better game", not the better RPG.

I've only played Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind. And there are other good games which came out this year. Still, these were (at least to me) the three most highly-anticipated games of 2002. I'll write my personal opinion on these games later.

2. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i've only played morrowind, so i don't feel qualified to vote, sorry.

3. Maniac

Maniac New Member

4. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I have only played morrowind, but since I have such a humongous ego i feel that i em qualified to vote. Morrowind all the way

5. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

6. Milo

Milo New Member

I've never played either Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights.

I have played Dungeon Seige, and would heartily recommend getting Morrowind and/or Neverwinter Nights before this game. Once I'm done setting up my computer, I'll be able to give a more informed opinion.

Who knows? Maybe seeing Dungeon Seige with all the eye candy turned on and running at a decent frame-rate will change my opinion of this game. I played for about 15 minutes, and was already bored from walking around in the forest and slaughtering everything that moved. Maybe it gets better, but after asking around, the general feeling was that if you don't like that, it's not going to get any better for you. Uninstall-->Dungeon Seige.

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Dungeon Siege is great. However, the multiplayer is much better than single player, because even on easy difficulty, and killing everything possible, you can't get past about level 40.

However, in multiplayer, you get to a whopping 150, and you can play both the single player and multiplayer maps. Both maps are absolutely HUGE and there is a hell of a lot of game-time available.

I've also got Morrowind, and I find this an unfair poll. I don't know about NWN, but Morrowind and Dungeon Siege are two completely different genre games (well, they play totally differently anyway) and so I find myself in the opinion that they are not comparable.

8. Milo

Milo New Member

Ok, I'll give Dungeon Seige another try¹.

¹After Morrowind. That comes before everything. I can't wait to play this game.

9. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

I also haven’t played all these games. But let’s comment about those I had.
    Dungeon Siege: I didn’t finish the demo. Graphics are good but that’s all. No story, only monster killing; so let’s compare to the other game in this style: Diablo (2). What I like about these games is the leveling and character development. In Dungeon Siege you play with a party of 8 characters and there are 4 skills to develop; nothing much to do here. If you like only endless monster fighting maybe you will like it, else keep your distance.
    Morrowind: I am disappointed with this game. First it is a FPS. After Arcanum (and a few others) the story doesn’t cut in, and dialogues by topics are frustrating. Open story line just means a bunch of disconnected quests. The game is beautiful and I sort of recommend it. I think I just expected it to be something different.

10. pookie

pookie New Member

poll question

not dungeon siege. too boring and repetetive.

11. Rat Keeng

Rat Keeng New Member

I'm actually downloading the DS demo right now, about 1 hour left, and i haven't played NWN either.

I have played Morrowind though, and truth be told, it's good. I don't know if you've ever played Daggerfall, but if you have and liked it, you will most likely like Morrowind (seeing as how it is the third game in the series). One negative thing i can think of is the skill "Speechcraft", it doesn't have that much of an effect, but it's fun to use none the less. So i'll just vote for Morrowind.

12. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Like I said... SP DS is boring, since you can't get passed about lvl 40, and the storyline is very linear.

MP is cool, because it playes better than SP, when played as SP! It's better with other people though. Also, once you get passed about lvl 60, you get access to the cool spells! Lots more fun.... :wink:

13. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Morrowind is cool. I have gotten lost a thousand times, paniked several times, and i have not explored 1/10 of the map. I have not followed the main quest at all and it is still a great game. I em hunting for a glassarmor right now, but i em wondering if i should start to use heavy.

14. Riciky

Riciky New Member

Poopy

Bah. You guys are poopy. Granted, i've only played neverwinter nights... I did play the dungeon siege demo. And it stunkzxored. Neverwinter nights is gooder then the morrowind cus I haven't played it. Even though i've spent $400 upgrading my computer to get NWN running. (It turned out I needed a power strip! But it's ok, my geforce 1 made my monitor green anyway... now i have a geforce 4 ti 4600.. in da hizouse). And so, I *absolve thee with poopy... And no, this isn't my first post (3rd?), I had to dig up this name to respond to this overwhelming poopy. Thank you.

*I would look up the definition of "absolve" but smarterchild (AIM bot) is gone.

15. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

that was just funny to read... heh. absolve thee with poopy... heh... and i thought charles had bad grammer...

16. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Dungeon Siege sucks .1 day most :evil:

Morrowind is playable for 3 weeks. :lol:

NWN did not play yet. :minigun:

17. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

FPS it is not....

FPS stands for "First-Person Shooter", if I am not mistaken. So unless you go around with a bow as your pirmary weapon I don't see any reason to class it as a shooter.

It is played from a first person perspective, yes. The first person is not the sole domain of action shoot-em-ups. I cannot depict Morrowind played in any other way. From an isometric view wouldn't it look exactly like BG? Only in first person does the world of Morrowind come alive.

If you are talking about "disconnected quests", I would say that Arcanum is more guilty of these than Morrowind. Most of the quests not connected to Morrowind's main storyline are actually quite cohesive, advancing you through Guilds and the Great Houses. It is a portrayal of a pauper rising through the ranks. In the case of the vampire quests it adds even more to the character of the game. In Arcanum I got the feeling that many of the sidequests were thrown in for the sake of prolonging the game.

Morrowind is one of the only games I have played other than Baldur's Gate that has atmosphere, gameplay, story and eye-candy all at once. Icewind Dale had only atmosphere, Arcanum had three out of four but lacked eye-candy, Dungeon Siege (sumrised by watching a friend play it) has only eye-candy - and a bit of gameplay. A game based on getting items with a slightly better name and slightly more damage, skills with slightly better stats and levels requiring through-the-roof amounts of experience. Neverwinter was a huge disappointment to me - as a game. They should have called it "The Aurora Toolset" instead and I would have been happy. The story uses so many cliches that I feel as though I'm playing Diablo and Baldur's Gate 2 all over again. I am sick of seeing posters of Aribeth drooling over her sword. Yes, she is a work of art but please stop using the obscene poses to sell the game. She doesn't feature that prominently anyway.

18. Settler

Settler Member

My opinion:

1. Dungeon Siege: Hack 'n' Slash (that's a bad thing), albeit a good hack 'n' slash. Nothing to see for true RPG fans.

2. NeverWinter Nights: Looks incredible, should play magnificently, but it's D&D! I loathe D&D - bad bad bad.

3. Morrowind: Good engine, great character creation, but there's something wrong...

Feel free to flame me.[/i]

19. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

Err... I think most FPS do have melee weapons. It is real time, you have to aim with your real life dexterity, it has next weapon/spell function etc. Well, I would call it an FPS (that is also an RPG).
    Although I liked the char creation I hated the leveling up, it begs to be exploited (strange rate of skill increase and silly attributes bonuses). Also I thought that the dialogues were silly (in comparison with Arcanum & company), and not important at all.
    I didn’t play much as I was deeply disappointed due to the extremes recommendations I read; my expectations were too high. Like I said I think it’s a good game, but for my taste it pales in comparison with Arcanum, Fallouts and Torment. I will probably come back to it in a few weeks.

Ps: why do so many people hate D&D so much?

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'm going to vote Morrowind. I haven't played the other games, but Morrowind is pretty damn good. I just got Warcraft 3, and that's great at the moment. The trouble with Morrowind is, it wore out for me after playing it for a solid 2 and a half months. I got 4 characters to the 30th level or so. I wanted to do more in the game, but I was paralysed by indecision, and also about the repetitiveness. The inability of the player to influence the main storyline kind of gets to you after a while. After playing games with so many possible endings, Morrowind's was kind of a disappointment. Still, I can't deny it is a very cool game. Being able to jump the river going through Balmora in a single bound is cool, and jumping from the top of the Foreign Quarter to the Hlaalu Canton in Vivec is also fun.

It's definitely good to play through 3 times or so though. One little bit of advice - try out the pre-set classes. I made my own class each time, and I think this shortened the game life for me. Sure, make your own class at least once, but also choose one of the pre-made. They're usually fairly well balanced, and they wouldn't have been included if you couldn't finish the game with them.

Our Host!